Would you bloody believe it!

Guest choobs

We got the visa!

Wooooohooooooooooooooooooooo!

etc.

Not only that, but we couldn't have done it without you lot - your support, advice, and especially the tear-absorption qualities of your shoulders has been invaluable.

But we have one more question remaining :)

Being in a rush, as ever, and being Scottish and therefore averse to spending any more on rent than absolutely necessary, we're looking to take advantage of a good deal we've been offered on flights on the 31st October.

The passports are being picked up by courier to be taken to our agents, who will courier them to London, meaning they'll arrive tomorrow - Saturday.

This gives us six working days for them to be evidenced and returned. Our agent says to leave a fortnight.

Is six days enough or should we not book flights for the 31st? What's everyone elses experience been of evidencing timescales.

Even when we have the visas, I still find stuff to worry and moan about :)

Cheers

Choobs

:D

A massive congratulations to Choobs and Daisydeeds :D

Can't help with your questions but, hey, you've got it baby :!: :!:

A few bottles will be popping tonight I bet :lol:

All the best both

Al and Kaz.

Well Done Coobs and all!!!! :D:D:D

Its so worth it...I'm looking forward to your first impression when you become one of the few Poms InOz!!! :wink:

Well done Choobs and family!!! :D

Bet you thought it would never happen.

Good luck in Australia and I hope its everything you want it to be.

Kaye :)

Guest Pesky Varmit

Big congratulations........ you finally did it!! :D

Wishing you and your family the best of luck and hope Oz is all you want it to be. Enjoy :D

Guest scott&lisa

Hi Choobs and Daisydeeds,

CONGRATS!!!!! :D:D:D:D

It took about 5 days for our passports to go and come back with visas enclosed (all recorded delivery).

Best of luck for the adventure that awaits you.

Lisa and Scott :lol:

Hi choobs,

I've never been so glad to hear that someone has their visa (apart from when we got ours of course :) ) Good luck with everything & please keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.

Just for info...we posted our Passports to the London office last Friday (13th oct) & had them delivered back to us yesterday (19th Oct) so that's only really 4 working days isn't it (if you don't count the day we posted it!).

I'm not sure I would be brave enough to book the flights without the visa in my hand but hey that's just me....I don't live on the edge!!

Good luck with everything

Anita xx

Guest austibeach

Congratulations, :D:D:D , I'm really pleased for you both. As a Royal Mail employee, I would advise you do everything by Special Delivery, which is guaranteed by 1.00 p.m. next day, or you can even request a 9.00 a.m. delivery. Both these services will cost you a few quid........but what's money to us Scots.

At least it will alllow you to go ahead and book your flight for the 31st.....I mean you can't pass on a good deal...... :lol: .... we're not really tight but we love a bargain.... :lol:

Have a good Christmas and an even better Hogmanay in Oz..... 8)

Eric.

Guest daisydeeds

hiyah.

We couriered our passports to our agent who then couriered them to London today. The passports are sent back to us by special delivery so no worries there.

The news is still sinking in. We are so glad all the waiting is over.

Daisydeeds. a k a Mrs Choobs

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Daisydeeds and Choobs

BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have had more than your fair share of delays.

I sent my Mum's passport on the Monday by Special Delivery and it was returned on the Friday, by pre-paid Special Delievery. A friend of mine got her passport back in a day less than that last week.

I have to say that, like Savta, I'm cautious! I didn't book Mum's flight until her passport came back.

Where in Oz are you headed for?

Please keep in touch on the forum. Your posts are always so amusing. Really good for cheering us up on cold, short winter days, I suspect.

Best wishes

Gill

Congratulations! That's excellent news. Hope the flight goes smoothly and you settle in well. Like everyone else, I really hope you'll find time to give us your impressions once you're there.

Guest Missiemo

Hi Choobs

I told you there would be some good news soon, that is great, bet you are so excited.

Our passports went off and returned by special delivery within one week.

Take Care

Mo

Hi Choobs

I told you there would be some good news soon, that is great, bet you are so excited.

Our passports went off and returned by special delivery within one week.

Take Care

Mo

Thanks for all the kind words :)

I stayed true to my Scots heritage and plumped the money down on flights for the 31st. Too good an opportunity to miss - not only the bargain, but heading off for a new start on Samhain :) (Thanks to my witchy sister for pointing that one out!). I have faith in the cosmos that the passports will get back to us.

Of course, I'll continue to contribute to the forums - it's the least we can do after all the help, support, reassurance, and grammar corrections we've been given over the past seventeen months :)

As ever, we'll be updating http://oz.nelefa.org but it's worth mentioning that most of the interesting stuff will be on our main blog site - http://www.nelefa.org, where I've already created an Australia category.

So - armed with digital camera and an open mind, we'll be your correspondents on the East Coast :)

We're off to Hunter Valley, by the way - a bit further into the sticks than most of you are likely to venture - a real frontier area, by all accounts :)

Cheers

Choobs

Nice one Choobs. Hunter is lovely, I've been there twice though as my wife and I don't drink (well extremely rare anyway). We must be the only couple that went to the Hunter and came back with organic tea :oops: :lol:

Guest THE JONEZYS

BIG FAT CONGRATULATIONS FROM US DOWN HERE IN ESSEX :wink:

AND THE VERY BEST OF LUCK WITH EVERYTHING :!: :!:

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF LATE AND PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH.

LESLEY & PAULXX

Guest forshac

Nice one Choobs, at last you got the damn thing!

The passports tooka bout a week to be returned, so you did good with the flights...

NOW THE HARD WORK BEGINS! Getting the new life...

Nice one Choobs, at last you got the damn thing!

The passports tooka bout a week to be returned, so you did good with the flights...

NOW THE HARD WORK BEGINS! Getting the new life...

Well, here's the thing - we've started over before. A few years ago we had a house fire and lost everything: from the cutlery to the marks on the wall where we marked the children's heights on their birthday. We were lucky to get out without injuries - thank God for smoke alarms.

To add insult to injury, I was made redundant the next week.

While writing inventories for the insurance company, we learned exactly what it was that was important to us.

We're both open, forthright people and we make friends pretty easily. The main thing is, though, that everything important to us left the house with us on the night of the fire. To use an americanism, everything else is just gravy.

So, I'll have my wee cutie Daisydeeds, and my three lovely children. There's half the battle right there. The rest of it will come in time.

Cheers

Choobs

Dear Choobs & Daisydeeds,

Having followed many of your threads over the last 6 months or so just wanted to wish you ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD, you surely deserve it!

All the best to you and yours, enjoy your last week in the UK, one way or the other!!! Hope OZ brings you all you are looking for.

With Love from Me and Mine.X

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dear Choobs & Daisydeeds,

Having followed many of your threads over the last 6 months or so just wanted to wish you ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD, you surely deserve it!

All the best to you and yours, enjoy your last week in the UK, one way or the other!!! Hope OZ brings you all you are looking for.

With Love from Me and Mine.X

:lol:

Guest daisydeeds

Thank you all for your congratulatory posts!

Choobs and I are surprised at how the nausea and nerves kick in when its just a matter of days before we embark on our journey to Australia. We still feel like we are in a dreamlike phase! It feels a bit more real today though as we are wished well and good luck for the future from acquaintances and old neighbours in the street.

We are excited and happy that all this visa stress is over and our sponsors are now wondering what they are going to do as speaking via msn/skype just about every day is no longer going to be required.

We are talking our friends into getting their webcams and headsets organised for msn/skype conversations so I guess that ll soon become a regular thing. Ive even talked my sister who is not at all computer literate into getting broadband so she can keep in touch ;-)

We are going to be squeezing in visiting best friends and family between now and Tuesday morning between the organisation of taxis/packing and trying to keep the kids amused.

Yes, we are absolutely bricking ourselves that our passports complete with stickers come back in time!!!!

Daisydeeds

Archived