IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

Finally after 3 attempts at IELTS general and 2 for PTE I have got the necessary score for 20 points. If it was not for this thread, I would not have even thought to give PTE an attempt. So thank you.

ps I would have passed PTE first time, but did not realise the scoring scheme and went over the word count on the written sections.

Finally after 3 attempts at IELTS general and 2 for PTE I have got the necessary score for 20 points. If it was not for this thread, I would not have even thought to give PTE an attempt. So thank you.

ps I would have passed PTE first time, but did not realise the scoring scheme and went over the word count on the written sections.

That's great to hear!

I hoped that it could at least help one other person...as I was sure I can't be the only one feeling like I'm stuck! :)

Guess it's EOI for you next then, good luck with the rest of the process.

I got L:64 R:58 S:48 w:49. Anyone can help how u achieve good scores? I have tried PTE twice and failed to get 65. I felt like a failure. I had even tried IELTS for twice.:cry:

You should seek professional help. We can help with general tips and guidance on the question content, but judging from your scores and brief post, you need more than that.

See if you can find tutors locally that can help you.

If you keep retaking it and do better in some bits (eg reading) but worse in others (eg listening), can you amalgamate the results from old and new tests (picking out the best) and, if not, does the most recent test result cancel out the previous one...?

Thanks.

No and no.

You can submit any full test result of your choosing, as long as it will still be valid at the time you're doing your application (no longer than a year old IIRC)

Edited by supercow

I took the PTE Academic yesterday, received my results this morning. Was not expecting to do very well as I felt awful yesterday, migrane and chest infection.

This may be an odd question but on my score sheet it shows my overall score as 86. It then lists the following: L - 85, R - 90, S - 89, W - 84

There is then a load of other scores underneath (Enabling scores) are these relevant as some of them don't look very good? Or are the scores I have noted above what I have actually scored in each item? I know I sound a bit dim here but just want to make sure I am reading the results correctly.

Thanks

I took the PTE Academic yesterday, received my results this morning. Was not expecting to do very well as I felt awful yesterday, migrane and chest infection.

This may be an odd question but on my score sheet it shows my overall score as 86. It then lists the following: L - 85, R - 90, S - 89, W - 84

There is then a load of other scores underneath (Enabling scores) are these relevant as some of them don't look very good? Or are the scores I have noted above what I have actually scored in each item? I know I sound a bit dim here but just want to make sure I am reading the results correctly.

Thanks

Congratulations, you nailed it ;) !

Don't worry about those other scores, you got what you wanted.

Hi my partner took both tests as well, ielts 3 times and pte twice, he found the pte test more modern but as it was summer all the windows were open and you could her everything going on outside and you could also hear everything the person next to you said which was very off putting, but that was down to the examination centre not the test, he finally passed both tests but the ielts test seems more recognisable, as we were not told of the pte test until he had taken the ielts test twice, also with the ielts test you can score 9 on the reading and the next time you take it you can get 6.5 and vicea versa but al least with the pte test you get your results within 2-3 days , good luck with anyone taking the tests

Hi all,

I am applying Visa 189 and have taken this PTE Test. My question is, who do I send this result to? I have searched for "department" and in Western Australia, it came out with this which is closest to what i think I should be sending:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]The Department of Training and Workforce Development WA - Skilled Migration WA - All Programs[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

or

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Department of Immigration and Border Protection - DIBP - Visa Applications[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I am applying in Western Australia.

I think the second one is the correct one?

THanks.

Edited by Joseph23

We. Used an agent so they did everything for us, but as far as I know you upload everything once you have received your invite, hope this helps

Hi kirstyj,

Did your agent provide you any log in details to trace the visa application? I don't feel like bugging my agent everyday to check the status. :twitcy:

Hi Guyz,

Need your help...

I had given TOEFL iBT L18;R18;W18;S26, this was first time, now I have opted for IELTS academic but not sure bcoz reading seems more tough. If anyone can suggest should I again go in for Toefl. I am planing for 189/190.

Awaiting ur replies .......

Hi mates,

I did the pte practice test not quite long and scored the following- speaking 47, listening 66, writing 70 and reading 51. My real test will come up on 20th of oct. Please, what do you suggest I do to improve on these scores. I need 65 in each. Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Supercow,

after reading your detailed and considerate post, I felt that your English level is completely what I am after.

so I have to ask if you can read some of my essays to help me improve my skills?

Besides, I've taken ielts general training for four times and my speaking parts were all 6.5.

Can you also provide some tips to knock down another 0.5 mark please?

please send me an email at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you would like to.

your help will be highly appreciated.

good night.

Gwen

Edited by MaggieMay24
Email addresses not allowed, please use PM feature.

HI Everyone,

Can you choose which to do then? PTE-A or IELTS?

Yes, and it's not just those two either. There are now 5 different tests that are recognised for Australian Immigration. IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE-A and CAE and they each have different scoring systems.

Competent English (that's the one you qualify for just by having a Pommie passport): IELTS 6 in each of the 4 sections; OET B in each of the 4 sections; TOEFL iBT 12 for listening; 13 for reading; 21 for writing; 18 for speaking; PTE-A 50 in each of the 4 sections; CAE 169 in each of the 4 sections

Proficient English (that's the one that scores you an extra 10 points): IELTS 7 in each of the 4 sections; OET B in each of the 4 sections; TOEFL iBT 24 for listening; 24 for reading; 27 for writing; 23 for speaking; PTE-A 65 in each of the 4 sections; CAE 185 in each of the 4 sections

Superior English (that's the one that scores you an extra 20 points): IELTS 8 in each of the 4 sections; OET A in each of the 4 sections; TOEFL iBT 28 for listening; 29 for reading; 30 for writing; 26 for speaking; PTE-A 79 in each of the 4 sections; CAE 200 in each of the 4 sections

In case you were wondering,

IELTS = International English Language Testing System

OET = Occupational English Test

TOEFL iBT = Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-Based Test

PTE-A = Pearson Test of English - Academic

CAE = Cambridge English: Advanced

Edited by Ken