$12,000 quoted for shipping Brisbane-UK- Is this reasonable?

Tavigal

Hi folks,

We have received a shipping quote of $12K to ship a Landie Defender, 2 motorbikes and about 15 boxes of possessions (no furniture) back to the UK from Brisbane - Is this over-the-top, or does this sound about right to your knowledge? Thanks!

I recommend getting at least 3 quotes and ensure they are like-for-like in terms of service.

I would also question whether it is worth shipping a car. Strip out the cost of shipping the Land Rover and then assess whether you might be better off selling it before you leave and buying a replacement once you are back.

Does this include any of the additional charges associated with importing cars, like duty, compliance, registration etc.

i know it cost a fair bit on top of the transportation when we shipped from UK to OZ and assume there will be similar costs the other way.

Thanks for both of your replies. We have sought a couple more quotes since my original post and they are all in the same ball park. Apparently, December and early January are the busiest/most expensive months (if this info. helps anyone else?) Lots of people are currently planning on moves back to the UK and New Zealand the international removalists are saying: A bit of a quiet exodus going on...

Thanks for both of your replies. We have sought a couple more quotes since my original post and they are all in the same ball park. Apparently, December and early January are the busiest/most expensive months (if this info. helps anyone else?) Lots of people are currently planning on moves back to the UK and New Zealand the international removalists are saying: A bit of a quiet exodus going on...

We moved January this year. Yes we were also told it is the busiest time of the year, but quietens down about mid January and there was lots of availability from then.

If the cars are going in a container they can be stuffed full of anything legal with the shippers I use, at least.

PS I didn't pick the direction of the move when I responded before (I thought you were coming TO Australia Tavigal), but can still help either way. The process for an MOT in the UK is far easier than Australia's system, and in most cases you won't need to pay VAT on personal vehicles coming into the UK. But as Verystormy has said, it's generally uneconomic to take cars back to the UK unless you really love them.

Edited by Iron Chef

Did you get a quote from Grace? We had the most competative quote from them for a 40ft conatiner including vehicle.

Have you thought about insurance? I have been doing a bit of research weighing up a few options and am undecided wether to use the shipping company's insurance or seek this elsewhere (this would be cheaper but I am concerned that using a third party would make things complicated if we need to make a claim)