Update on cost of living in Sydney please?

Lillifen

Hi,

We are looking at moving to Sydney following a job offer. I have been requested to suggest a salary range. It is for a professional position. We are keen on the Coogee or Surry hills areas. Can anyone give an idea of cost of living there so that we know what sort of salary to try to negotiate? We have no children, and would be looking for minimum of two bedrooms. Thanks very much!

an average professional salary is around $70,000 - $110,000 aud in Syd. Life is expensive rent on 2 bed unit arond $600 / week city & surrounds

Hi,

We are looking at moving to Sydney following a job offer. I have been requested to suggest a salary range. It is for a professional position. We are keen on the Coogee or Surry hills areas. Can anyone give an idea of cost of living there so that we know what sort of salary to try to negotiate? We have no children, and would be looking for minimum of two bedrooms. Thanks very much!

Salary does not tend to hinge on cost of living or what suburb you fancy living in either, I could not demand a salary increase because I wanted to move to a more expensive suburb and likewise your starting salary will not depend on your suburb either. You need to research the going rate for your specific occupation. I think you might need to say what your actual occupation is, rather than what suburb you see yourself living in, for some useful information on typical salaries. "Professional" could mean absolutely anything..

I rent out a decent sized two-bed apartment opposite Coogee beach at a current rental of $650 a week. A bit further back from the beach you'll pay a little less.

Non-housing costs are probably the same as anywhere else in metro-Australia. There are plenty of shops and other service suppliers so prices are as competitive as anywhere else.

Salaries would depend on what type of professional you are. I'd expect a doctor to be earning more than a teacher, for example. If you say what your profession is, people might be able to give you a better idea of actual salaries. There's no generic 'professional' salary.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't put the job title down as I already have a rough guideline for salary for this job, but as it varies rather a lot, I just was not sure where to pitch it. I was told many people who work there live in Coogee or Surry Hills, so figured this might be a good place to start for finding out cost of living. I think I didn't phrase it very well, sorry!

Thanks for the replies! I didn't put the job title down as I already have a rough guideline for salary for this job, but as it varies rather a lot, I just was not sure where to pitch it. I was told many people who work there live in Coogee or Surry Hills, so figured this might be a good place to start for finding out cost of living. I think I didn't phrase it very well, sorry!

So it was nothing to do with salary, ok far enough.

In that case, the only real thing you need to worry about is accommodation costs, rentals or sales as that is the thing that varies most from suburb to suburb. You can eaily do this through www.domain.com.au I spent many hours on here at one point!