Is Anyone Happy?

HelenDoick

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a beautiful house good job and I still went back to bloody England.

Still bitter then?Im going to advise you this ok?When people whinge about where they live in Australia?People often advise they move to a different place within Oz?If you don't like where you live Jasepom,maybe a move would be good for you?:wink:If I remember correctly didn't you move back because your wife and kids did?If that's the case surely people take preference over a place?

The pubs are still alright in UK but the prices have gone up. You don't get much change out of a fiver now for a pint of beer. But then again we buy mostly slabs here and drink them at home, that's the thing to do.

Where are you living ? We get almost 2 pints for a fiver and would get 2 if we drank beer and not cider.

Edited by bristolman
spelling

I moved back cause I thought that's what my wife wanted. But it wasn't, we did it out of pure stupidity not a thought on what we would do when we got back there.

If that's the case,stop being miserable and start making plans back to Oz!No point in wasting your life away being somewhere you obviously dislike right?

^^^ Yes, we enjoyed our nights out at the local pubs in the UK when we were young. Now though, I don't drink much at all and I have a good social life without going to a pub. Even when I'm back in the UK, I rarely go to the local pub.

I slid straight back into it very easily Jock.:laugh: I was there without my wife, my nephews are in their late 20's and it's always a good place to get out the house and have a chat. I would be way over weight if I lived in the UK.:wink:

I've always loved drinking in a pub and the atmosphere, never been that bothered about drinking at home on my own. Might have a beer when the footy's on, that's about it.

I sort of figured locals went out here in the early 80's. Drink driving laws and society change. Pubs not as cosy nor welcoming as a number of locals there. (Yes I'm aware of plenty of rough ones, have turned on heel and walked straight out of a number of English pubs with an aggro vibe) So IMV there are other factors outside of cost. One can easily go for a pint after work there as often did and rarely did here.

Not necessary a young persons thing either in UK. Far more so inclined here.

Never been one for the pint after work thing. Plenty do here, mostly Friday nights. Great if you are single I bet.

That brings to mind a couple I knew from work, she Irish he English, who returned to England and couldn't reconcile themselves that the relatives they stayed with went out almost every night to the pub. They were used to bed before ten. It just shows how one changes and adapts to the culture one finds oneself in.

Yep I had a couple of nights where I struggled. The nephews and my Sisters fella paid for a boxing match on TV. We watched the warm up bouts, it got to something like 11:00 pm and the main fight hadn't even started. I couldn't be bothered to hang around and went to bed. Next morning, when they surfaced about 11:00am they told me I hadn't missed much as it was boring and over pretty quick.

What I found was that they got up a lot later than I'm used to. I would be up waiting for my Sis to come and take me up to visit Mum in the care home we had got her in. I would be up at 7:00ish which is pretty late for me and invariably she would ring about 9:00 saying I'm running a bit late.:rolleyes:

For some reason they always seemed to be in a rush too. Maybe I've become too relaxed living here?

Yep I had a couple of nights where I struggled. The nephews and my Sisters fella paid for a boxing match on TV. We watched the warm up bouts, it got to something like 11:00 pm and the main fight hadn't even started. I couldn't be bothered to hang around and went to bed. Next morning, when they surfaced about 11:00am they told me I hadn't missed much as it was boring and over pretty quick.

What I found was that they got up a lot later than I'm used to. I would be up waiting for my Sis to come and take me up to visit Mum in the care home we had got her in. I would be up at 7:00ish which is pretty late for me and invariably she would ring about 9:00 saying I'm running a bit late.:rolleyes:

For some reason they always seemed to be in a rush too. Maybe I've become too relaxed living here?

Even though I'm retired now, I still get up 6 or 6:30ish. Habit I guess after years of rushing around before leaving the house at 7 to get to work. Now I go for a long walk - best time of day in many ways :wink:

Were you on holiday though Paul?And they were working?

Happy and content, kids are happy and enjoy living here, relatives have visited and loved how we live, still get 'wow, I live here moments'. 8 years for us, no regrets,

52 years and still get that, Ali...

For the last fortnight, for example, literally thousands of blue tiger butterflies resting on the trees behind my place.

IMG_0004_zpsnnjju46v.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Never been one for the pint after work thing. Plenty do here, mostly Friday nights. Great if you are single I bet.

Well not really. Although if the truth be known it was too much the other extreme in London, at least in some jobs with the expectation of boozer after work. At least I didn't find it great being single in Perth.

Yes a couple we sometimes stay with a few days tend to be up until one or so in the morning but don't get up until eleven if no reason to do so. I like late nights but also get up early and so infuriating sitting around trying not to make any noise as not to disturb them. Hence only short stays.

Early mornings are akin to countryside and rural environments. I am most certainly not a fan of early nights as is regular in Perth. One thing I'll likely never come to terms with when living in a city. There is a reason for it of course. Little reason to sit up being the prime one I'd say.

Even though I'm retired now, I still get up 6 or 6:30ish. Habit I guess after years of rushing around before leaving the house at 7 to get to work. Now I go for a long walk - best time of day in many ways :wink:

My wife works part time and when she's on the early shift gets up at 6:00am. I get up with her and go for a surf ski paddle. Been this morning and it's getting a bit cooler and darker. We used to go at 5:30 and now go at 6:30 as it's only just getting light. A few of us manage to keep it up through the winter. Strangely it makes me feel less tired at work and more alert than if I miss a couple of days.

Were you on holiday though Paul?And they were working?
No my Sister was off because my Dad had died and my nephew and niece were off because they tried a job in Qatar, hated it from day 1, had quite and only just got back, so were still looking for jobs. They were also having to stay at my Sisters place with the 3 kids as they rented their house out when they went.

The night we stopped up to watch the boxing was Friday anyway, so no reason to get up early I suppose. Have to admit to doing the same thing when I was young and lived in the UK. Didn't used to get up on Saturdays until the pub was about to open and only used to get up Sunday mornings because I used to play soccer and the kick off was at 11:00am. Followed by pub after of course.:wink:

Well not really. Although if the truth be known it was too much the other extreme in London, at least in some jobs with the expectation of boozer after work. At least I didn't find it great being single in Perth.

I worked in London for a while and found a lot of people would go straight to the boozer to miss the rush on public transport and get home a bit more leisurely. Then it becomes a bit of a habit to stay for one more pint. It was OK for me, I was living in Manchester and travelled down on Monday, back on Friday. The other guys and women I worked with used to do it out of habit. Their other half must have been understanding. I don't think my missus would have put up with me rolling in at 7:00ish with a couple of pints in me.

I worked in London for a while and found a lot of people would go straight to the boozer to miss the rush on public transport and get home a bit more leisurely. Then it becomes a bit of a habit to stay for one more pint. It was OK for me, I was living in Manchester and travelled down on Monday, back on Friday. The other guys and women I worked with used to do it out of habit. Their other half must have been understanding. I don't think my missus would have put up with me rolling in at 7:00ish with a couple of pints in me.

Exactly like that. All seemed pretty well accepted to me. When I think of it my then partner and I done a lot separately without question. It seemed to work well ...not exactly in the end it didn't ,but it was a very different life and miss a lot of aspects of it at times although not the complete package.

Yes a couple we sometimes stay with a few days tend to be up until one or so in the morning but don't get up until eleven if no reason to do so. I like late nights but also get up early and so infuriating sitting around trying not to make any noise as not to disturb them. Hence only short stays.

Early mornings are akin to countryside and rural environments. I am most certainly not a fan of early nights as is regular in Perth. One thing I'll likely never come to terms with when living in a city. There is a reason for it of course. Little reason to sit up being the prime one I'd say.

What did you used to sit up late doing in the UK flag that was so interesting? Not TV I hope. To be honest that's what I used to do. Just got into the habit of staying up watching any old crap on TV and then wake up on the settee at 12:00am and go to bed. My missus has never been one for sitting up and has always gone to bed before me, even when we were in the UK.

If I lived in the City, like you, I think I would stay up a bit later as there are things to do in Perth that you can walk to. No reason to go to bed early and I only do it in the burbs because I like to get up early and do some exercise before work. Like Jock said, best part of the day, specially in summer.

A few years ago we had the SIL and BIL and there kids come to stay with us. We went to Rotto for a week, just before Christmas. Me and the wife would get up with the kids, ours and theirs, I would take them fishing (untangling line for me:laugh:) about 6:30, after breakfast, then go back to the unit about 10:00. Usually the in-laws were just getting up. One morning they actually complained because the kids had been a bit noisy at 6:00 and disturbed them.:rolleyes:

What did you used to sit up late doing in the UK flag that was so interesting? Not TV I hope. To be honest that's what I used to do. Just got into the habit of staying up watching any old crap on TV and then wake up on the settee at 12:00am and go to bed. My missus has never been one for sitting up and has always gone to bed before me, even when we were in the UK.

If I lived in the City, like you, I think I would stay up a bit later as there are things to do in Perth that you can walk to. No reason to go to bed early and I only do it in the burbs because I like to get up early and do some exercise before work. Like Jock said, best part of the day, specially in summer.

A few years ago we had the SIL and BIL and there kids come to stay with us. We went to Rotto for a week, just before Christmas. Me and the wife would get up with the kids, ours and theirs, I would take them fishing (untangling line for me:laugh:) about 6:30, after breakfast, then go back to the unit about 10:00. Usually the in-laws were just getting up. One morning they actually complained because the kids had been a bit noisy at 6:00 and disturbed them.:rolleyes:

Never owned a tv for more than ten years in London. Wasn't until coming here caught up in part with some of what I missed. Living in a great area it was about very bohemian and very social, with pubs only a part of the deal.

Living close to the city here in Perth is little in comparison of course, but still far prefer it to suburban living which would never suit me. I have tried it by the way.

Yes I realise the summer attractions. Swum eight months a year in the far colder Southern Ocean, at around 6.30 until darkness prevented when lived down there. Do miss that as could never get into it with regularity in Perth though do a good few dozen times a year but only in the warmer months.

I think both lifestyles if that is the correct term would contribute to a life reasonably well lived.