one way flights!!

trevnod

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone was to get a one way but wanted to keep a separate fund for the return esp incase of emergency do you think £800 would be enough? I know it's a really vague question but just a rough idea

That's right at the margins of what would be sufficient. You can get a flight for that price at the moment but wouldn't have a lot of choice (from memory Royal Brunei and China Southern tend to price up quite cheaply). But if you keep your money in Sterling, you'd be at the mercy of exchange rates.

Yes the Airport duty is the main cost which is very large for long flights from London.

You could probably do it a lot cheaper flying to any close European destination such as Paris and fly on from there.

It's very unlikely to be a lot cheaper based on taxes. UK APD is now GBP71 for economy flights to Australia. Weigh that up against the costs of buying a separate flight elsewhere in the EU / inconvenience / potential for mis-connect assuming you're not going to go a day early and pay to stay somewhere.

Refuelling at Bangkok with Emirates a week ago, travelling SYD to DXB, the choice was:

(a) take all your carry-on baggage off the plane with you and have to pass through security before boarding again, or

(b) stay on the plane

Last time I did a direct flight, we were allowed off the plane into the gate lounge

Ahh I couldn't remember him mentioning singapore on the phone but I guess we couldn't go from london to Sydney without stopping!

Tbh I couldn't find a massive difference in price that made it worth the travel. Trains are expensive! Flights are cheapish but then I've got to pay for my luggage too and then a hotel. I'll keep looking though just incase

I'm wondering why you're going via London when Emirates has direct flights from Glasgow to Dubai? Seven hours instead of 20 makes more sense to me.

Edited by Marisawright

I'm wondering why you're going via London when Emirates has direct flights from Glasgow to Dubai? Seven hours instead of 20 makes more sense to me.

Because I asked him for the cheapest and this was what he gave me but I've found a return with Singapore airlines for not much more. I can't remember what Emirates were coming in at, I'll have to go and check. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435130064.083885.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435130064.083885.jpg

The only other thing I was thinking about is if a airline says you can change the date for a price but you have to fly from the same airport then that isn't ideal if say I was in perth when I decided I wanted/needed to get home. Although I suppose it's not hundreds of pounds to get there

Wow I still can't believe how much they are charging

I know. It would be so easy for me just to book a single and put the money aside for the return portion but it's really difficult when I don't know exactly how much that would cost. It seems to vary wildly from 400 to 900. My cousin in melbourne was winding me up about all of this earlier because he finds it funny when I get stressed but he said he found a single from melbourne to UK for just over £300 apparently. God knows who the airline was though, probably awful one

A lot depends on when you fly, ie time of year, and time of week, both for departures and arrivals. We've just booked four 1 way tickets on Singapore airlines to Melbourne at the end of august, for £1800 for the lot - thats 450 each. the outlaws are coming to see us end of Jan and their return flights are £1250 each! (2500 all in) - seems to be arriving in summer holidays and travelling at the weekend. The same journey 4 weeks later, travelling mid week is £1500 for 2 returns.

Maybe just book a single then keep £800 aside. You may want to stop off in Thailand or simewhere else on your way home in which case you would be able to go low cost to Asia then a cheaper single ticket from there to UK.

Do you think £800 would be enough? I want to see New Zealand and Thailand but I don't know if I want it eating into my year so would probably prefer to do it separately.

I don't know if this is a silly question but say I book a return and make the return april or May. Can I phone up and ask them to change it to the following year or is that not allowed? A backpacker on facebook just told me I could for a fee but I don't believe them lol. I thought I could only change the date within the year

Also - I was messing around with the singapore airline dates to get a idea of the flight price differences. Some of them were coming up at £1800!!! So potentially I could book a return for £1000 and my date change lands on a expensive date pay the difference of that?