North or South Sydney

Scotlass

From what you have said so far - I think you will REALLY LOVE Crows Nest.

It is well-known for its young professionals around 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s.

It has a community village feel and community type activities, like a yearly street festival, art shows and evening activities (classes in yoga, dance, drawing, meditation and pilates) – which is a great way to meet new people.

It has a wide variety of shops, cafes and restaurants. Boutique clothes & shoe shops, wine shops, bakeries and a few decent pubs. A good practical supermarket and some upmarket gourmet grocers, a couple of organic food and healthfood shops too. I particularly like the wide choice of different restaurant cuisines available…..anything from Vegan, Healthfood, American, Himalayan, Thai and Chinese to Italian, French, German, English and plain old Aussie.

The following two websites will give you more information:

agfg.com.au/guide/nsw/sydney/lower-north-shore/crows-nest/listings/restaurants-dining/

weekendnotes.com/sydney/

In fact, for such a small suburb it is packed with things to do!

It is serviced by regular buses and is within waking distance (ten minutes) of three train stations. It is also within walking, jogging or bike riding distance to ferries or across the bridge to the Sydney CBD.

It is close to an excellent Olympic Pool and library at North Sydney. Plus it is close to beautiful Balmoral Beach (and a few other beaches), via a short bus trip. Plus easy to get a taxi home from the city if need be after a night out there (Sydney Taxi drivers hate going long distances with fares!!) And not forgetting, it is close to your intended place of work.

It will be hard to arrange a proper flat rental from overseas. It is best to pre-book into Short Stay accommodation for 6 – 12 weeks (so you have your arrival covered), then look for somewhere more permanent once you are actually here.

Last time I tried to post a website for you, my post did not (and still has not) appeared. So please add in the WWW yourself, and check out the following Short Term Accommodation options:

glenferrielodge.com/home/

themansions.com.au

sydneyboardinghouse.com

theenglishlodge.com/sydney-accommodation.htm

servicedapartmentsonline.com.au/apartments/St+Leonards/

servicedapartmentsonline.com.au/apartments/Crows+Nest/

flatmates.com.au/flatshares/2065/crows-nest

gumtree.com.au/s-flatshare-houseshare/crows-nest-sydney/c18294l3003918

gvasydney.com/index.php (may be students only!?)

iglu.com.au/student-accommodation/sydney/iglu-chatswood (may be students only!?)

sydney.com/accommodation-backpackers-and-hostels

Most of these offer discounted rates for stays of a month or more – so pays to speak with the manager, rather than just relying on the advertised rates.

I know the area quite well - so if you have any more questions - just ask.

This is great thanks very much!! I will take a good look at all of this, Crows Nest does sound about right for me and maybe a bit more of a buzz than Cammeray.

You guys have all been so helpful and I really do appreciate it!! :hug:

This is great thanks very much!! I will take a good look at all of this, Crows Nest does sound about right for me and maybe a bit more of a buzz than Cammeray.

You guys have all been so helpful and I really do appreciate it!! :hug:

They are only about a kilometre away from each other, and 'less of a buzz' also means 'easier to park!' Both OK though.

TCrows Nest does sound about right for me and maybe a bit more of a buzz than Cammeray.

Cammeray is OK. Crows Nest is way better. But that is just my humble opinion.

Book into temporary accommodation for a few weeks or months. Then each weekend go to a different suburb and experience it for yourself.....and come to your own opinion.

Would love to hear back to where you eventually end up.

One more thing........

Other places you may like that have a “vibe and buzz” are:

Balmain, The Rocks, Glebe, Newtown and Surrey Hills.

But they are all inner city living across the bridge in the South.

Bit more of a hike to work in Roseville; but doable.

I really like Surrey Hills personally.

http://sydneymovingguide.com/sydney-suburbs-to-consider-for-your-first-apartment/

Manly (on Roseville side of bridge) also has a good vibe - but without a car – hard to get to Roseville.

Opps I forgot to mention previously:

Sometimes City Rail schedule trackwork at the weekends, and some train services won’t run.

But that is fine because they will provide a (rail bus) bus service that covers the train route anyway.

However, if you want to go further afield exploring livable suburbs on weekends, then this is a handy service:

http://www.goget.com.au/

GoGet gives you all the benefits of a car, without the hassle and expense of owning one!

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Opps I forgot to mention previously:

Sometimes City Rail schedule trackwork at the weekends, and some train services won’t run.

But that is fine because they will provide a (rail bus) bus service that covers the train route anyway.

However, if you want to go further afield exploring livable suburbs on weekends, then this is a handy service:

http://www.goget.com.au/

GoGet gives you all the benefits of a car, without the hassle and expense of owning one!

Well, they do provide a rail bus service, but it's usually much slower and/or you have to transfer from bus to train or vice versa. That's why I don't like working overtime on Saturdays in Penrith, doing something like 'bus to Blacktown, then train to Penrith.'

I've been meaning to look at 'GoGet' or similar. They are all over Surry Hills. I rang up one of the companies to tell them a car had been left with its lights on and they gave me a $50 credit, though I have not ever used it. Perhaps when my car finally fails its rego, I might investigate it.

Cammeray is OK. Crows Nest is way better. But that is just my humble opinion.

Book into temporary accommodation for a few weeks or months. Then each weekend go to a different suburb and experience it for yourself.....and come to your own opinion.

Would love to hear back to where you eventually end up.

Thanks, I will certainly let yous know! How long will this thread stay open for?

Well, they do provide a rail bus service, but it's usually much slower and/or you have to transfer from bus to train or vice versa.

Yes well of course it is much slower (you are comparing a train on an empty track.....to a bus on a busy road....... after all) :smile: But at least an alternative service IS provided by them - so something to be grateful about.

Scotlass - you can easily plan your weekends in advance, by looking at the schedule here: http://www.sydneytrains.info/service_updates/trackwork/ (see 6 months in advance too)

Edited by jumpingjellybean