Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

Howard is always opining on who should and should not be on PIO, very tiresome, you don't need to justify yourself..

I also don't feel the need to justify why I choose to be on a forum, it is my decision and no one elses. To be asked by 2 different members is, as you say, tiresome.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some that bang on about how cheap the UK is, they seem to forget, some of us spend time there, while still living in Aus.

i will admit it was cheaper this year than when I was back last year.

but its not like going from the UK to Spain /Greece years ok, when it was dirt cheap.

from Perth to the UK, re living /expense/food/etc was the same.

The differences that could sway things are elsewhere...

I do get where you are coming from, up to a point. The UK is not cheap. We have to watch every penny, and we have budgeting down to a fine art. If for example you went to visit a national trust property and actually ate there, it would cost you a small fortune if you had just come from Australia. But for us, we have membership, and we take a picnic. It costs nothing. When I visit Perth, I stay with my family and we do go out, (but mostly do BBQ's and free stuff), but again, I watch what I spend, because it can be very expensive.

But for others going to Perth that don't know how it works, or don't watch the pennies - it can cost a lot.

Surprised it was cheaper this year than last, but I guess if you were spending pounds it would be. If you were spending dollars it would seem much more expensive now.

I reckon the pitfalls of any new migrant is comparing. Inevitable to start but after a while it'll bring you down especially when you're homesick and longing for familiarity. Wow, 30 yrs living in Oz and then move to England, that's a massive undertaking and can imagine a massive culture shock too.

I know very little of Southampton despite having lived in Bournemouth for several years but will be honest, have never heard great stories of the place and obviously never had any desire to visit it either. As lots of other posters have said, maybe a different town/city might be the go. I've lived in Canterbury, Salisbury and Shrewsbury and all lovely places to live so am sure plenty more out there too. You're not going to get the bistro scene of Sydney but once you're more settled in an area then surely you'll get to know more of the local cafes/restaurants that will suit you more.

I'm going back to UK for trip next week and did plenty homework on transport. Yes, train fares are very expensive but you can get them cheaper with buying in advance and railcards. Coaches lot cheaper but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm more than happy sitting with a good book myself.

Maybe, if you're feeling this down, focus on the reasons why you're there. Plan a short trip to a European city, day trip to London, book tickets to theatre, concert or whatever appeals to you. I've never been to Tasmania but if you moved there not sure the bistro scene of Sydney would be there either. Hope you start to feel better about it all soon!

To be quite honest I had someone else ask me this and I can't understand the fascination. As you say my choice and I don't see it as at all strange, I do find the fascination with my decision quite strange though. The answer to the question is it was my choice to do so, hope that helps.

Sorry but I was interested

But now I know different about a old user under new name fine...

I'd have thought that Blind Freddy would know that you've been posting on here for yonks under a few other usernames.

Why don't you just admit it, Chris?

I had no idea about this

Some of the replies reminded me of a certain poster from years ago

I guess you had your reasons for this

Uh, what ?

I told everyone when I came back after a break that I was a new user now

Why do you post on here? Someone's experience of Australia is just as baked as yours even if they have returned

I sometimes wonder myself lol

But I know I've helped so many in my times on here that makes it so worthwhile

I'm still living here and feel I have more to offer

I’m not sure why it’s strange Howard? I have never lived in Aus and have never had any desire to live there either but I’ve been a member of PIO for four years. I was researching a visit when I stumbled across the forum and like many others I lurked for quite a while before joining. I tend to post in areas CTF and MBTTUK as I know nothing about the visa process, but sometimes a thread title will catch my eye and I might venture into other areas.

I don’t really see PIO as ‘just’ an information forum for people moving to Australia, although I guess a lot of posters probably do. For me it’s a place for people with an interest in Australia because they want to live there, or do live there, have lived there, know people who live there……or just like to visit. And PIO has room for everyone I think? T x

I would again never have known that neither

I've read many of your posts and they're great reading

I agree it is for everyone

I feel that some post on here to cause trouble

I unfortunately have to post and it ends up making me look silly

I need to ignore more

I apologize to you

I personally don't care, if you are in Aus, coming to Aus , never want to set foot in the place!

your a valued member, a caring member, not out to cause trouble. Take more pleasure in your posts. Yes there is random numpties who post, nobody cares about them. But members like you, we do.

take care lovely xx

Sorry

Howard is always opining on who should and should not be on PIO, very tiresome, you don't need to justify yourself..

Sorry

I also don't feel the need to justify why I choose to be on a forum, it is my decision and no one elses. To be asked by 2 different members is, as you say, tiresome.

I was interested because you like to stir things on this forum which makes me defend

I will leave you to carry on

Most members will know who and why

I feel Howard is a frustrated moderator ...

says he does it elsewhere ...

But...maybe not right for this site??

We need more Ali's n Cals :wubclub:

I used to be a moderator and admin I agree

Somethings they never leave you

But I will now cease

I forget that everyone knows about certain members and how they post and can take what they say with a pinch of salt

But new members don't and I feel for them

I will take my moderator cap off for good now

• Like 1

I went to uni in Southampton and although enjoyed my time there I do remember it is largely a student town; once the students went home for the holidays the place was a ghost town! It mostly accommodated the students/young so the cheap bars/pubs/restaurants are likely to be dives filled with students! The nicer places to eat were usually outside the city going towards Winchester or the New Forest which of course then adds to the price tag!

Marisa out of interest had you visited the UK regularly over the years before you came?

We had been coming to Brisbane several times a year for the 10 years before we moved here, so sort of knew what to expect, and didn't find many unexpected surprises.

I used to visit every two years when my parents were alive, then it went down to every 4 or 5 years. I always found things expensive on those visits but put that down to the way one lives on holiday!

I think that comment explains your opening post, you didn't want to come here and that is coming through in your posts. When we arrived it was like slipping into a pair of comfy shoes.

Do you remember I mentioned culture shock in my early posts? I'm fully conscious of that.

Just had a lovely breakfast at beefeaters/premier inn.

Set for the day. Won't trouble you all with the cost.

I had a free breakfast on Qantas, not to start a war but it was better than BA's on the previous flight.

Just had a lovely breakfast at beefeaters/premier inn.

Set for the day. Won't trouble you all with the cost.

We stayed at the Premier Inn amongst others at our last visit and ate Brekkie at the Beefeater, was nice but not as nice as our local Sainsburys which was half the price . To be fair though the Beefeater was a buffet ( eat as much as you want ) I don't eat much though so it was a bit wasted on me.

Beefeater isn't cheap but always a good portion and you come away feeling full.

Kids eat free, so £16 for the five of us for a good full English, unlimited toast, croissants, crumpets, yogurts, cereals, plus juice and Costa coffee. They used to have naff sausages, but they have upped their game. They were top notch today. Can't see how they can make a profit. But hey.

Do you remember I mentioned culture shock in my early posts? I'm fully conscious of that.

After that period of time you are going to a foreign country. Even the people must be unrecognisable. UK has become very Cosmo. But I guess sydney must be too.

I'll preface this by

(a) reminding everyone that I've moved back from Sydney, which has a different cost of living and lifestyle than, say, Pert or Adelaide or Brisbane and

(b) saying that I'm well aware my feelings are influenced by all the stresses of being a stranger in a strange land (I haven't lived in the UK for 30 years). Who knows, in a few months I may be loving it, but right now I just have to moan to someone and you guys are the only people available!

We've made up our minds we're going to stick it out in England for two years but right now I'm gritting my teeth when I say that. If we hadn't already invested so much money into this, I think we'd both be on the plane to Hobart tomorrow (which was our second choice).

Actually we're shell-shocked by how much money it has cost us so far. I assumed we'd be able to find a furnished flat for the first six months or so, but the standard of furnished flats is just shocking so we've had to take one unfurnished. All I can say is, thank God for Ikea, because the cost of furniture everywhere else is frightening. I'm sure it's frightening in Oz too, it's just that it's ten years since I had to buy any and I had no idea a cheap sofa cost over £500. Not to mention the exorbitant admin fees charged by estate agents (and the 3% extra they charge for overseas debit cards).

We're also finding day-to-day living costly. We've had to change our lifestyle, because in Sydney we're used to eating out once a day - whether it's breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or dinner. We can't afford that here, it's all too dear. A big part of the problem is alcohol - most restaurants in Sydney are BYO - but food prices are higher as well. We had lunch at Nando's the other day and the meals cost us double what it costs in Sydney. An English breakfast in most cafes here is also double the price. And yes, even Wetherspoon's is expensive by comparison, though some of its specials come close. It's weird because if anything, food prices in the supermarkets seem slightly cheaper.

So suddenly we're sitting in the flat on our own for meals, which doesn't help our feelings of isolation. But hey, we can compensate for that - we're going to have more interesting things to do, like dancing and rambling and going to shows and visiting abbeys and castles, right?

Except I forgot to check the cost of travel. Rail travel is so ridiculously expensive - $100 just to get us to London, a distance no further than the Blue Mountains from Sydney. Locally, there isn't nearly as much going on as I'd expected in a city the size of Southampton.

Buy a car, you say? Everyone here talks about how expensive cars are in Australia but we're finding the second-hand market here just as dear. We can't buy a car equivalent to the one we sold in Sydney for a similar price. I guess we're feeling so poor after all the money we've already spent - and all the hurdles we've had to clear as "foreigners" trying to get bank accounts, leases etc set up - that we can't quite face spending several more thousand pounds on a car, insurance problems etc .

I'm sure it will get better but right now I'm wondering what the hell we've done.

Make, year and milage. I don't believe it.

Make, year and milage. I don't believe it.

Can I also repeat this request. Without providing this data, your whole post is starting to sound like a sour grapes winge Marisa. Please can we have the car details. I would also question the move to Southampton, when from memory, you were advised that wasn't the most advisable place on another thread. Why Southampton?

funny that about the car thing, i've been back in the UK 5 weeks now after 11 years in Melbourne.

New cars are cheaper in Australia - a fact. I've been looking at buying a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 SE-L NAV here in UK with about 10,000 miles on the clock £14,000.

That is the same price in AUD on Mazda Australia's website for a equivalent new one.($28,000). Even the base Mazda 3 2014 in the UK starts at £13,000, where in Australia you'd be looking at $19,000

As for a late model car for £2000 that would buy you a very high mileage unreliable banger. That would be the last thing you'd want to break down on the motorway where they use the hard shoulder as an extra lane.

funny that about the car thing, i've been back in the UK 5 weeks now after 11 years in Melbourne.

New cars are cheaper in Australia - a fact. I've been looking at buying a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 SE-L NAV here in UK with about 10,000 miles on the clock £14,000.

That is the same price in AUD on Mazda Australia's website for a equivalent new one.($28,000). Even the base Mazda 3 2014 in the UK starts at £13,000, where in Australia you'd be looking at $19,000

As for a late model car for £2000 that would buy you a very high mileage unreliable banger. That would be the last thing you'd want to break down on the motorway where they use the hard shoulder as an extra lane.

New cars and second hand cars are a lot more expensive in Oz even when higher earnings are involved...fact

Can I also repeat this request. Without providing this data, your whole post is starting to sound like a sour grapes winge Marisa. Please can we have the car details. I would also question the move to Southampton, when from memory, you were advised that wasn't the most advisable place on another thread. Why Southampton?

Don't hold your breath mate, the cost of second hand cars in Oz is unbelievably high compared to the UK.

Hello John, got a new motor?

For the majority of people the most expensive item they will ever buy in their life is a house. We looked at house prices in Australia the other week.

Then there is the second most expensive item they will ever buy and for some that is a helicopter and for others it is a cruiser. But for the rest of us it is going to be a car. So today I am looking at the price of cars here in Australia compared with the UK.

As usual with my “Cost of Living – Australia” category, the method behind my investigation is purely random (guesswork). I have checked out the prices of five new (in blue) and five used (in red) cars both here in Australia and over in the UK. The results are quite surprising.

car-prices.jpgAustralia vs UK: Car Prices

The total cost of the 10 Australian cars was $288,365 whereas the cost of the similar specification cars from England was £115,029. Despite today’s exchange rate being a very low 1.93 Aussie dollars to the pound, you could have still bought the Australian cars for a whopping 23% less in England.

Here in Australia those same cars would have cost £149,411, that’s a massive £34,382 dearer than in the UK!

How's the mazda 3 hunt? How about a spec for spec Hyundai i30?

I know something cheaper in UK than Australia, wages.:wink: Particularly for barmen