Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

Bloody southerners lol :laugh: We got new windows recently but we've both said we've felt colder since then. Other than the last 2 days! It must be our imagination though, the other ones were quite old

Our houses was warmer in winter, but has felt cooler this summer after new triple glazed windows.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100% how anyone can say cloths are better quality in Oz needs specsavers.

Definitely needs specsavers!going for a holiday to uk in 5 weeks,and boy am i looking forward to shopping.just get quality clothes for the money that you pay.majority of time here i have been shopping at topshop

How is any of this helping Marisa? If anything all it proves is it's subjective - we all lead different lifestyles and perceive things differently so why worry about what anyone else's opinion is on the price or sofas, cars or bloody breakfast in different parts of the UK or Australia? What matters here is one of our long-standing members has migrated (the direction is irrelevant!) and is struggling. If the children want to have a 'mine is better than yours neh, neh, neh' discussion then please start your own thead on CTF which I can ignore.There's a good chance Marisa will miss Quoll's very good advice about trains as a result of all the in-fighting.

Don't buy clothes in Oz then. Order online from Next, Debenhams, M&S or John Lewis. Or my friend's preferred option, take all your favourite work suits, skirts and shirts with you to Bali/Thailand and have copies made up :-) Or stock up when you go back to the UK for a holiday.

I order online too,get it delivered at my mums in uk.when i go back next month i shall bring them back with me

Some thoughts about trains - one of my friends swears by Red Spotted Hankie and another always books through Virgin. I'm never that organised but if you are - ahem - of a certain age the Seniors Card is quite a good investment I've discovered.

If Marisa is 60 or over and not in full-time employment, wouldn't she be entitled to a Seniors Card which would help a great deal with fares etc? My sister has just turned 60 - retired and gets free transport in London - saves her a small fortune.

If Marisa is 60 or over and not in full-time employment, wouldn't she be entitled to a Seniors Card which would help a great deal with fares etc? My sister has just turned 60 - retired and gets free transport in London - saves her a small fortune.

Exactly. I posted something similar a few pages ago, but it got lost amongst the bacon and eggs and 'willy waggling'.. :laugh:

The other things she might find herself entitled to (I'm sorry Marisa, I don't know how old you are, so I hope I'm not offending you) are free prescriptions, free dental care, free eye tests and cut price specs. It might not make a huge difference, but it's better than nothing.

I agree with Quoll's friends - redspottedhanky, trailine etc are pretty good, although often no cheaper than booking direct with Virgin, East Coast. Always worth a look though and if you book well in advance you can get some good deals.

My daughter has a young persons railcard and although it can only be used at off peak times, does save her money when she comes home from London (still not as cheap as the megabus). A seniors railcard works in the same way.

Does a UK Senior Card really entitle one to free transport in London? Tube and everything? That would be a great saving. Along with the lack of need for a car if so puts London in a better perspective.

Please quote me with a cheaper Aussie car. I found a three year old Mercedes c220, £12000, $40000, but there must be some cheaper cars in oz?

It would be very hard to find a cheaper equivalent s/h car in Australia. Some new cars are cheaper but once they are out of the showroom no way.

How is any of this helping Marisa? If anything all it proves is it's subjective - we all lead different lifestyles and perceive things differently so why worry about what anyone else's opinion is on the price or sofas, cars or bloody breakfast in different parts of the UK or Australia? What matters here is one of our long-standing members has migrated (the direction is irrelevant!) and is struggling. If the children want to have a 'mine is better than yours neh, neh, neh' discussion then please start your own thead on CTF which I can ignore.There's a good chance Marisa will miss Quoll's very good advice about trains as a result of all the in-fighting.

Like you I tried to get the thread back on track, get so fed up yet again with threads hijacked and being reduced to stupid infighting between posters who are only interested in their own pathetic school yard bickering.

Hope Marisa keeps posting, as there is some good advice from some us who are genuinely trying to help a poster who is struggling with a move to a another country.

If you want more you ask for more and add to the cost

The cafe is near a petrol station which also has a Dr's surgery and larger chemist outlet.

Its about 3km from Westfield and 4km from Harbourtown the other way

To be honest I wouldn't want to see you in there either

You sound a biy snobby to me like a few others

I'm down to earth

You'll never have to put up with eating it as you'll never vist these shores again

I'm sure you won't be missed lol

I bet if that was shown to you from a cafe in the UK you'd be defending it roflmao

I think 12 is a bit OTT tbh

Again your choice

I'm pointing out to those who say you can't get bla bla in Australia

Well I'm only showing them you can

Some don't like to be wrong lol

You do get what you pay

Correct

You know something I'm full after eating one myself

I'm not a pig wanting more

Snobs for sure

But they don't live here so not actually sure why they'd moan about it so much

I'm sure they'll all be out at local cafe's ordering breakfasts to post a pic of on here

This is what you call a breakfast :laugh:

im down to earth Helenhoward , but I am very sorry if I have offended you ! Don't mean to I just couldn't eat that if it was free!

And and I am probably about as snobby as you ! When u whinged about my fags ! At least we both know where we stand !

You our carry on eating ya greasy breakfasts , I'll carry on smoking me fags ! Lol ;)

Not sure why everyone got so defensive over Marisa's valid post. Hopefully she can get discounts as suggested in other posts. Not sure running down Australia is very helpful, I'm sure she knows how much she can pay for a breakfast she wants there and the lifestyle on offer.

Exactly. I posted something similar a few pages ago, but it got lost amongst the bacon and eggs and 'willy waggling'.. :laugh:

The other things she might find herself entitled to (I'm sorry Marisa, I don't know how old you are, so I hope I'm not offending you) are free prescriptions, free dental care, free eye tests and cut price specs. It might not make a huge difference, but it's better than nothing.

I agree with Quoll's friends - redspottedhanky, trailine etc are pretty good, although often no cheaper than booking direct with Virgin, East Coast. Always worth a look though and if you book well in advance you can get some good deals.

My daughter has a young persons railcard and although it can only be used at off peak times, does save her money when she comes home from London (still not as cheap as the megabus). A seniors railcard works in the same way.

Just so everyone us aware, not picking fault.. But dental care in UK is not free based on age. You have to be in receipt of certain benefits.

Edited by Bound4Tassie

Not sure why everyone got so defensive over Marisa's valid post. Hopefully she can get discounts as suggested in other posts. Not sure running down Australia is very helpful, I'm sure she knows how much she can pay for a breakfast she wants there and the lifestyle on offer.

I can only comment on myself but it wasn't so much being defensive but more disbelief as it didn't match any of our experiences. As I said if someone went to Australia and said you couldn't buy a sofa for less than $1000, a breakfast cost $20, a car was $10,000 and pub food was expensive wouldn't you fully expect people to say 'hang on a minute...' ?

Are you kidding? Its all burnt for a start, and that bacon looks like someones brought it back up!

Looks fine to me. Just shows how peoples perspectives differ. I would pay $10 for that and not feel too hard done to. I spend about $15-$20 on a breakfast out here. I don't really begrudge it if I go to the right place....

I have to say I am surprised by your post, @Marisawright. From your previous postings, I thought you were well settled and happy in Australia, successful at work in a senior management role, level headed and pragmatic.

Yes I was - then I married a man with a sun allergy and a phobia about UV light. I was faced with the choice of moving somewhere with a lower UV index, or living with a vampire for the rest of my life!

I must say it's great to be able to go out walking with my oh in daylight hours again, it's the one compensation of moving so far. And yes, logically I had anticipated a big setup cost but actually spending the money still hurts. And I had completely missed the fact that "the whole bistro scene" doesn't exist in the UK - it's so fundamental to Sydney life that it I took it for granted!

Yes I was - then I married a man with a sun allergy and a phobia about UV light. I was faced with the choice of moving somewhere with a lower UV index, or living with a vampire for the rest of my life!

I must say it's great to be able to go out walking with my oh in daylight hours again, it's the one compensation of moving so far. And yes, logically I had anticipated a big setup cost but actually spending the money still hurts. And I had completely missed the fact that "the whole bistro scene" doesn't exist in the UK - it's so fundamental to Sydney life that it I took it for granted!

To be fair the whole bistro scene doesn't exist where you are, your city of choice is somewhat bewildering for many of us I think.

I can only comment on myself but it wasn't so much being defensive but more disbelief as it didn't match any of our experiences. As I said if someone went to Australia and said you couldn't buy a sofa for less than $1000, a breakfast cost $20, a car was $10,000 and pub food was expensive wouldn't you fully expect people to say 'hang on a minute...' ?

Well, the car I sold in Australia was worth $10,000 second-hand and that's the kind of car I'd like again. From what others had said, I expected a similar model car to be cheaper but in fact it's not. And I note that although you can point out cheap sofas, you obviously admit they're rubbish as you yourself ended up with a £900 one!

Of course I can save money if I'm prepared to sit on furniture fit for student digs, buy an old banger and eat pie and chips instead of grills and salads - but that's not the point. I'm complaining because for me to have the same quality of life and possessions that I had in Sydney, it's costing me more. And I'm not making it up just to annoy you.

As a matter of interest, where did you live in Sydney?