You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

KIRK AND CO

Due to negative posts

Dream blown out of water as OH has read NP.I wish I had not found this forum it has done so much harm. In the early days the threads gave positive & negative but in very contructive way but now those people who intentionaly spread or a single small minded bully who i expect got his visa refused is out to ruine it for most of us. It might of turned out wrong but we would of been happy trying. now i will never know.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hey there

Its a shame if you let the negative posters get you down! Is there anything particular that we can all help with?? What negatives are putting you off????

Every forum needs the "fors and againsts" of everything. Yeah there are posters that like to instigate a riot but you can normally wheedle them out and see the wood for the trees (if you know what I mean!)

Guest michele'n'michael

Hey, you have to be informed before you come to Oz, forewarned is forearmed as they say!1

BUT there,s a true saying also which I believe most of all!!

Better to have tried & failed than never to have tried at all

Its gotta be lifes philosophy!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I know if its not for me in the end I'm not superglued so i can go back. But at least I know i'll have satisfied my curiosity instead of wondering "what if?"

Guest Megss

I'm sorry guys, but if that really is the case then surely all the negative posts have done is save you a lot of money and heartache??

I'v been avidly reading them, and I am still just as desperate to go... i don't see how just a hand full of peoples opinions could change your OH's mind completely???????

Go and read some of the positive posts instead and give yourself a boost?? Have you been to Oz before?? I haven't so i'm reserving judgment until i get there, i'm hoping that after all those negative posts i'll be pleasently suprised!

When i read the negative posts, i decide wether or not i take them serioulsy by comparing myself to what i know about the person writing all the neagative stuff, and i'm pleased to say so far i think i'm nothing like them. So thier opinions merely make me laugh and pity them. They'll never be happy.

Chin up!

Guest Angelcake

Ah such a shame.

Listen everyone is different, everyone experiences their move to Aus in a different way. Others experiences may not necessarily be yours as we all enjoy different things and bring different life skills with us.

I am a really positive person but admit that the negative posts have been getting to me, so I try not to read them.

I AM a realist though, I know Aus has crime, graffiti, bad weather, high interest rates, low salaries etc etc BUT Im still going to give it a go because I want to see for myself.

My brother has lived in Aus for 17 yrs and LOVES it, he has been promoted through the ranks in the army far quicker than he would have here. He loves the outdoor life and scuba dives, paraglides, goes fishing, owns a jet ski etc and has far more opportunity to develop these types of hobbies . He has a fantastic life, is just building a very nice 5 bed house in a posh area in Brisbane and has 2 grown up children who have no intention of leaving Aus either. He arrived here in the UK yesterday as he is attending a course and said to me it scares him sometimes to think how different his life would have been had he NOT gone to Aus.

He did however talk about the settling in process, he had the "what have I done" moments, the homesickness, the feeling of everything being alien, from the food in the supermarket to not knowing anyone on tv, or where to find a decent garage etc. All that is NORMAL and nearly everyone goes through it, some push through it and some don't.

So sorry your OH has been put off, some people are more cautious than others and worry alot more about things.

Hope you find happiness whatever your decision

Angelcake

Guest tony and sheena

Oh dear, sorry to hear that, but emigrating is a life changing decision. If OH's mind was changed by a few neg posts by people unknown to you, then in the long run for you guys, finding this forum was probably a blessing in disguise.

Best wishes

Sheena

Guest mandisfam

Hi, Thats such a shame that a few negative posts would change your oh's mind. These are just one or a few peoples opinions are you sure your oh is not using these posts to hide behind his own real fears. You know want men are like, not very good at expressing themselves and worries.

I had similar conversations with my oh, he reads these negative posts and I think for a while he really thought oz would be perfect place to live, no crime, best schooling in the world etc etc you know Im saying........ but after a while he began to understand the saying "shame sh** but a shiner bucket" which I think sums oz up completely.

OH still wants to go as he wants an adventure in life, that he has never experience before, and why not.......lets go now....thats what I say.....

Mandisfam

Hey guys,

I agree with everyone else, you can't let other people make up your minds for you, as your mum or dad used to say when we were kids 'if so and so told you to go and jump off a bridge would you do it'.......do you get my drift??

Guest Angelcake

Just had another thought...

There may not be as many positives, cos those happy with their lives in Aus are out having a great time living their lives and dont feel the need to still come on these forums and moan.

Also, there are some, (not many) on here who are just unhappy with their lives and are negative people, if they can find something to moan about they will!!!

Angelcake

Ok I`ll apologise in advance if this is an unpopular view but I am getting sick of everyone complaining about the negative posts - it is a an open forum. I think posts aren`t necessarily negative - they are are what other people are experiencing and every bit as valid for them as anyone else.Instead of people always having a go about negative posts why not look at them objectively and see if you too could manage in that situation and what you would do differently. If people are put off so easily then do they really want to go?? It is a big , massive thing and not to be done lightly perhaps people already have that seed of doubt in them. We could all put on happy clappy posts but that isn`t reality and it does no one any good to think that Oz is the land of milk & honey - it`s not, it`s bloody hard work, you are giving up your entire way of life leaving all your friends and family and starting with a blank sheet. For some it`s worth it and make it work, others find find it`s worth it in a different way, in that they appreciate what they had in the UK, whether it`s M&S knickers or having family support. You as an individual have the power to take the positives out of every negative, even if the original poster can`t see it - trust me if you look hard enough you will always find one. By the way when Im talking about negative posts I mean ones where people are struggling financially, emotionally etc not the ones about Oz not having Tesco`s or people not wearing shoes in the shops - those are facts of life and not even worth registering on the scale of things!

The people who reach the top of the tree, are only those who haven`t got the qualifications to detain them at the bottom.

Peter Ustinov

Guest Sexy Welsh Aussie Bird

Hey Mc Moo completely agree !!

Sian xxx

Guest mama koala

It's so sad that your dream has ended because of this, I agree that there would be a lot more positive posts, but many people are just to busy and happy getting on with their lives to post anymore.

It does seem that the people who post negative comments have lots of time on their hands, I do not see any value in negative posts that are from an emotional feeling point, you may never feel that way.

It may be your Husband may not be ready yet, like many people we wanted to emigrate years ago, but got put off. This time we are 100% ready and know its the right thing for all of us now.

Hopefully that time will come for your Husband, something will click and he will feel the same.

Nikki x:yes:

Guest mandisfam
Just had another thought...

There may not be as many positives, cos those happy with their lives in Aus are out having a great time living their lives and dont feel the need to still come on these forums and moan.

Also, there are some, (not many) on here who are just unhappy with their lives and are negative people, if they can find something to moan about they will!!!

Angelcake

I think Angelcake has a good point here. Also those who post on here to sound off, have a moan whatever you wish to call it do so I suspect because they have no-one else to go have a moan too. It does take time to find friends wherever you move to a new place be it UK or overseas, especially friends who you can have a good old moan to.

I regard myself as a very positive person, a lets get on with it type of person, but I still like a good old moan about things to my best mate. Doing so stops you keeping things inside and therefore stops those little things festering and turning into something big. I do feel that is probably what the original poster of this thread really meant. My apologies if I have got this wrong original poster. :smile:

And finally dare I say this, what really is grating me with these negative post are posts from people who are already in oz, assuming all of us who haven't arrived think that Australia is all "milk and honey" god I hate expression. I do think that 98% of people on here who have started the process are fully aware that oz does have its problems and its not going to be a bed of roses when we get there. Okay thats my moan over......:twitcy:

Spreading lots of happy vibes to everyone.....

Mandisfam

Guest mandisfam
I think Angelcake has a good point here. Also those who post on here to sound off, have a moan whatever you wish to call it do so I suspect because they have no-one else to go have a moan too. It does take time to find friends wherever you move to a new place be it UK or overseas, especially friends who you can have a good old moan to.

I regard myself as a very positive person, a lets get on with it type of person, but I still like a good old moan about things to my best mate. Doing so stops you keeping things inside and therefore stops those little things festering and turning into something big. I do feel that is probably what the original poster of this thread really meant. My apologies if I have got this wrong original poster. :smile:

And finally dare I say this, what really is grating me with these negative post are posts from people who are already in oz, assuming all of us who haven't arrived think that Australia is all "milk and honey" god I hate expression. I do think that 98% of people on here who have started the process are fully aware that oz does have its problems and its not going to be a bed of roses when we get there. Okay thats my moan over......:twitcy:

Spreading lots of happy vibes to everyone.....

Mandisfam

OMG, I am so sorry everyone, I thought I was posting on a different thread......must be the new heat in the UK, its getting to me.......The original poster I was referring to was from this thread......http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/35144-my-6-week-update.html

So sorry again if I have offended or confused anyone........

Mandisfam

Guest jogrant3232
I'm sorry guys, but if that really is the case then surely all the negative posts have done is save you a lot of money and heartache??

I'v been avidly reading them, and I am still just as desperate to go... i don't see how just a hand full of peoples opinions could change your OH's mind completely???????

Go and read some of the positive posts instead and give yourself a boost?? Have you been to Oz before?? I haven't so i'm reserving judgment until i get there, i'm hoping that after all those negative posts i'll be pleasently suprised!

When i read the negative posts, i decide wether or not i take them serioulsy by comparing myself to what i know about the person writing all the neagative stuff, and i'm pleased to say so far i think i'm nothing like them. So thier opinions merely make me laugh and pity them. They'll never be happy.

Chin up!

Yeah same goes here, some of the negative make me laugh but then again I dont agree with some of the positive but I still cant wait to get there

Guest earlswood
Hi, Thats such a shame that a few negative posts would change your oh's mind. These are just one or a few peoples opinions are you sure your oh is not using these posts to hide behind his own real fears. You know want men are like, not very good at expressing themselves and worries.

I had similar conversations with my oh, he reads these negative posts and I think for a while he really thought oz would be perfect place to live, no crime, best schooling in the world etc etc you know Im saying........ but after a while he began to understand the saying "shame sh** but a shiner bucket" which I think sums oz up completely.

OH still wants to go as he wants an adventure in life, that he has never experience before, and why not.......lets go now....thats what I say.....

Mandisfam

Great post and spot on..I can see you will settle no problem in Oz with that attitude...If a few negatives can put someone off they have probably done that family a BIG favour.

It is... "same ****" different spot on the big ball.

Guest earlswood
Ok I`ll apologise in advance if this is an unpopular view but I am getting sick of everyone complaining about the negative posts - it is a an open forum. I think posts aren`t necessarily negative - they are are what other people are experiencing and every bit as valid for them as anyone else.Instead of people always having a go about negative posts why not look at them objectively and see if you too could manage in that situation and what you would do differently. If people are put off so easily then do they really want to go?? It is a big , massive thing and not to be done lightly perhaps people already have that seed of doubt in them. We could all put on happy clappy posts but that isn`t reality and it does no one any good to think that Oz is the land of milk & honey - it`s not, it`s bloody hard work, you are giving up your entire way of life leaving all your friends and family and starting with a blank sheet. For some it`s worth it and make it work, others find find it`s worth it in a different way, in that they appreciate what they had in the UK, whether it`s M&S knickers or having family support. You as an individual have the power to take the positives out of every negative, even if the original poster can`t see it - trust me if you look hard enough you will always find one. By the way when Im talking about negative posts I mean ones where people are struggling financially, emotionally etc not the ones about Oz not having Tesco`s or people not wearing shoes in the shops - those are facts of life and not even worth registering on the scale of things!

Spot on, great post.......but I did get a verruca going into the local bottle store barefoot a couple of months back:unsure:

Spot on, great post.......but I did get a verruca going into the local bottle store barefoot a couple of months back:unsure:

Bottle shop thought you were the supreme athlete E:skeptical:

Malx

aka Billy N M

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Guest gemmahey

Earlwood............... stop trying to turn this thread into your own negitive thread again enough is enough:wacko:

Keep seeing u pop up here and there with ur nit picking! lol

Guest mandisfam

Don't go in the bottle shop with nothing on your feet then.........:yes:

Guest kdal

Sorry your Oh has had a change of heart, maybe his heart and soul was not into the move anyway and is using the negatives as an excuse! Or maybe he takes things literally, the thing is we are all different, we all have different careers our paths take different routes, whats bad for one person could work out to be great for someone else. Lady luck may be there for you and your family ! But unless you try you will never know !

To be perfectly honest like your husband I am more than a little concerned with all the negatives and I am beginning to think I am moving to Australia to make my life a whole lot worse LOL But sod it, i'm going to do it anyway ! :wacko:

Good luck

Guest earlswood
Bottle shop thought you were the supreme athlete E:skeptical:

Malx

aka Billy N M

I was buying booze for my elderly next door neighbour.:cute:

I have read a number of negative posts and do feel that are people who are living there but do not enjoy it, if so come back home.

I am not going yet but I am very exited and one of the reasons for the move is that we will be able to do things we cant here like get on the property ladder.

Every nation has negatives and positives I am not one to think it will be a bed of roses I am not going for 14-18 months but scares me I am going to have to start from scratch in terms of the friends, getting to know the roads sounds silly but I wont be able to take shortcuts or remember things which happened once when I went past a particular place.

But we all live and learn and in time the urge to go back to England and all things familiar will die down and will truly call Aus home.

Also I think anyone who has let some posts change their mind they were never truly committed to the idea.

Guest tony and sheena
I was buying booze for my elderly next door neighbour.:cute:

Yeah sure, just after you'd mowed their lawn but before you wheeled their dinner round to them???:yes:

Sheena

Guest Ms_Fi

I'm so sorry to hear that your hubby has changed his mind, especially based on comments from total strangers.

Without wanting to offend it doesn't appear that he was as sold on the idea of moving as you are, especially not as he was so easily swayed.

Australia is a fantastic country, full of fantastic people but it's not and won't ever be a hotter version of England. It has it's own problems and it's own failings and it would be irresponsible of anyone to portray it as perfect.