Utlitily Bills Families

RNB31

So on that rough guide Gas and Elec $240 compared to what I thought of $140 a month

Yes but could be more or it could be less. Depends on how many showers you all take, how much you use the heating, what sort of heating, actual size of the house, state of insulation of the house etc etc etc.

My gas bill for large house and I have all zones operating is about $320.00 and its been about that when the kids were home and when they are not home. Not all houses are jerry built here bit of a an over exageration. We have standards now for new housing requiring insulation and other energy saving these days. My friend who has a large pool was paying $1000 a month but she overcame this by getting solar panels lots of them.

We have lived here for over thirty years and we had central heating in our houses and we like climate control and we never had a problem. We don't have double glazing and whether we need it not sure. I found in the UK last time I was there down in Kent we were in a holiday home that had it and it got hot that summer and the double glazing made the house so hot it was unbearable. There is usually a reason why things are different here and most of them come down to the climate. Once a house gets hot in summer you want the heat out not in. That is why we have single storey homes mainly as heat rises and anyone who does not have aircon and lives in a double storey house will find out.

If you want climate control verandas are the go

It is often difficult to remember whether bills are quarterly or two-monthly. But I have always thought that people on PIO grossly understate their bills.

We are a family of four in outer Melbourne - including two boys aged 10 and 15. Accroding to our bills, our consumption is slightly above typical for a family of our size in our area, but not by much.

Water - quarterly - $400-$500 per bill

Electricity - two monthly - $900 per bill

Gas - quarterly - $600 per bill in winter and $150 per bill in summer

It is often difficult to remember whether bills are quarterly or two-monthly. But I have always thought that people on PIO grossly understate their bills.

We are a family of four in outer Melbourne - including two boys aged 10 and 15. Accroding to our bills, our consumption is slightly above typical for a family of our size in our area, but not by much.

Dont be so ridiculous! Why would anyone want to lie about their bill - here's ours to show definately not understated.

Edited by ali

$900 for 2 months electricity!!!! :shocked: Our bill is every 3 months and is easily half that and I am not grossly understating. We don't sit around the house all day using electricity - we are out and about and often sit out on the verandah at home where it catches the sun. I sit out there reading every day. We don't have gas but we do have solar. Our last (quarterly) water bill was $264 and that included watering the garden.

I find car registration is cheaper here. We pay $500 per annum.

$900 for 2 months electricity!!!! :shocked: Our bill is every 3 months and is easily half that and I am not grossly understating. We don't sit around the house all day using electricity - we are out and about and often sit out on the verandah at home where it catches the sun. I sit out there reading every day. We don't have gas but we do have solar. Our last (quarterly) water bill was $264 and that included watering the garden.

I find car registration is cheaper here. We pay $500 per annum.

You are in Tasmania so your bills won't compare. Utilities bills (and car rego) vary considerably from state to state. Also, you don't say how many of you there are. That will also have a bearing. Plus, if you use solar power, you are obviously going to have lower bills.

Mine are bang on too.

Don't forget that is with solar panels, that is still an extremely small quarterly bill with a small amount of solar panels.. You really need to look at all the figures given and come up with a rough average. Apparently the average yearly bill is in the region of $1800-1900.

The summer bill from Mid Jan to Mid April was $99........

I think what the OP needs is for families in MELBOURNE in an average 3 bed house with no solar. There are so many variables but it doesn't help them to know what people in Tassie or Queensland use.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply and this is all good info, but as bristolman says, I am really looking for families in Melbourne suburbs, 3 or 4 bed house, preferably newer build houses so I can get an idea.

I do think from what I have read on this post I need to account for $100-200 more a month to cover the Utilities

I live in the outer suburbs of Melbourne 4 bedroom house 3 adults living here. We have a woodheater for heating no airconditioning. Houses are jerry built here but now have to be insulated walls & ceiling. My elec/ gas combined are about $350-00 per month water $100-00 council rates are about $1500- a year if you buy. Bills have gone crazy the last few years. At least you can shop around for food and petrol the utilities are crooks though.

Ive just relooked at this and even though its a year old, most costs havent changed that much.

Health insurance is up a few hundred a year, car rego also up $50 pa each.

Other insurances down, as too is fuel.

The rest about the same.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/208074-living-costs-melbourne-2014-a.html

Great info, Thanks. is your child care bill, 2 kids for 2 full days? I was looking at childcare of $100 a day.

My $95k is top line salary, its going to be tough!

Great info, Thanks. is your child care bill, 2 kids for 2 full days? I was looking at childcare of $100 a day.

My $95k is top line salary, its going to be tough!

Child care benefit is about 10% off the $100, then Child care rebate is 50% off that, so about $45 per day for the 4yo and about $20 per day for the 7yo in before and after school care.

Child care benefit is about 10% off the $100, then Child care rebate is 50% off that, so about $45 per day for the 4yo and about $20 per day for the 7yo in before and after school care.

Ah thats great, I didn't realise the figures have rebate etc deducted already.

I did my calculations on their website and its does help.

How do you think you would find in on a joint income of $95k before tax, then when one goes to school if that was to drop to $75-80k?

How do you think you would find in on a joint income of $95k before tax, then when one goes to school if that was to drop to $75-80k?

It's difficult to say because people tend to scrape by on what they have, imagine that $20k more would be transformational, and get puzzled why people on twice their money still struggle.

The truth is, $95k is not a huge joint income for bringing up a family. Some people will do it on much less, though.

It's difficult to say because people tend to scrape by on what they have, imagine that $20k more would be transformational, and get puzzled why people on twice their money still struggle.

The truth is, $95k is not a huge joint income for bringing up a family. Some people will do it on much less, though.

Yip with one of us only being able to work fulltime the big question is , is $95k going to work for us, i suppose yes we will make it work, but is that going to give us what we want/need. Only me and my wife can answer that now...

We are going to have to go away with all the info and advise and have a serious think.

We have the money to do it

We want to do it

But the wage situation does make me nervous

Thanks for all the info guys

RNB. We will be arriving on one income for at least 4 months. My basic is only $64900 and the rest will be any allowances I earn for shift allowances, perhaps 15% extra. I still believe without spending like fools that we will easily achieve this. We are not expecting to arrive and buy brand new cars or get loans etc. We still believe from all our resources that we will be fine and able to save for a deposit for our house, although this will be easier when hubby starts work (start of the academic year).

My basic is only $64900 and the rest will be any allowances I earn for shift allowances, perhaps 15% extra. ...We still believe from all our resources that we will be fine and able to save for a deposit for our house.

This is unrealistic. The cheapest of cheap houses would be $300,000 - a 20% deposit would be $60k - which is more money than you'd see in a year. Supporting two people on $65k will take every cent and leave no room for any extras. Please believe this.

This is unrealistic. The cheapest of cheap houses would be $300,000 - a 20% deposit would be $60k - which is more money than you'd see in a year. Supporting two people on $65k will take every cent and leave no room for any extras. Please believe this.

I agree,

i can be a real tightarse looking for bargains and reduced items,

but that much (before tax) would scare me with the lack of wiggle space i would have,

even without the costs of the kids

I agree,

i can be a real tightarse looking for bargains and reduced items,

but that much (before tax) would scare me with the lack of wiggle space i would have,

even without the costs of the kids

But re-reading Jac's post, its only short term.

Long term, scary.