Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Can I go on holiday to Bali

Recommended Posts

Hi Team


I did my Citizenship Test in March and passed just waiting on a ceremony to complete the process and apply for my PPort. Can i leave the country for a weeks holiday in Bali and come back in with no issue or has my PR been cancelled my little boy is in the same boat as me and my partner is still a PR as she hasn't been here long enough to apply for her citizenship so she will be ok.


I called immigration today and they said it should be ok to leave but i don't have a lot of confidence in the lady i dealt with as he English wasn't great and i just wanted to double check prior to booking and not being able to get back in.


Thanks in advance

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You were wise to check on what DIBP told you but in this case, their advice was correct. Applying for citizenship has no effect on your permanent visa. Your visa is cancelled when you are granted citizenship and have attended a citizenship ceremony but not before then.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you can. I travelled overseas after passing the citizenship test but before attending a ceremony (passed in April, travelled in October, ceremony in January). It actually takes about a week for them to cease your visa after the citizenship ceremony.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

PR does not get cancelled on application for citizenship. A PR visa will cease upon grant of citizenship (i.e. when you attend the ceremony and make the pledge).

If the travel facility on your PR visa has not expired (and is not due to expire before you would return from Bali), then there is no issue with you travelling to Bali for a holiday.. however, you should advise DIBP of any travel so that they are aware that you will be out of the country during that time.

If you are unsure whether the travel facility on your PR visa has expired, you should check VEVO.

Australian Lawyer

Barrister-at-Law (Ireland)

Registered Migration Agent (MARN 1382825)


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now