Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cairns is awesome. If only it had jobs. lol. I'd move their in a heartbeat but instead i'm stuck deciding between Melbourne, Perth & Sydney.

I really miss it and it's some where I will probably go back to once I'm a nurse and can obtain a visa. If I can get work too!

But you said £6 and its £17 + for steak http://www.odleyinns.co.uk/coach-horses/menu/

actually im glad you posted that as I use to think the UK was so much cheaper to eat out and it's not anymore.

Ok, latching on to this thread and tying-in on a similar topic from before I went on holiday, whilst on holiday we went from Wiltshire, to Yorkshire, to Cornwall to Kent, across to Belgium via France and a few places in-between. We have, over a 5.5 week period, had cheap meals and expensive meals, both at pubs and restaurants in both city and country and in tourist area's and non tourist. One of the better lunch time meals was also where we had one of our worst evening meals (got 25% discount). I had a nice Ham Egg and Chips at a pub in Winchester for 7.50 whilst Linda had a crappy fish & chips. I have two equal best meals (that is not including my Yorkshire fish& chips), one being an evening meal in a classy country village Restaurant ( the sort where you have to pay extra for the Veg's and potatoes), Fillet steak cooked to perfection on how ordered, cost about 28 quid. the other equal best meal was, though it pains me to say, was in Dunkirk France for lunch, a rack of pork ribs with chips and veg, masses of meat and it just fell off the bones, no sticky fingers cost about 12 quid. Worst meal was a rack of ribs in an American style diner in Leeds for 20 quid, totally tasteless and nothing with it.

A lot of people do like the Witherspoons meals, especially the meal and Pint deals each day, though we never went to one on this trip.

all in all I would say no different to Aus really. so all I can really say is that you try and if you like then that's the one, whether in UK or Australia.

And whats all this Bo110ck$ about hand cut chips? some of the so called hand cut chips served to me were so perfectly evenly shaped that if I were to try hand cutting the same it would take me all day and 20stone of spuds to produce one portion of chips.......all machine cut!

Couldnt even get that in Weatherspoons in the south east. For £5 i could probably just about get a breakfast stick (foot long) and thats in a greasy spoon. For a sit down breakfast, your looking at £7 / £8 round this way.

Only thing I can get for £3 is a meal deal from sainsburys lol

Thank you for backing me up. Bristolman is convinced I'm a liar! It just goes to show that the area you're living in makes a big difference to prices.

A lot of the discussion about breakfasts was confused because I (and some others) were quoting breakfast prices as including coffee or tea, whereas Bristolman was quoting prices for the food only. So for instance, I notice on his pub menu the Full English is £4, but add a latte at £2.40 and you're up to £6.40 - not that far off the £7 you're quoting.

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you for backing me up. Bristolman is convinced I'm a liar! It just goes to show that the area you're living in makes a big difference to prices.

A lot of the discussion about breakfasts was confused because I (and some others) were quoting breakfast prices as including coffee or tea, whereas Bristolman was quoting prices for the food only. So for instance, I notice on his pub menu the Full English is £4, but add a latte at £2.40 and you're up to £6.40 - not that far off the £7 you're quoting.

We did notice a few places offering all you can eat breakfast buffet for 3.99 pounds, and one was in a pub restaurant where Linda used to work, don't think you can knock that really with or without drinks