one way flights!!

trevnod

You wouldn't even see your luggage hon,its all transferred for you! I didn't see my luggage from Heathrow to Adelaide!lol I have flown with Malaysian before via KL.Stayed in the city one time with my OH and kids overnight.Also done that on my own but stayed at the adjoining hotel at the side of the airport.It was ok,abit boring on your own though I admit!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel the fear and do it anyway hon!You'll be fine!Book the ticket!:laugh:I left Oz when I was 18 and went travelling alone.And that was a long time ago!haha I've since flown back and forth to Oz alone several times.Its actually quite nice going alone.

I don't have the money to book the ticket right now lol although I should hopefully have 900 or 1,000 in the bank on Thursday to put away in savings. Things just haven't went to plan but I'll get on track eventually. I'm just worried about the job situation but we'll see!

Yeah least you get peace if you're alone haha. Id quite like the company got a while but then they might start to annoy me. I think that would be the same if I went backpacking with a friend. Least if you go alone you can suit yourself and if people start to annoy you then you can move on!

I don't think an hour would be enough time to swap flights :(

The minimum transfer time at AMS is 50 min. If you miss the flight because the flights you've booked are too close together, the airline is not obliged to put you on the next flight, which is what they would do if your first flight was delayed out of your control. Google "minimum transfer time" for whatever airport you're interested in.

Don't want to sound alarmist, but why risk it?

Some airlines will transfer your baggage for you btwn flights - but not all will - I don't know what the rule is for that.

Nah I'm not a risky person lol. I didn't book a flight with flybe last year to the Channel Islands because the connection time was only 45 minutes. I didn't want to risk it so I went from glasgow to Jersey then Jersey to Guernsey. One girl did do it and said it was fine but I didn't want to risk it. The etihad ones are short too - just under 2 hours but that's all one airline from glasgow so I'm assuming they move your luggage

Nah I'm not a risky person lol. I didn't book a flight with flybe last year to the Channel Islands because the connection time was only 45 minutes. I didn't want to risk it so I went from glasgow to Jersey then Jersey to Guernsey. One girl did do it and said it was fine but I didn't want to risk it. The etihad ones are short too - just under 2 hours but that's all one airline from glasgow so I'm assuming they move your luggage

Yes 2hrs is fine when you're with the same airline. Just a case of having a bit of time to wander around and then getting back on the plane. And they will send your bags all the way (usually they will ask you at check if you want them all the way through to [name of your final destination].

Edited by vickyplum

Yeah they said that to me on the way home when I went with flybe which was quite good. I was expecting to go through it all again so it made things a bit easier. I'll have to think about wether I'm wanting to get a one way flight or a return, i'm edging more towards a return now.

Some airlines will transfer your baggage for you btwn flights - but not all will - I don't know what the rule is for that.

The rule is that if al the flights are on the same ticket number and itinerary, they will be transferred, even between airlines if they are done on a codeshare or other arrangement. If they are done on separate tickets, you will have to collect luggage and re-check it. Some low cost carriers do not sell connecting flights and will only sell point to point tickets toavoid the hassle of baggage transfer and helping passengers in case of missed connections. You will know when you check your bag in whether it is checked all the way through or only checked to a connecting point.

Like everything, there are exceptions.

Transiting through the US, you may have to collect luggage even if on the same airline because their security fetish makes them unwilling to hold onto checked baggage. And if you come through an international flight and transfer onto a domestic flight (e.g. Wellington - Brisbane - Cairns) you may have to collect luggage, take it through customs, and then hand it back to the airline - depends on the country.

I finally booked my flights yesterday direct with Singapore Airlines via Singapore leaving on 13/08 from Heathrow. Also having a 2 night stop over to see a friend and then heading on to Melbourne on 16/08. Total cost £626 all in which I was happy with.

Then the adventure begins.

Is is that a single or a return? Best I can find for about then is £458 from Edinburgh to Perth with 2 stops.

I finally booked my flights yesterday direct with Singapore Airlines via Singapore leaving on 13/08 from Heathrow. Also having a 2 night stop over to see a friend and then heading on to Melbourne on 16/08. Total cost £626 all in which I was happy with.

Then the adventure begins.

You don't like direct flights did you say? How come? Thought that would be a good thing

Thats one way, £458 is good, I did see some for around 500 direct with 1 or 2 stops, however I dont think I could handle a direct flight.

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly can't decide what to do. It's going to cost me around £1k for a return and then another £100 - 145 to change the date plus the difference if it's a more expensive date. If I knew I was going to be coming back on a certain date I would go for it but I honestly don't know what my plans are. I might decide by May I want to come home or I might want to do another year in australia or new zealand. Really want to visit NZ. So a return is going to be around £1200 or something like that and my single is around £560 or cheaper if I go through asia. The sensible part of me says get a return but part of me doesn't want my return planned before I even go. Either way I'll make sure I've got 650-750 in the bank for the return part, im not planning on just booking a single and not having anything to get home with. That will ideally go in a different account. I also enquired about a credit card the other day for absolute emergencies, I definitely wouldn't use it for other stuff. I've never been one for bothering with credit, loans etc

You don't like direct flights did you say? How come? Thought that would be a good thing

No! Over 20 hours sitting in a cramped airline seat is not a nice experience. Believe me, by the time you've been in the plane for 10 or 11 hours you'll be glad of the chance to get off and stretch your legs, even if it's only for a couple of hours. I always try to have a long stopover - say, six hours or more - and then I book into the transit hotel or the lounge (which has nap areas, showers etc). I find that extra rest and a shower makes all the difference to how fresh I feel when I arrive at my destination.

Try UK - Singapore or Malaysia, then Fly Scoot or Air Asia to Oz. I actually managed to get to Oz for 190 pounds in 2009 that way. Not the most pleasant flying experience though.

....but you can get plenty where you get the same plane all the way and you just get off for a short refuel somewhere, done that a few times.

That would be ideal.

Luggage stays on board and you get an hour or so wandering around the airport.

I've done it too.

That would be ideal.

Luggage stays on board and you get an hour or so wandering around the airport.

I've done it too.

See, that doesn't work for me. I'm such a zombie by the halfway mark, that once I get off the plane I can't bear the thought of getting back on it again - and I'm ready to kill someone by the end of the trip. Whereas if I get a long enough stopover to get a shower and a nap, I'm human again.