You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

supercow

IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

Thank you for all reply. I’m applying 186 nomination visa. English is not my first language, just wondering can I exemptions English test if I’m holding British Passport-British National Overseas.

I sat both the IElTS and PTE, I would recommend the PTE Academic over IELTS. I'm a native English speaker and didn't get the disired result with IElTS. I needed to achieve a high score, to award me with Superior English. Although PTE was also difficult, it was easier than IElTS to achieve high marks. I watched E2 language support tips on youtube, and sat some mock exams online to prepare. 

PTE is easier than IELTS. I scored good marks in PTE. I checked all the tips and tricks given on youtube. In PTE, you just have to be fluent and confident. Content is not important, fluency is important. In PTE exam, do not leave any question unanswered. Complete your Test in given time. If you do not know the answer then too, speak something. Do not study too hard. Everything is on tricks.

PTE is not an ‘easier’ test than the IELTS it is however a much more professional atmosphere when you’re undertaking the test and more fairly marked (computer based as opposed to a person). I undertook the IELTS three times and each time received 8 or above (usually 9) in reading, listening and speaking but 7.5 each time in writing. Yesterday I undertook the PTE and scored 90 (equivalent of 9 in IELTS). Clearly the IELTS’ subjective marking approach is failing test takers unfairly. What’s also unfair is that IELTS do not give specific feedback as to why your score was below par. 

Overall I would recommend PTE, not because it’s easier or because I received the desired score but because it’s a fairer system.