You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

CHill

Aus Citizens moving to Australia as Adults.Costs/Process/Applications/FireBrigade job

Afternoon,

I am an Australian Citizen with 2 children under 2 and a husband who is currently a fireman. I work as a makeup artist.

We obviously have no visa worries but I have LOTS of questions!

We are planning on moving to Sydney & initially renting.

• Is there a website/source anyone knows about that gives you a checklist/moving info?

So far Things on my list are-

• How to organise medicare card
  • How to get Tax file number
  • I have a bank account in Aus but how do I get my husband one?
  • What do we need to have to rent (bank accounts/proof of employment/one million dollars?!)
  • Is there a benefits system I can apply to? (I am due to give birth to my 2nd in November and we are planning on moving in February 2016 so I will probably be unable to work for a few months initially while the baby is so young)
  • As we understand it the NSW Fire Department do not recognise my husband LFB qualifications. Does anyone know of any industries that a fireman could be employed in??
  • We have savings to buffer us for a few months but if anyone has recently moved I would love to know your approx costs all up!!

Any advice or links to appropriate advice would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

Is your husband an Aus citizen too? If not he will require a visa.

Medicare - go to a Medicare office with all your documentation

TFN - apply through the ATO

Bank account - you don't get your husband one, he takes along his ID and gets his own

There are threads on here about what to take to prove you are going to be good tenants - references from landlord, bond and months rent up front, a job is handy.

Benefits - register with Centrelink

No idea about firemen but he would probably have to retrain even if he could get a job. Lots of volunteer fire brigades though who would welcome him with open arms (he would still have to retrain)

No idea about set up costs - that's one of those piece of string questions but if you reckon on a 6 month buffer for being out of a job that's $35k+/- then buying a car, paying a month's bond plus a month's rent in advance, insurances, school uniforms, sundry pantry items etc

Edited by Quoll
ipad mucks up formatting and won't allow changes

Just do your own list as we are all different, brainstorm and write everything down that you think you need to do. One half could be things you need to do regarding the UK and the other half things to do in Australia. You have already made a reasonable start at it. Comment in red:

Afternoon,

I am an Australian Citizen with 2 children under 2 and a husband who is currently a fireman. I work as a makeup artist.

We obviously have no visa worries but I have LOTS of questions!

We are planning on moving to Sydney & initially renting.

• Is there a website/source anyone knows about that gives you a checklist/moving info?

So far Things on my list are-

• How to organise medicare card - walk into a medicare office and ask to register, medicare offices are all over the place.
  • How to get Tax file number - go to ATO website and use the search function for "getting a TFN" or similar, fill in online application
  • I have a bank account in Aus but how do I get my husband one? - he will have to get his own, he needs to do an application
  • What do we need to have to rent (bank accounts/proof of employment/one million dollars?!) - if you don't have jobs, you will need to bring proof of income mainly, references if you have rented in UK, proof of identity.
  • Is there a benefits system I can apply to? (I am due to give birth to my 2nd in November and we are planning on moving in February 2016 so I will probably be unable to work for a few months initially while the baby is so young) - try Centrelink office, again they are on every high street
  • As we understand it the NSW Fire Department do not recognise my husband LFB qualifications. Does anyone know of any industries that a fireman could be employed in?? - I think this is up to your husband to decide what he wants to do! Other than that I shouldn't think former firemen are prohibited from working in any industry they want/ Does he not fancy trying to join the NSW service?
  • We have savings to buffer us for a few months but if anyone has recently moved I would love to know your approx costs all up!! we probably spent about £25k on visa, moving costs, initial accommodation, deposit on car and deposit for rental. We had jobs to go to so no living costs in that.

Any advice or links to appropriate advice would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by Bungo