register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

rmumtaz

Need Help for 475 VISA extension

Hi,

I need your support on following querry.

I have 475 VISA to western Australia (Regional State sponsorship). My visa would be expiring on May 28th,2016. I have one one year left and I have spend only eight days in melbourne and after that I came back to my home country due to some demestic issues and I was not able to go back to avail this VISA anymore.

I would be thankful to you if anyone of you can suggest me a migration agent or suggest me if I can get any extension for my 475 VISA or not.

Its really important for me now as I can move to australia but problem is that I will not able to fulfill any of their condition unless & until I get extension.

Please reply to this post as I am desparate to get out of this situation whether I can get any extension or not.

Looking forward to anyone's reply.

Rehman Mumtaz.

I might be wrong, but I thought you could only get a one year extension, the 489 visa. In which case, unless you move in the next week you are not going to be able to accumulate the two years required to move onto the permanent visa anyway.

I am not 100% sure, so lets wait and see if somebody else like Ozmaniac can confirm.

I think Bungo is correct - you can apply for a 489 Extended Stay Pathway which, when it is granted, allow you to remain for 4 years after your original 475 was granted. So you'd need to arrive in Australia next week and immediately apply so you get a bridging visa, and then you could probably meet the requirements for an 887 visa.

Bungo and MaggieMay24 are correct. If you can get a 489 via the Extended Stay Pathway, it will only be valid for 4 years from the date your original 475 was granted so it would expire on 28 May 2017. IF you can get to Australia before 28 May 2015, you would be able to apply for a 489 on 28 May (when you have held your 475 for 2 years) and would be granted a Bridging visa that would allow you to stay and meet the conditions for an 887 application but only if you immediately take up residence in an eligible 'specified regional area'. If you can't get to Australia and take up residence in an eligible region before 28 May, you will have to start the whole process again as there is no way you will be able to meet the 887 conditions from your existing visa.

Edited by Ozmaniac

Bungo and MaggieMay24 are correct. If you can get a 489 via the Extended Stay Pathway, it will only be valid for 4 years from the date your original 475 was granted so it would expire on 28 May 2017. IF you can get to Australia before 28 May 2015, you would be able to apply for a 489 on 28 May (when you have held your 475 for 2 years) and would be granted a Bridging visa that would allow you to stay and meet the conditions for an 887 application but only if you immediately take up residence in an eligible 'specified regional area'. If you can't get to Australia and take up residence in an eligible region before 28 May, you will have to start the whole process again as there is no way you will be able to meet the 887 conditions from your existing visa.

Thanks to all for immediate response, One thing I need to confirm, Can I apply this extension for 475 to Extended Pathway 489 from my home country ? This is because that I want to gain more time till May 28th, 2017 so that If I reach Australian after two months then I have much time to apply through new process.

One thing more, did anybody talk to DIAC for this issue as I have read on DIAC website that you can get extension if you fulfill following two condidtions.

1:) You live for at least two years in specified regional Area

2:) You have worked for atleast one year in secified regionl area.

Your kind suggestion and reply to this querry would be benificial for me.

Regards,

Rehman Mumtaz

Thanks to all for immediate response, One thing I need to confirm, Can I apply this extension for 475 to Extended Pathway 489 from my home country ? This is because that I want to gain more time till May 28th, 2017 so that If I reach Australian after two months then I have much time to apply through new process.

One thing more, did anybody talk to DIAC for this issue as I have read on DIAC website that you can get extension if you fulfill following two condidtions.

Regards,

Rehman Mumtaz

There is no point applying for an extension, I cannot think of any reason why you would do that. You have to start again anyway and the current visa will last for another year, so you could move to Australia on the current visa now if you wanted, but then apply for the brand new visa before it expires. Don't waste your time on getting an extension as well.

Regards,

Rehman Mumtaz

I'm not sure if you can apply from your home country for a 489 via the Extended Stay pathway but in your case, it's irrelevant. If you apply for and are granted an extension, it will expire on 28 May 2017 and unless you arrive in Australia by May 28 2015, you won't be able to meet the 2 years residence in a specified regional area requirement that you need in order to be able to apply for an 887. You should also keep in mind that DIBP can also do the calculations and they will come to the same conclusion as we have so I'm not even sure if an application for an extension would be successful. Extensions to 475s and the other provisional visas are granted to give people the opportunity of getting a permanent visa if they meet certain conditions. If that opportunity doesn't exist because of the time frames involved, there is no point in their getting the extension.