British Style Chippy

jumpingjellybean

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband is Aussie. He thought I was mad for putting vinegar on chips as did his family & friends! They'd never heard of it! We are talking Tasmania though! Hubbie does now put vinegar on chips here in the UK though! Wonder if he'll revert back to type once we're back in Aus??

How strange! I grew up in Perth and we always had vinegar on our chips, but then maybe that's because we used to have more Pommie immigrants than other parts of the country :wink: There were also big jars of pickled onions on the counter and I'd always nag my Mum and Dad to have one, with only limited success.

Having lived in Britain for 11 years, I still can't get used to cod and haddock though. I'm much more partial to a nice thick slice of deep fried Snapper.

• 2 months later...
I've never seen vinegar in any in Melbourne or Cairns.

I've asked for it a few times with fish and chips in restaurants in Canberra and received blank stares or looks as if I'd asked for fried koala. On the occasions that it has been provided it's arrived as white vinegar in a small broad bowl like soy sauce....

This place is the real deal next time you're in Warners Bay (Lake Macquarie):

Currently up for sale, but still trading... run by a Scottish family. As British a chippy as you'll find anywhere.

Edited by VERYSTORMY
Forum rules

This place is the real deal next time you're in Warners Bay (Lake Macquarie):

Currently up for sale, but still trading... run by a Scottish family. As British a chippy as you'll find anywhere.

Does "British Style" mean chips cooked in week old oil and fish with thicker batter than actual fish?!

No, my cholesterol is below average and anyway I eat what tastes good. You don't eat anything that could be considered bad for your cholesterol, like a full English breakfast for instance ? :)

A full AUSTRALIAN you mean! No once a week, if that, poached eggs, grilled bacon, reduced salt beans!

VIC

Well the chip shop (called Beach Box) in Mount Martha has vinegar on the counter last time I was in. Service not the best and mad in summer (like 1 hour wait)...but a good choice of fish, dims etc.

Have heard the one further up in Mornington is better, (on Wilsons Road), yet to try....

TBA on vinegar there..

VIC

Well the chip shop (called Beach Box) in Mount Martha has vinegar on the counter last time I was in. Service not the best and mad in summer (like 1 hour wait)...but a good choice of fish, dims etc.

Have heard the one further up in Mornington is better, (on Wilsons Road), yet to try....

TBA on vinegar there..

I don't care how good the fish and chips are, there's no way I'd wait an hour for them.

Queueing is all part of the experience in some places. Here in Surry Hills, people won't go to trendy places like Messina or Bourke St Bakery unless the queue is suitably long.

I used to work in an office next door to the Bourke St Bakery in Erskine Street and just on the other side of the street is a really good Thai vegan restaurant.

I used to work in an office next door to the Bourke St Bakery in Erskine Street and just on the other side of the street is a really good Thai vegan restaurant.

I think that might be another branch of Bourke St Bakery? I know there are more than one but this one is cnr of Bourke and Devonshire St. I KNOW there will be a queue there now, ditto various other places.

I think that might be another branch of Bourke St Bakery? I know there are more than one but this one is cnr of Bourke and Devonshire St. I KNOW there will be a queue there now, ditto various other places.

There was also one near Marrickville. You must live near the original :cute: ' There used to be one near Broadway but it seems to be part of some sort of university campus now.

There was also one near Marrickville. You must live near the original :cute: ' There used to be one near Broadway but it seems to be part of some sort of university campus now.

UTS on one side and expanding, and on the other side a huge new residential development on site of old KB Brewery. Looks flash with its horizontal gardens and I think huge solar panel.

I left Sydney as that building was just being finished. The shops were trading on the ground floor but the apartments were still vacant.

The Bourke Street Bakery close to Broadway was on the left hand side going towards Broadway from the city. Seemed a strange place to be changed into a uni campus. Can't remember the name of the uni but it wasn't anything to do with Sydney uni or uni of NSW.

I left Sydney as that building was just being finished. The shops were trading on the ground floor but the apartments were still vacant.

The Bourke Street Bakery close to Broadway was on the left hand side going towards Broadway from the city. Seemed a strange place to be changed into a uni campus. Can't remember the name of the uni but it wasn't anything to do with Sydney uni or uni of NSW.

UTS! Contender for ugliest building in Sydney on the right going West on Broadway. The new building on the opposite side is residential. I don't know if there are any student flats there. I do see student accommodation blocks up around the city

UTS! Contender for ugliest building in Sydney on the right going West on Broadway. The new building on the opposite side is residential. I don't know if there are any student flats there. I do see student accommodation blocks up around the city

Uni of Technology! There is a new building round the back which has won awards. Top architect designed it.