Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done.

Would you get defensive over Australia and run Scotland down?

Thanks. I can't really take the credit for being born Scottish, but I'll pass on your congratulations to my mum for doing such a great job. :-)

I don't have any great polarising issues at the moment, and even if I did, then I like to see both sides of a point of view.

Edited by Suzukiscottie

Problem is fiona is that you pay 5 bucks and you serve you that :elvis: then you spend 50 bucks cleaning the seat of you car from puke...are you honestly saying you would eat that? what is the white bloom on the sausage anyway.

There wasn't a sausage on the pic I'm referring to??

Ha, I love how ENGLISH people on here get so defensive about AUSTRALIA!?

Have you only read the last bit of the thread ?Read from page 1 and you will see its the negatives the OP wrote about the UK that stemmed all the tit for tat, mainly from those who have returned or want to return and dont like reading negatives about the UK.

Cal x

Ha, I love how ENGLISH people on here get so defensive about AUSTRALIA!?

I agree you need to keep up...

I'll never say a bad word about the UK

I only say the truth about my life in Australia where I live here

The ones that get their nickers in a twist are those in the UK

So many members join this forum when they return to the UK lol

No idea why they didn't when they lived here lol

Surely being new to an area doesn't help, as you essentially fall into tourist traps and your not thinking in the local currency. When I first moved to Melbourne everything seemed rediculously expensive, but I was converting everything into pounds at £1/$1.40 and depleting savings. Once I started earning dollars prices seemed a lot more normal and in time I found cafes and supermarket food that were good value. Also you accept some differences and get used to them. For example eating out seemed expensive compared to London where we'd often use pizza express vouchers or tastecard, but after a while we 'discovered' the dumpling restaurants in Chinatown are not something I had every had in London and are superb value.

Surely being new to an area doesn't help, as you essentially fall into tourist traps and your not thinking in the local currency. When I first moved to Melbourne everything seemed rediculously expensive, but I was converting everything into pounds at £1/$1.40 and depleting savings. Once I started earning dollars prices seemed a lot more normal and in time I found cafes and supermarket food that were good value. Also you accept some differences and get used to them. For example eating out seemed expensive compared to London where we'd often use pizza express vouchers or tastecard, but after a while we 'discovered' the dumpling restaurants in Chinatown are not something I had every had in London and are superb value.

Spot on. You have nailed it absolutely. That, and as others have said, Southampton is not a great destination. I used to live near Southampton and in my view it is a place that you live either because you were brought up there or due to work commitments; it is definitely not a destination of choice.

Well, the car I sold in Australia was worth $10,000 second-hand and that's the kind of car I'd like again. From what others had said, I expected a similar model car to be cheaper but in fact it's not. And I note that although you can point out cheap sofas, you obviously admit they're rubbish as you yourself ended up with a £900 one!

Of course I can save money if I'm prepared to sit on furniture fit for student digs, buy an old banger and eat pie and chips instead of grills and salads - but that's not the point. I'm complaining because for me to have the same quality of life and possessions that I had in Sydney, it's costing me more. And I'm not making it up just to annoy you.

As a matter of interest, where did you live in Sydney?

The problem is now you are just twisting people's words. You said it wasn't possible to buy a sofa for less than £500 which a few people have pointed out isn't accurate. How does that the fact that we paid £900 show that the cheap ones are rubbish ? Lol. We bought the one we wanted, it had nothing to do with price.

can I ask exactly what the car was that you sold ? Again you said you couldn't find cheap cars but then say you are looking for something specific.

I didn't know the circumstances of your move and it seems to me you are very bitter about it and understandably taking it out on the country.

You do not need to use furniture fit for students or drive an old banger and eat pie and chips, we do none of those things.

I have never lived in Sydney, it's not somewhere that has ever appealed to me.

whether Australia or UK I still wouldn't eat it Howard ! But if u enjoy it good on ya ! But it's nothing to do with Aus or UK for me if its **** tastes **** or looks **** I'll bin it lol :)

I must admit it doesn't look that appealing to me and the price is probably about right. I don't care what country it was in I would still send it back.

Have you only read the last bit of the thread ?Read from page 1 and you will see its the negatives the OP wrote about the UK that stemmed all the tit for tat, mainly from those who have returned or want to return and dont like reading negatives about the UK.

Cal x

Again I can only comment for myself but it really isn't a case of not liking to read negatives about the UK, it is about inaccuracies and gross exaggerations. As I have said reverse it and imagine the comments. I have said both countries have their share of faults but I will try and correct inaccuracies though.

Spot on. You have nailed it absolutely. That, and as others have said, Southampton is not a great destination. I used to live near Southampton and in my view it is a place that you live either because you were brought up there or due to work commitments; it is definitely not a destination of choice.

I might have to live there to do my nursing degree, I don't want to as Southampton doesn't appeal to me in the slightest but it's close by and the uni has one of the best reps for health and science degrees.

Yep, spot on.

I must admit it doesn't look that appealing to me and the price is probably about right. I don't care what country it was in I would still send it back.

The he thing is Bristol man , I am not knocking Australia it's a beautilbcountry to look at , I'm not saying it's bad to live in but I have no fire in my belly I carny really explain it . Alls I know I carny put my finger on it or I'm just crap at explaining without offends ding someone although if I was face to face I would go around the houses not to offend someone but I probably still end up doing lol :) and whether I was in UK or here I still want what I like or is it me !i also like a good laugh lol and a dance :)

Edited by Shellybingobingo

I also don't understand why people think marrisa has picked a crap destination only ever been Southhampton with the dance troupes and to catch a ferry to the Isle of Wight though lol . But I lived in Stoke and people knock it , I don't know why it has some beautiful places to go if u drive and the people are the most friendliest on the planet ! Stoke is frowned up on ok my hubby could never get work in Stoke only at the start of his career he had to travel or stay over non to fri but at least I saw him every weekend ! And when he worked in Wales he travelled there and back every day !

Edited by Shellybingobingo

I agree with ShellyBB - every place has good and not so good areas. It all depends what you are looking for. Southampton has an amazing theatre with West End productions, The Common and it is close to the New Forest. There is a direct National Coach which takes just over 2 hours to get to London and costs much less than the train. My mum lives in Marchwood, not somewhere I would rush to live, however she is involved in the twin town committee, plays badminton, volunteers at the church cafe twice a week, does computer and French classes. She has a very busy full life and enjoys popping into town (Southampton) on the bus or getting the ferry across from Hythe. I recently have moved back to the UK and have not gone back to the same area I was brought up in, so all a learning experience for me, but overall people have been really friendly and I have been fortunate to get a really good job straight away (after a gruelling interview process!). My girls love it here and have settled into school and life really easily. Yes, we all have those 'what have I done moments' but right now I love the variety of the countryside - it is absolutely stunning. I am getting used to driving here. I have find some things cheaper and some things dearer, but love the variety of food in the shops and having those yummy things I missed in Oz. The berry fruits at the moment are just amazing - a large punnett of blueberries for 2 pounds :) Hang in there Marisa :)

If it was a perfect breakfast you'd find fault with it :wink:

Just saying lol

Again I can only comment for myself but it really isn't a case of not liking to read negatives about the UK, it is about inaccuracies and gross exaggerations. As I have said reverse it and imagine the comments. I have said both countries have their share of faults but I will try and correct inaccuracies though.

You know something this is all I seem to do on here

Have you noticed I never say anything bad about the UK

I just comment on living here in Australia

You always seem to have something to say about that also

Yes Sir!

Thanks for that :cool:

The bistro/ foodie scene does exist in the UK, BUT not everywhere. We lived in Ramsbottom, north of Manchester. A small town/ big village. Lots of places to eat out and very reasonable too, all a stroll away. Main drawback............just too cold and damp!!

If I moved back I would consider Shrewsbury ( the centre ) for weather and eating out/ culture. Or maybe Lincoln or parts of Kent.

Any reason you chose Southhapmton. Worcester might have been a better choice down there. Good theatre too.