British Style Chippy

jumpingjellybean

British Style Chippy:

I have not yet been, but I have just heard of a Traditional Chip Shop (British Style Chippy) in Bondi Junction NSW.

The chips are sold with salt AND vinegar..........excitement much! :jiggy:

I have really missed having vinegar with my chips. Fish & chip shops here rarely give that option. I have asked in the past and people look at me like I have three heads! Only ever found one place in Victoria that had vinegar; but they only had white vinegar and not malt.

And it took me years to wean myself off missing it.

Has anyone here been:

http://www.thechipshop.com.au/

And is it worth me tracking half way across Sydney for?!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My OH and I tried it.

The fish - we tried both the Cod and Haddock - was expensive ($16 and $17 per piece, from memory) and completely and utterly tasteless, which I put down to the fact it had been frozen for months.

We have two other fish and chip shops near us. One is run by a french family and the other by a New Zealand couple. Both have fish and chips vastly superior in taste and quality and at less than half the price.

However, the Bondi Junction branch of the 'Traditional Fish and Chips' must be pretty successful because they've opened another larger branch at the Spot in Randwick.

I can only say that people round here have more money than taste....:wink:

I have really missed having vinegar with my chips. Fish & chip shops here rarely give that option. I have asked in the past and people look at me like I have three heads! Only ever found one place in Victoria that had vinegar; but they only had white vinegar and not malt.

You do realise most UK fish and chip shops serve a vinegar-flavoured brown liquid that is an oil by-product. It is not malt vinegar.

I was disappointed with the the English chippy in North Lakes. The service as friendly, chip portions were huge but soggy and the pasty had carrot in it. I was so excited at seeing a scotch egg after not having one for 7 years but it was cold. I just make my own pasties and scotch eggs now and go to my local chippy

Has the one at The Spot opened now? I used to stop at The Spot for Thai on the way home from the beach and saw the signs up near the cinema. It's a real 'hot' Spot - impossible to park!

I like my fish and chips too, but there are plenty of wonderful places around Sydney. I can personally recommend 'Surry Gills' (sic) in Devonshire Street, just up from Central, where they do grilled fish of the day with chips (in their own little fryer) and salad for about $16/17. I also had a very nice Tuesday night $10 special at the City Tatts Club in Pitt St. And finally, at Balmoral, 'Bottom of the Harbour' which is VERY popular at weekends, but I had a very good breaded fish and chip. (I don't actually like battered fish any more)

Has the one at The Spot opened now? I used to stop at The Spot for Thai on the way home from the beach and saw the signs up near the cinema. It's a real 'hot' Spot - impossible to park!

Yes. The one at the Spot is open now. It has a much larger seating area than the version at Bondi Junction.

I remember when the Spot's cinema had one screen and the area was known for second-hand furniture shops. Now it's just another Eat Street with wall to wall food outlets.

Guest Mikimoto
In YOUR experience.........NOT in mine.

Went out last week for F&C and decided to ask for vinegar. Waitress said she had never heard of putting vinegar on chips. Cook was perplexed too.

Was that on Mars?

Guest Mikimoto
Can't imagine why anyone would want those horrible soggy things they call chips in the UK. Or the fake fish, either. Maybe hooked on the rancid fat? Australian F and C are far, far better.

Yep. Local chippy has fresh not frozen chips, available with white or malt vinegar, salt or chicken salt, ketchup, soy sauce, sweet chilli, hot chilli, home made chilli 'da bomb' sauce, American mustard, white pepper, black pepper, gravy, etc and I probably missed many others. Makes amazing quiches and pies etc on the premises to top it off.