Year 9/10 pupil living 12 months in UK

jp0wer

Hi All

I have been offered a 12 month stint working back in the UK and I am thinking of taking it up but my 14yr old daughter is in Year 9 at school here in Sydney. I have a number of questions which hopefully someone can shed some light.

Does anyone know what the impact a move to the UK will be on her HSC preparation? I would send her to school in the UK and from memory as she turns 15 this Oct so she would start 4th year of comprehensive school, which is year 10, I believe. Does the UK follow the same program of work as here especially for Maths and English so that she would not miss out on too much?

Also what if the contract is extended for a further 12 months (that has not been discussed) how would that affect her HSC prep? Would she be able to take her GCSEs instead and would these count towards a University place here in Aus?

TIA

John

Shouldn't think it'd do much damage for her HSC prep - might even advantage her but the timing might be a bit tricky for GCSEs - whether she would be able to start at the beginning of the process, even if she doesn't finish it.

If you were to stay longer then she would really need to get A Levels to be sure not to disadvantage herself with respect to Uni or you would need to send her back to do yrs 11 & 12. I wouldn't want to be relying on GCSE conversions for Uni - it's only recently that anyone seems to have given any credit for them at all, they never used to!

Foreign country, totally different system!

Edited by Quoll

Are there any rules about residency in Australia to qualify for HECS (like 3 year prior rule in UK). Worth checking so you don't get stuck in limbo land - I guess she could always do another year, but that may not be popular. If she's anything like my 12 year old when we moved over you could well be accused of 'destroying her life' but that's teens for you.....

Shouldn't think it'd do much damage for her HSC prep - might even advantage her but the timing might be a bit tricky for GCSEs - whether she would be able to start at the beginning of the process, even if she doesn't finish it.

If you were to stay longer then she would really need to get A Levels to be sure not to disadvantage herself with respect to Uni or you would need to send her back to do yrs 11 & 12. I wouldn't want to be relying on GCSE conversions for Uni - it's only recently that anyone seems to have given any credit for them at all, they never used to!

Foreign country, totally different system!

Thanks Quoll I did think along the same lines myself. i.e she does 12mths in UK and then when she gets back her she still has 2 years to "catch up".

We did something similar with my son and lived in Japan throughout his Year 10. First question - do the UK and Oz cover the same program of work - nope, as Quoll said, different countries different curriculum. Judging by the latest OECD study, 15 year olds are further ahead in maths, science and English in Australia but expect them to be covering different things. We took the maths book my son would be using in Oz to Japan and got a private tutor to go over the work at his international school but to also cover what his friends were doing in Oz. When he came back he slotted into Year 11 maths no problem. His final years subject choices went well with what he was doing in Japan so there was no disadvantage at all. Year 10 is really the last mucking about year before the serious stuff starts in Year 11 and 12 - both years count towards the HSC. Grades in Year 10 guide subject choice and level for Year 11 but the school report from the Uk would hep with that.

GCSE's until recently counted for nothing, the only useful one was English as it could be used to show English competency. In the last few years the Universities have started offering Foundation courses for students who didn't make the ATAR, giving them a chance to do a year's course as pre entry to Uni - and pay fees, and get more bums on seats! Uni's are now offering GCSE's as entry to the Foundation courses so your daughter could miss the HSC altogether and just apply for a Foundation course. However be aware there is a huge jump between GCSE level and F. Course level - and on to Uni degree. Would love to know the stats for the amount of students who actually survived the F. Course. The three students I know who did it then flunked first year Uni, so HSC route would be a better option - or staying in the Uk for A levels but then you get into difficulties of being out the country and having to pay larger fees.

Hi

We are in the process of looking at moving back home with our 2 daughters aged 15 and 13 and have already asked lots of schools in our area about settling them in there. ALL of the schools have agreed to hold both of the girls back....why well - child #1 was held back here in grade 2 and due to her age (16 in Nov) she will be entering straight into exams in England so they will hold her back so that she has a full year to ease into it.....child #2 will actually jump a year due to her birthday - which means that technically both girls would be in the same year - so they will also hold her back to avoid this......I hope this makes sense.

I never thought that uk schools would be so flexible but they were and we are very happy ..... just need to select the school now lol

good luck