Southampton anyone?

Marisawright

Rightly or wrongly, we've taken a flat in Southampton for six months. The deciding factor was the rent - for the same price as a dump in Bournemouth, we've got a nice modern place. It probably won't be our forever home but it's a good base to research the rest of the South.

It's funny how different we seem to be from the average Brit- which we already knew, really, from watching shows like Escape to the Country. I simply can't see why people (like my sister) would rather live in a wonky old 16th century cottage than a nice fresh contemporary house. We love looking at history but couldn't contemplate living in it!

Within minutes of arriving in the "charmless" Southampton city centre I felt far more at home than I had in Bournemouth! It certainly has its share of dubious architecture but it's clean and in good repair at least. As for traffic - yes the M27 was bumper-to-bumper on the way back to Bournemouth but I wonder, how often would I need to use that road at peak times? Traffic in the city itself didn't seem too bad and there seemed to be a lot more buses in evidence than in Bournemouth.

I am a bit disappointed as there seem to be very few dance classes in Southampton, which is our main hobby. I'm hoping it's simply that they don't have a web presence (not unusual for small dance schools)

Hi Marisa, I have relatives, nearer Winchester though, who are very much into their dancing too and are out quite a lot with it through the week so there is a demand for it in the area and there are classes/schools around and about, though personally don't know of any in the city centre but more in the out lying towns/villages so not sure this helps.

"Cities rather than towns" - yes exactly, perhaps I should've said I'm a city girl rather than calling myself a townie!

Ahhh I see. Bournemouth most definitely a town. I have only ever lived in towns or suburbs, never a city (so a definite 'townie' in my case).

I would be amazed if you didn't find dance classes in Southampton. I suggest that you visit the City Library as they are a mine of information for stuff like that (possibly still better than internet searching for some stuff).

Rightly or wrongly, we've taken a flat in Southampton for six months. The deciding factor was the rent - for the same price as a dump in Bournemouth, we've got a nice modern place. It probably won't be our forever home but it's a good base to research the rest of the South.

It's funny how different we seem to be from the average Brit- which we already knew, really, from watching shows like Escape to the Country. I simply can't see why people (like my sister) would rather live in a wonky old 16th century cottage than a nice fresh contemporary house. We love looking at history but couldn't contemplate living in it!

Within minutes of arriving in the "charmless" Southampton city centre I felt far more at home than I had in Bournemouth! It certainly has its share of dubious architecture but it's clean and in good repair at least. As for traffic - yes the M27 was bumper-to-bumper on the way back to Bournemouth but I wonder, how often would I need to use that road at peak times? Traffic in the city itself didn't seem too bad and there seemed to be a lot more buses in evidence than in Bournemouth.

I am a bit disappointed as there seem to be very few dance classes in Southampton, which is our main hobby. I'm hoping it's simply that they don't have a web presence (not unusual for small dance schools)

Most of The he dubious architecture was thrown up after the war, Southampton took an absolute pounding.