The NHS

bristolman

I don't often rant, it's pointless really but I will make an exception lol. I have noticed a few people talking about the 'cuts to the NHS' and how the Tories are going to privatise the whole thing. What a load of Labour nonsense. The Tories have made no cuts to the NHS budget and have increased it at least in line with inflation. Also Labour have privatised more of the NHS than the Conservatives. The Conservatives have also employed more nurses, doctors and other staff than Labour but still people will not believe the truth. I know others are fed up with it as well because I have read their comments.

Because it is information for people considering moving back to the UK. It is important they get a balanced view of what is really happening with the NHS.

That reads a little odd when the post above has been deleted. Lol. If admin want to move it that's fine.

I don't often rant, it's pointless really but I will make an exception lol. I have noticed a few people talking about the 'cuts to the NHS' and how the Tories are going to privatise the whole thing. What a load of Labour nonsense. The Tories have made no cuts to the NHS budget and have increased it at least in line with inflation. Also Labour have privatised more of the NHS than the Conservatives. The Conservatives have also employed more nurses, doctors and other staff than Labour but still people will not believe the truth. I know others are fed up with it as well because I have read their comments.

Righto. That piece covered by the press about obscene waits in A&E in Stoke following Stafford A&E closure must be fictitious then...and the photos of the double corridor queue overspill from the waiting room......and the acknowledgement form the hospital that they can't cope...all a load of rubbish made up by labour voters....ho hum

Hang on I haven't said any of that is made up, read what I actually wrote first. I haven't said anything about overly long waiting times, I haven't said anything to the effect that nothing will be privatised. I haven't said it's all a bed of roses, I am referring to the belief that the Conservatives are in some way wrecking the NHS and that they are cutting funding. Before you go off half cocked just read what I actually wrote ☺

Hang on I haven't said any of that is made up, read what I actually wrote first. I haven't said anything about overly long waiting times, I haven't said anything to the effect that nothing will be privatised. I haven't said it's all a bed of roses, I am referring to the belief that the Conservatives are in some way wrecking the NHS and that they are cutting funding. Before you go off half cocked just read what I actually wrote ☺

Typical PIO diversion tactics.

Righto. That piece covered by the press about obscene waits in A&E in Stoke following Stafford A&E closure must be fictitious then...and the photos of the double corridor queue overspill from the waiting room......and the acknowledgement form the hospital that they can't cope...all a load of rubbish made up by labour voters....ho hum

I wish it was all made up :/

never enough staff in the hospitals it seems. Either that or patients are getting more demanding.

There are jobs advertised often for vacancies so don't know what the issue is. A lot of the MOPRS wards have a high staff turn over because it can be very stressful.

From someone who works in the NHS there are massive cuts but also the move to commissioned services - ie private companies paying the NHS to deliver on certain targets and that the work has to be targeted to deleiver those results rather than providing the other services. I am no longer 'paid' to deliever a holisitc service and if the activitiy isnt' commissioned (ie. emotional health support, self harm stratgeies, weight management, smoking cessation, sex education and pregnancy/infection prevention,low mood) then requested to 're-focus' on the activity we are paid to do. The roles have been demished from when we orginally trained. Community nurses have increased ie. health visitors as part of the early intervention drive, but then the focus on training new nurses for other areas has dropped - then leaving a national shortage of school nurses and acute hospital nurses (to name a few).

My area are again undergoing another re-design - again to save money and staff will be cut again; the numbers of nurses who have had enough of too much work and not enough hours/staff and leaving the NHS is rising, leaving vacant posts which are then not filled as part of the savings to be made by the trust. Staff morale is so low, how can you do a good quality job for all your patients when not enough staff? Which then impacts upon your own health - Or being told that you are to re-focus nursing attention from someone in emotional distress because we are not 'paid' to do that - nursing has definately changed for the worse in the UK.

The mental health unit I worked in was closed down.I got a promo to another MHU,started off ok but 18ths ago were told we didn't have the budget to use bank staff any longer,and to top that off,the full time staff we'rent permittied to do overtime.It was all about cuts cuts and more cuts.In the end,I threw in the towel.

To be fair, it is not only the conservatives who make cuts. Our ED and medical assessment unit has been suffering for years with massive waits for beds since labour was in because they closed all our peripheral hospitals and lots of beds in those that are left. This in Turn means that there is nowhere for these patients to go so they block acute beds. On top of that demand for treatment has drastically increased due to people living longer (because the NHS is contrary to popular belief doing a good job at times) people are also becoming much more demanding. We have had families dictate to us that ther loved one is not to go anywhere except home from our ITU. Where's the sense in that?! Their perfectly stable relative was then blocking a critical care bed for someone who had had a cardiac arrest!! Until a consultant anaesthetist with a spine came and sorted it out. since the conservatives came in I have found much more opportunity as a nurse to move to new areas to expand my skills and experience as there are more jobs to apply for. Whereas when I qualified, my intake were told that we were in trouble because there were only 5 jobs for the 61 of us who qualified. I was lucky enough to get one of those jobs and have worked in a variety of settings since. Yes there are cuts, and yes there are services being privatised, but no more than there were under Labour. I voted plaid Cymru anyway. I too as an NHS employee find it very disheartening to read nothing but bad and doom and gloom about the NHS. Hey people!! There are good stories too! They just don't sell papers unfortunately.

Labour is to blame for the influx of migrants who use the NHS. It was never designed to look after the whole of Europe. God bless you nurses and doctors working with finate resources due to the inept Labour Party. Bloody Blair has a lot to answer for.

This piece sums up pretty well what's happening.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/caroline-molloy/eight-reasons-you-really-can't-trust-tories-with-nhs

Some may say it's left wing rubbish, however, it's what many of my former colleagues, friends who are working as nurses, drs (hospital and GPs) and allied professionals are saying. They're not whinging on behalf of themselves - there is genuine fear for the services they provide and the patients who benefit from them.

The links within the article are worth reading if anyone is interested enough to have a look, as are the comments at the bottom of them.

As someone who previously worked in commissioning services I think that it's a wrong model for the NHS. You can re-work stuff to death to try to make improvements in working practice, but trying to get NHS staff to compete with the likes of Tesco or Virgin is just bonkers. On paper their submissions look so good, but when it's all about profit over customer experience (which it has to be, that's what their motivation is), the emphasis for service delivery changes and patients suffer. Some great work coming out of the NHS re: joined up working with social care but it's not a supermarket or airline or pension provider and trying to make it run like one just doesn't work if you want the NHS to continue as an equitable care provider. My observations were that the staff on the ground worked hard to support improvements to patient care where they could see a benefit but were over constant re-organisation for the sake of change.One of my mates works as a senior nurse manager in a large hospital - she is really good at what she does but at the same time, every shift is exhausting - trying to find beds, agency staff, decide whether to close wards down. Recruiting staff has become a nightmare - In SE UK, nurses don't earn enough to live locally and she gets very few (sometimes no) applicants for roles. Another senior nursing mate has ditched it in to go 'Agency' She's always on holiday or so it seems - but good for her. As an IT professional I decide to work as a contractor because I earn more money that way - why shouldn't nurses and doctors so so too? But we need to reward dedicated staff for staying with the NHS by providing decent working conditions including a living wage and stop mucking about with trying to get blood out of a stone.

I would certainly disagree with your statement as my mother is a staff nurse within a A&E dept and my brother a Dr in a hospital, both saying that funding/manpower has been cut within the last five years of this Conservative government, and morale within the NHS at a low point. A further kick in the teeth is NHS workers being given a 1% pay rise, according to Jeremy Hunt any bigger pay rises and jobs will have to be cut, and MPs today will receive a 10% pay rise, work that one out?? All in this together!!!

A further kick in the teeth is NHS workers being given a 1% pay rise, according to Jeremy Hunt any bigger pay rises and jobs will have to be cut, and MPs today will receive a 10% pay rise, work that one out?? All in this together!!!

We have 650 MPs, we employ 377,191 qualified nursing staff, do the maths. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

BTW there were 18,432 more NHS nurses in 2014 compared to ten years earlier. The number has increased by an annual average of 0.5 per cent over that period.

I agree with the person who said that the NHS was never designed to look after the whole of Europe.

...and the privatization of community and cancer care services too...all made up! Even thought the nurses who work there are personal friends...all made up....

Exactly the same thing happening here in Oz. NSW anyway

Of course there are more nurses and Drs than there was a decade ago. An increase of 5.1% and 27% respectively. However, in that time there has been a 64% increase in the number of operations carried out, from 6.712m to 11.030m.

So they must be doing something right then.

That needs addressing, too many people taking the p!ss.

Archived