457 Visa: How long to take out medical insurance for UNTILL in oz and applying for Medicare?

jk11

Hi there,

I'm a British Citizen from the UK moving to Oz to work as a doctor in August. I'm applying via the 457 visa and have all my sponsorship and nomination approved just need to complete the personal visa.

It is a requirement of the 457 visa to have adequate health insurance upon application. Australia has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK in which I would be eligible to apply for a medicare number. This can only be done once in Oz.

The Australian immigration website states: "If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501."

My question is:

Would health insurance for 1 month qualify as adequate insurance for my initial period in Oz prior to enrolling with Medicare?

If not then what is a reasonable period of time?

Is there any level of cover that must be met?

Any recommendations or advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks JK

You simply need to ensure you have coverage from the moment you clear customs to the moment you apply for Medicare. One month would be more than enough time to get that taken care of.

If you look at any of the major suppliers (Bupa, MediBank, etc.) they will have various Overseas Visitor coverages and will specify which one(s) meet the requirements of a 457 visa.

We didn't sign up for a fixed period. Just signed up and told them our expected arrival date in Australia. They took our bank details, sent us the confirmation letter we needed for the visa and activated the healthcare on the date we specified (2 days before our moving date). Once in Australia, we signed up for Medicare for the duration of our 457 visa (3 1/2 years) and cancelled our health insurance policy.

I used the go-walkabout emigration insurance in a similar situation however please consider that reciprocal Medicare will only cover urgent/emergency care (as per Aus citizens in the UK) not full cover so if you have any chronic health needs these would not necessarily be covered. If there is any chance you might stay tick the box to get your medical assessments to PR standards rather than just 457. No extra cost to you and if you decide to go for PR within 12 months they are still valid and you don't need to repeat them.

I used the go-walkabout emigration insurance in a similar situation however please consider that reciprocal Medicare will only cover urgent/emergency care (as per Aus citizens in the UK) not full cover so if you have any chronic health needs these would not necessarily be covered. If there is any chance you might stay tick the box to get your medical assessments to PR standards rather than just 457. No extra cost to you and if you decide to go for PR within 12 months they are still valid and you don't need to repeat them.

So, and I just asked this in my own thread, when you come to make a PR application - in my case a ENS 186, do you just sign up for health insurance again, as this is a requirement from DIAC for the application. I cancelled my insurance as I had reciprocal Medicare, but now need to show health insurance for the 186 application. Can I get into any trouble for having let this happen?

If there is any chance you might stay tick the box to get your medical assessments to PR standards rather than just 457. No extra cost to you and if you decide to go for PR within 12 months they are still valid and you don't need to repeat them.

I'm in a similar boat, on a 457 but now going for PR. I checked with my MA and he said I would expect to pay $45 for the blood test that wasn't included in my previous medical. Not a big deal.

Edited by mungbean

I'm in a similar boat, on a 457 but now going for PR. I checked with my MA and he said I would expect to pay $45 for the blood test that wasn't included in my previous medical. Not a big deal.

The original poster is a doctor so will have had the blood tests anyway as these are required for healthcare workers on 457s.

So, and I just asked this in my own thread, when you come to make a PR application - in my case a ENS 186, do you just sign up for health insurance again, as this is a requirement from DIAC for the application. I cancelled my insurance as I had reciprocal Medicare, but now need to show health insurance for the 186 application. Can I get into any trouble for having let this happen?

Sorry, no idea I applied for 190 and don't recall being asked that question on the form, it didn't cause any problems for me.