Is Medicare sufficient enough?

dagefo

My wife and I will soon be heading to Perth on a 457 visa. I've understood and the jiggling with only being able to get Medicare through the reciprocal agreement once we arrive. But my question is "is medicare sufficient enough?"

We are both generally healthy people, both turning 30 this year, no kids. I don't expect to require a doctor often and only in an emergency / sudden illness. So is medicare enough when compared to this kind of service through the NHS? I should point out we will be taking out additional ambulance only cover though! Don't want to get caught out with that one!

Private medical insurance seems to be very expensive when on a 457 visa and if the reciprocal agreement covers pretty much all the we would need I don't see the need to shell out hundreds of dollars each month for it.

Any advice would be most welcomed

Thanks!! :-)

It has always been sufficient for us, we are a family of four who are reasonably healthy and don't often see the GP. We instead pay an amount into a dedicated savings account so that should we wish to go privately at any point, we have the money with which to do so. We do have ambulance cover, we had to call an ambulance for our baby three days after we arrived and landed a big bill as a result, and OH owns an optometry practice so our eye needs are met, but otherwise we have found Medicare to be sufficient.

Yes. I think we will probably do a side fund in the event of such things as they wouldn't really warrant such a large monthly outgoing as the quoted medical insurance, especially when these extras are included.

Do check though the tax. If you earn over a certain amount you will be hit with a charge by the government if you don't have hospital cover.

If that doesn't apply then dental and ambulance is sufficient. We recently dropped out hospital as I am no longer earning enough to be hit in tax. After shopping around we found Medibank the cheapest for a dental and ambulance cover.

As young, generally healthy people with no kids medicare should be good enough. As others have said maybe worth getting ambulance cover. Dental and Optical depends on whether you think you will need it? When I was your age I didn't wear glasses and didn't go to the dentist for years. The Optical cover has been good since I started having to wear glasses. Didn't happen till I was about 55 though, so up to that time it would have been a waste of money.

On temporary visas you have to be a bit careful - Medicare will expect you to return home for things it calls elective - you might think they're essential but Medicare might not! For example, if you had gallstone pain that might not be considered essential medical cover and they'd expect you to go home to get it fixed surgically. I also know one chap who had a catastrophic accident on a temporary visa and he had to be repatriated with doctors and nurses in attendance (he had insurance which covered it). It'll be a risk you take but that's why they recommend that temporary visa holders have additional insurance

On temporary visas you have to be a bit careful - Medicare will expect you to return home for things it calls elective - you might think they're essential but Medicare might not! For example, if you had gallstone pain that might not be considered essential medical cover and they'd expect you to go home to get it fixed surgically. I also know one chap who had a catastrophic accident on a temporary visa and he had to be repatriated with doctors and nurses in attendance (he had insurance which covered it). It'll be a risk you take but that's why they recommend that temporary visa holders have additional insurance

The guy who had the catastrophic accident would have been covered if he was from the UK. They have a reciprocal arrangement. My wife works in oncology and sees a lot of people from the UK on temporary visas and they get the same level of care that Aussie's who are not private get. He might have chosen to go back if he had insurance but if he was bad enough to need an ambulance and he got to ED then he would have been looked after just fine.

The guy who had the catastrophic accident would have been covered if he was from the UK. They have a reciprocal arrangement. My wife works in oncology and sees a lot of people from the UK on temporary visas and they get the same level of care that Aussie's who are not private get. He might have chosen to go back if he had insurance but if he was bad enough to need an ambulance and he got to ED then he would have been looked after just fine.

He was definitely cared for very well - intensive care and all that but there came a point at which the decision was that he was well enough to return to UK for the next medical interventions he required. As a temporary visa holder he was expected to go home to continue his medical treatment. That's the nature of temporary!

you would still need extras cover for dental and optical though.

This is what we have

We find this to be very cost effective as 2 pairs of glasses a year each and 2 checkup and cleans at the dentist all included

Plus other things like physio can also come in handy

We have HCF

Our Ambulance cover in Qld is in with electric bill

It has been confirmed that my work are fine with Medicare cover under the reciprocal agreement with the UK so no issue there.

I do wear glasses but have not required a change in lenses for the last 3 years so not a common change. with regards dentists - I plan on getting a nagging potential filling fixed before leaving the UK just to make sure!

We recently spent close to $1000 on my daughters teeth. Foolishly we thought she was covered under Medicare for dental until she was 12, but apparently not on a 457 visa. Her teeth look and feel lovely now though.... haha

Indeed both but especially dental can be horrendously expensive.

Other than the dental issue, we have found Medicare to be quite sufficient. A&E have so far looked after our daughter very well with a suspected broken arm and my wife with an allergic reaction to a hungry horsefly as well as a painful spider bite.

You will obviously need to have private cover until you've arrived and set yourselves up with Medicare, but we are generally a healthy family and have found that Medicare has so far been very kind to us. :)

Edited by ToowoombaBlue

Whilst on a 457 the missus went to the local gp. They didn't bulk bill so she paid $70 and got something like $33 back - she had a follow up appt that was covered by the first appointment though which meant her $37 out of pocket covered 2 doctors visits - value for money!

I recently had a root canal treatment at the dentist which all in cost $1600 - this wasn't covered by the 457 visa insurance but happy with the result. If you need dental I'd say to shop around to get something that covers it....we simply went with the health insurance that met the visa requirements so got something cheap and not very useful heh.

I think to address your question - as a medicare holder (reciprocal - basically the same) that's enough for you needs, the health system is comparable to the UK so you can rely on it.

Jamie

Dont forget age loading, it may be prudent to get a policy (cheapest usually) so that you can get around that. Extras would be my minimum particularly dental as that can add up quickly.

Have a read: http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/lifetimehealthcover.htm

Yep, we didn't know about this and didn't take out health cover when we were granted PR. As a result, given our ages, it is cheaper for us to pay the medicare loading as higher earners, than pay the age loading on health insurance.

This is what we have

We find this to be very cost effective as 2 pairs of glasses a year each and 2 checkup and cleans at the dentist all included

Plus other things like physio can also come in handy

We have HCF

Our Ambulance cover in Qld is in with electric bill

Hi, we have been looking on the government website and it states that the qld has ambulance cover covered by the state?

Thanks

I discovered HBF do reasonably priced cover for WA. About £100 for the year for the two of us, just for ambulance cover. As we aren't actually there yet I have no idea if this is any good but it specifically covers us on a 457 visa which was a major thumbs up for me. Will investigate more when we arrive!