IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

Thanks, just booked on for a couple weeks (next time I am free), I think I will focus on the speaking practice this time, I am guessing I just did not do what was needed to get the marks. I also finished the whole thing in under 2 hours so I should probably proof read my work a bit more as my spelling score was low, I think I rely on spell checker too much!

Thinking about it a bit more I would have to say so far I prefer the IELTS, but as I know my writing is the weak point I think PTE-A does remove some of the pressure the way it assesses more than one element at once.

Having done so many exams in the IELTS format over my life time (School, College, Degree, Professional Qual) I was completely relaxed here, however sitting an exam on a PC I am not use to! Especially when others are talking around you.

Hi SuperCow, I have few questions please. I'm new with PTE and first of all I need materials for practicing. Where I can find them please? And as I can read from your post you are comparing General IELTS with Academic PTE. Are they on the same level you think? I'm struggling with my writing part in Academic IELTS but I was great with the General IELTS, in both writing and reading. But Academic IELTS and those stupid graphs, charts are bars are killing me. Not to mentioned topics they give for their essays. Can you guide me in my PTE journey? Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi SuperCow, I have few questions please. I'm new with PTE and first of all I need materials for practicing. Where I can find them please? And as I can read from your post you are comparing General IELTS with Academic PTE. Are they on the same level you think? I'm struggling with my writing part in Academic IELTS but I was great with the General IELTS, in both writing and reading. But Academic IELTS and those stupid graphs, charts are bars are killing me. Not to mentioned topics they give for their essays. Can you guide me in my PTE journey? Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi @Dani4

I'm afraid I'm no tutor, so can only give you general guidance. For specifics you will need to seek advice from someone more qualified than I am.

To answer you questions directly, however:

* https://ptepractice.com | The $9.99 package I felt was sufficient for my needs. I suggest starting with that and self-assess whether you think you need more.

* I have not attempted the Academic IELTS, so I'm unable to comment on that. The PTE subject matter is more academic in nature than that of the General IELTS, and you do have graphs and images you'll need to interpret for the PTE exam. If the mere sight of them puts you off, then perhaps PTE is not for you. The key you need to remember is not to panic when you see them and just put into words, what the graph is illustrating. They look much more intimidating than they really are.

Try this free tips from Pearson - pdf

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAAahUKEwj6zNmg3LLHAhVFzRQKHUcMAMI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpearsonpte.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F08%2FPTEA_Test_Tips.pdf&ei=2DDTVfqAKsWaU8eYgJAM&usg=AFQjCNEVWQwC-3nKYprGFVvFDzGycSWxFg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.ZGU

After 3 attempts at IELTS general test and failing by 0.5 each time I have decided to try the PTE test. I am booked in to take it next weekend in London, so fingers crossed. Hopefully will get the results ASAP and not after 2 dreaded weeks of waiting like IELTS. It is always the writing section that lets me down.

When writing the essay section for the PTE exam, is the layout that is needed the same as for IELTS general writing xam questions?

Such as introduction, 2 paragraphs (1 for and 1 against) and then a conclusion?

Thank you

For some strange reason I was more stressed and uptight about passing this exam than any of my ACCA accountancy exams !

Anyway that's the stress over, just a waiting game now

Hi there,

were you in Edinburgh the same day as me?? We waited hours and a wee Japanese girl travelled from London?? :arghh:

Thank you

For some strange reason I was more stressed and uptight about passing this exam than any of my ACCA accountancy exams !

Anyway that's the stress over, just a waiting game now

I have pm'd you! Yes I was there in Edinburgh that day too! I have still to re sit! Wow! Your scores were great. I'd be interested to chat with you about this :hug: And to see what practice you did. I felt so so sorry for that wee girl that day. Was a shame.....

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my Pearson test, I am worried about two things.

1. The mic did not shut off after 3 seconds, so I have wasted a lot of time in the short answer area. Does clicking "next" submit my recording on that specific question? Since I let the recording finished itself, will this affect my score because there were long silences after giving my answers?

2. On the 200-300 words essay, I finished writing the essay and was going through it checking my grammar and structure. However, I did not notice the time was up and the system just brought me to the next part. Was my essay submitted? I finished the essay but did not hit "Next/Submit"

Now I am worried. Any comments on this would be much appreciated.

Just finished my Pearson test, I am worried about two things.

1. The mic did not shut off after 3 seconds, so I have wasted a lot of time in the short answer area. Does clicking "next" submit my recording on that specific question? Since I let the recording finished itself, will this affect my score because there were long silences after giving my answers?

Now I am worried. Any comments on this would be much appreciated.

I've done this twice now, the first time I clicked next on the speaking before the mic stopped recording, overall I got a bad score here but I think this was more to do with how I approached the test than the mic.

On the second attempt I left the recordings to run to the end, like you they did not stop after 3 seconds. I do not think this affected my score as it improved, but I still did not get the needed 79 in speaking! (I got Level 9 in IELTS)

I've done this twice now, the first time I clicked next on the speaking before the mic stopped recording, overall I got a bad score here but I think this was more to do with how I approached the test than the mic.

On the second attempt I left the recordings to run to the end, like you they did not stop after 3 seconds. I do not think this affected my score as it improved, but I still did not get the needed 79 in speaking! (I got Level 9 in IELTS)

Sorry to hear you're still not quite there yet. Don't lose hope!

Out of interest... and I guess it's not an easy one to answer, but do you think that you have a heavy accent?

Reason I ask this, is because it struck me when I did Pearson, that if you have personal interview (IELTS), then the interviewer might have been from the same area / live in the same area, so would completely understand your pronunciation / no meaning lost. With Pearson it's marked by unknown person far away who might not understand you.

It was just yesterday that I was sitting at a London mainline train station, with a bunch of people sat next to me. At first I thought they were speaking a different language, but after a while it struck me that they were actually native English speakers, but I couldn't understand a word of it!

Joseph

Hitting next does keep your answer. Also, don't worry on your essay - it will keep what you have typed....

Good luck...

JC

Exactly this... you have nothing to worry about @Joseph23

Edited by supercow

Sorry to hear you're still not quite there yet. Don't lose hope!

Out of interest... and I guess it's not an easy one to answer, but do you think that you have a heavy accent?

Reason I ask this, is because it struck me when I did Pearson, that if you have personal interview (IELTS), then the interviewer might have been from the same area / live in the same area, so would completely understand your pronunciation / no meaning lost. With Pearson it's marked by unknown person far away who might not understand you.

It was just yesterday that I was sitting at a London mainline train station, with a bunch of people sat next to me. At first I thought they were speaking a different language, but after a while it struck me that they were actually native English speakers, but I couldn't understand a word of it!

I would not say I have a strong accent, I guess it is slightly mancunian but I work down south and also in a global office and noone here has ever mentioned my accent! I think the issue was more down to how I answered the questions, I got a bit flustered on one of the re-tell the lecture and also I know I got one of the simple answers wrong as I paniced a bit and said the wrong thing!

I got 77 and only need 79 on speaking so hopefully I can get the extra 2 marks this weekend!

It's my pleasure, as I said to @Ozmaniac before, if all the money I sunk into IELTS can come to any good and help someone else, I'm more than happy to do it! :)

Don't know if you saw my response in the other thread, did you want me to post you the official PTE-A guide? It has a practise CD rom and audio CD init (I couldnt even use it as none of my fancy laptops actually have DVD drives any more). Just cover my postage, I don't want money for the book.

Supercow, I am planning to give PTE -A this time in order to increase my points. Can you please provide me the book and CD. I will cover the postage. Hope its still available with you :)

Quick question on the short answers, if you answer wrong does that count as a mistake for the speaking? Such as how many sides does a hexagonal shape have, if I rushed and answered 5, but the correct answer is obviously 6, I assume I lose speaking marks? Or does the fact the answer is related and therefore you have understood the question give you a mark?

So I am not sure what happened, I came out the exam yesterday feeling crap as I was tired and struggled to focus in the exam, I messed up on one of the repeat sentences in that I stuttered and forgot the words, I then had to think quickly to say the rest of the sentence. Also on 2 of the short answers I answered too quickly and answered wrong (as per above post), however I then waffled and said the correct word without letting the timer expire, which appears to have worked.

So I finally did it! L90,R90,L90,W86!

Edited by mgreaves