IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

Hey guys, just thought I'd give my ten cents worth. I sat the PTE on Tuesday and got 90 overall, with individual scores of 90, 84, 90, 86. I used the official book to revise, using the included software to take the three mock exams. That's all!! I did the mocks each night leading up to the test and got my results the morning after the test! Next step, skills assessment!

Hi,

just found out out about the Pte test and have been researching some info online. I have noticed the Edinburgh test are on Mondays at 2 o'clock and was wondering if anybody knows how long the test normally takes ?

Thanks

Hi all

I am new the forum and was looking for some assistance with pte.

I have my exam next week and I just wanted to find out for the re tell lecture part in the speaking assessment are we able to make notes?

any advice would be great and apologies if this as already been asked previously.

Hi all

I am new the forum and was looking for some assistance with pte.

I have my exam next week and I just wanted to find out for the re tell lecture part in the speaking assessment are we able to make notes?

any advice would be great and apologies if this as already been asked previously.

Yes you can makes notes all the way through the exam. They give you a wipe-able board and pen when you enter the exam room.

Hi everyone,

I need some helps on how to prepare for PTE-A. I found out that the parts of describing image and re-telling lecture on Speaking section could be really tricky. Most of time I couldn't have finished my speech in 40 seconds. Every time when I tried to speak fast, it got worse. Then, I would oftenly get nervous and my brain didn't follow up or process any sentences.

On top of that, the content in the re-telling lecture of Speaking and the summarising spoken text of Listening could be difficult to understand occasionally, especially when the speaker mentioned some person names or unknown terminologies which were also the key words. I just simply got stuck when that happened.

Please, anyone can give me any advices to those, aren't there?

Hi thanks for sharing your experiences with the tests this is really interesting! I am a native born english speaker and I took the IELTS test as I needed the max 20 points despite lots of practices I got marked down on the reading section which is annoying because I even studied English Literature! I don't think these tests are always a true reflection of someones ability, only how well you can jump through the hoops of the exam board and if you cope okay with the exam stress. I only got the 10 points overall due to that one reading section so I am going to retake and will now consider which exam body to use. I have only just heard of the PTE test so thanks for that. I found it hard to hear during some of the IELTS test as it was a large hall with a tape recording and you could hear the sounds from another exam next door. Well done for persevering with your tests and getting the result you wanted! I will now look into the PTE as sitting at a booth with headphones sounds better for me. Thanks and I hope your visa application is a success!

hi ,friends i m planning to give english test for my visa condition i need 6 each .. what you think which one is better option for me ??

i done IELTS 2 YEARS before and i got 5.5 bands ,but now i need 6 each .. some peoples say to me PTE -A is good and easy ..please give me some advise which way i have to go...

Hi,

I think PTE is worth taking it. Though I hv planned to take the test in 1st week of April. My previous 2 attempts were for TOEFL ibt. The structure of the test is good, but anyhow didn't score reqd marks. So, finally planning to take PTE. Hope this time I get through.

Al da best to those taking the test. Do keep sharing your experiences.

Cheers !!!

Guys, is 79 achievable in PTE?

Yes

Has anyone succeeded to get it?

Yes - see the first post.

I have got L71, R70, W65, S88 in my first exam without preparation and I need to get 79 in each. Do you think I will be able to get it this time after study and good preparation?

That's impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy ... so the answer to that is "possibly"

Edited by supercow

Guys, is 79 achievable in PTE? Has anyone succeeded to get it?

I have got L71, R70, W65, S88 in my first exam without preparation and I need to get 79 in each. Do you think I will be able to get it this time after study and good preparation?

Ofcourse its POSSIBLE. I know students getting overall 90 as well. Though they have taken some coaching but the score is possible. Target 90 so that you land at 80 or 80+.

Edited by cm1212

Guest Tolu Dee

my ietls test was reading 8, listening 8.5 writing 7 speaking 7, currently have 55 points am preparing for the PTE in april hope to ace it aiming for 90 across board to get additional 10 points, appreciate every person who has taken time to explain, would keep the forum posted

Dear Supercow, I am just wanting to thankyou sincerely for your thread, I read it and read and gained the courage to apply for the pearson test, I, like you, passed it the first time, I believe this test to be so much easier, especially for English educated people, however as you have previously stated this is not a guarantee ,but for me the whole set up was much better than IELTS. I sat the test on Wednesday and had the results the following morning. I would not have attempted the pearson test without reading your thread as the IELTS had knocked my confidence, Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

:notworthy: xxx Lisa

Edited by yorkshire rose
grammar

Absolutely I had over 80 s on everything but reading but I took advise from this forum I bought tnbe book with CD from Amazon (cheaper) and worked through it I was shocking at telling the details of graphs in the allocated time so I wasn't surprised but I have sat the ielts 5 x and got over 7s once I passed this first time x good Luck x

Guest Woolich85

I did a week of revision with the book/cd, took the three mock exams on the cd each night leading up to the exam. Sat the PTE and got the below scores first time. It's not easy by a long shot, but with practice you can get it! Good luck!

I did a week of revision with the book/cd, took the three mock exams on the cd each night leading up to the exam. Sat the PTE and got the below scores first time. It's not easy by a long shot, but with practice you can get it! Good luck!

Well, excellent scores. My test is in the early April and I am still practising for it though. Wish me good luck.

I am just back from sitting my PTE exam this morning. I have to say that was of the least enjoyable experiences of my life! I found it very stressful and intense.

I ran out of time on one of the essays and the timer stopped before I was finished, and I know that I made some spelling mistakes (so used to relying on a spell checker these days).

I think that I have reasonable English, but I need 20 points from this and that doesn't leave much room for error on the day.

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd stick in my two-penneth after spending so much time deciding which english test to take myself! I'm a yorkshire girl, always been pretty good at English through school etc but after hearing stories of many academic professionals failing the IELTS 3/4/5 times I started to worry and began looking into other options.

After weighing up the pro's and cons of TOFL/PTE/IELTS I decided to go for the PTE. One of the big factors which lead me to choosing the PTE-A was that i found the IELTS questions contain an extra option for a lot of their questions “None of the above”. After reading through the forums and looking at some practice IELTS content it made me sceptical of taking the test, as it means that none of the given options are necessarily correct (At least with PTE I knew that the answer is definitively one of the options given). So for me that was decision made.

Here are some links any of you may or may not find useful - I doubt I've accessed anything online that you’re not capable of finding yourself, or that hasn't already been mentioned in this post.... but if I can save anyone the time I guess it’s a bonus.

• I found a few test questions online here. They also have some IELTS test questions and TOFL
  • I have 'acquired' (.torrent) a copy of the “Practice Tests Plus” book, which is really good and has 4 full length practice tests in it and the answer guides. I'd recommend this!
  • Also purchased the PTE official book - got to admit I only used the practice test and task questions from this book. Didn't read the majority of it - but practicing the tests worked perfectly for me!
  • I purchased the GOLD Package of online exams from the pearson website (think it was about £50?) - Absolute godsend

Pearson’s have also released some official documents for guidance:

If you go to http://pearsonpte.com/ and register you also get access to a few test questions, if you haven’t already.

I revised for 2 weeks. 1/2 hours after work for 5 days, and took 3 days off work where I spent half the day revising. Personally, going through the practice tests and questions worked best for me. I got 78 in both my timed online practice tests, which was a fail for me as I needed 79 - so by exam day I was so nervous!

I was worried about being put-off by being able to hear other people speaking in the room, but as plenty have already said - you soon forget about them and 'get in the zone'. I didn't particularly feel that my test went well, I stuttered on a couple of the speaking parts and almost ran out of time on the reading - but 5 days later I got my results and received 90 in each area. Still not sure how I managed that, I definitely stuttered and answered some questions incorrectly - but overall was still good enough.

If a computer can understand my Yorkshire accent and still give me full marks I'm sure that can give hope to some of you! :P Apologies if I've rambled a little, just wanted to share my personal experience :)

Whatever any of you decide, best of luck!!

Edited by Newbie65

Yes

Yes - see the first post.

That's impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy ... so the answer to that is "possibly"

Thanks a lot for your reply, do you have any materials that can help me?

Also have you tried the Gold Test Preparation Kit? Will it be of any help?

Hi Guys,

but 5 days later I got my results and received 90 in each area. Still not sure how I managed that, I definitely stuttered and answered some questions incorrectly - but overall was still good enough.

I'm in the same situation, have got got L71, R70, W65, S88 and need to get 79 in each to claim the 15 points :(

Any help? Any tips? :(

Can you please send me the link of this book and CD?

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd stick in my two-penneth after spending so much time deciding which english test to take myself! I'm a yorkshire girl, always been pretty good at English through school etc but after hearing stories of many academic professionals failing the IELTS 3/4/5 times I started to worry and began looking into other options.

After weighing up the pro's and cons of TOFL/PTE/IELTS I decided to go for the PTE. One of the big factors which lead me to choosing the PTE-A was that i found the IELTS questions contain an extra option for a lot of their questions “None of the above”. After reading through the forums and looking at some practice IELTS content it made me sceptical of taking the test, as it means that none of the given options are necessarily correct (At least with PTE I knew that the answer is definitively one of the options given). So for me that was decision made.

Here are some links any of you may or may not find useful - I doubt I've accessed anything online that you’re not capable of finding yourself, or that hasn't already been mentioned in this post.... but if I can save anyone the time I guess it’s a bonus.

• I found a few test questions online here. They also have some IELTS test questions and TOFL

• I have 'acquired' (.torrent) a copy of the “Practice Tests Plus” book, which is really good and has 4 full length practice tests in it and the answer guides. I'd recommend this!

• Also purchased the PTE official book - got to admit I only used the practice test and task questions from this book. Didn't read the majority of it - but practicing the tests worked perfectly for me!

• I purchased the GOLD Package of online exams from the pearson website (think it was about £50?) - Absolute godsend

Pearson’s have also released some official documents for guidance:

If you go to http://pearsonpte.com/ and register you also get access to a few test questions, if you haven’t already.

I revised for 2 weeks. 1/2 hours after work for 5 days, and took 3 days off work where I spent half the day revising. Personally, going through the practice tests and questions worked best for me. I got 78 in both my timed online practice tests, which was a fail for me as I needed 79 - so by exam day I was so nervous!

I was worried about being put-off by being able to hear other people speaking in the room, but as plenty have already said - you soon forget about them and 'get in the zone'. I didn't particularly feel that my test went well, I stuttered on a couple of the speaking parts and almost ran out of time on the reading - but 5 days later I got my results and received 90 in each area. Still not sure how I managed that, I definitely stuttered and answered some questions incorrectly - but overall was still good enough.

If a computer can understand my Yorkshire accent and still give me full marks I'm sure that can give hope to some of you! :P Apologies if I've rambled a little, just wanted to share my personal experience :)

Whatever any of you decide, best of luck!!

Thanks for an excellent summary of your experience, my wife is looking at doing this soon having not achieved on the IELTS reading part. I managed to get the book from amazon for £18 delivered and someone else posted a very useful link below with sources.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...i=1#identifier

Hopefully she will find this test better.

Steve