IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

Hello Supercow,

Thankyou ever so much for sharing your experiences with both IELTS and PTE Academic.

After reading your post I decided PTE Academic was the way to go and booked a test for 23/09/2016.

I received my results yesterday and I am so happy!:notworthy:

ZTAMBONsamAAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

So once again thankyou for a brilliant and informative post:ssign19:

Yeewww, congrats mate... only a pleasure :)

Hi all,

I am a little inpatient so just wondered for others. When we log into the PTE website it says taken- scores reportable, but when we click view score a pop up message says we have to wait for the email to come. Anyone know how long this takes? (On day 6 so very nervous/but wanting to see OH results).

Hi all,

I am a little inpatient so just wondered for others. When we log into the PTE website it says taken- scores reportable, but when we click view score a pop up message says we have to wait for the email to come. Anyone know how long this takes? (On day 6 so very nervous/but wanting to see OH results).

Usually same day when it changes to reportable. Has it said reportable for days ?

Got results bummer OH has to re-do it again. Just missed out on 10 points. However his spelling was only 23 which I am very surprised at as he did A-Level English. Oh well, some more revision then try again.

Took me 4 attempts to hit superior English. hang in there

• 2 weeks later...
I did mine on the 23rd too in Manchester!

I got 90s across the board; got my results this morning 

This thread really helped so thank you xx

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I think I can guess who you are. I got all 90s too, so we had nothing to worry about :)

• 3 weeks later...

So frustrating. Husband re-took his PTE, again failed on speaking even after doing loads of practice, watching youtube videos, reading books etc. He scored 80s in all other sections, how can we get his speaking up :-( He keeps scoring in the 50s when his English born, no idea what to do to bring his speaking score up.

So frustrating. Husband re-took his PTE, again failed on speaking even after doing loads of practice, watching youtube videos, reading books etc. He scored 80s in all other sections, how can we get his speaking up :-( He keeps scoring in the 50s when his English born, no idea what to do to bring his speaking score up.

How's his enunciation / where's he from in the UK?

I ask that, because many English accent sound like the speak is "swallowing their words", for the lack of a better term. Maybe IELTS might be a better option for him, as the speaking is face to face?

How's his enunciation / where's he from in the UK?

I ask that, because many English accent sound like the speak is "swallowing their words", for the lack of a better term. Maybe IELTS might be a better option for him, as the speaking is face to face?

yes that's why I suggested the ielts to, my partner is Scottish and had no problem with the ielts but failed on speaking with the Pearson

yes that's why I suggested the ielts to, my partner is Scottish and had no problem with the ielts but failed on speaking with the Pearson

In England you tend to not hear how strong the various English / Scot / Welsh accents are, but there's a reason why a lot of English movies are subtitled in other English speaking countries :D

Thank you both. His originally from Yorkshire, when I first meet him his accent was strong but it's a lot more tame then it used to be as his lived south east now for 10 years. We have just booked him on ielts to see if he can score better on the speaking face to face instead of PC test. It's frustrating as he scores so well in the other 3 elements on the PTE and it was his second attempt. Fingers crossed for December!

Edited by bell123321

Thank you both. His originally from Yorkshire, when I first meet him his accent was strong but it's a lot more tame then it used to be as his lived south east now for 10 years. We have just booked him on ielts to see if he can score better on the speaking face to face instead of PC test. It's frustrating as he scores so well in the other 3 elements on the PTE and it was his second attempt. Fingers crossed for December!

All the best my partner said it was much better as you are actually taking to a human being

• 2 weeks later...

So my Pearsons test is booked for next Wednesday. I've been doing quite a bit of practice using YouTube videos and webinars. Today I took the practice test which is scored and specific time allocated appropriately, cost £28 (ridculous!) I scored well enough considering some elements I couldn't even understand. I'm not stupid by any means, in my degree I got A's & B's. I'm a native English speaker but God was this test difficult! I dreaded the describe image & retell lecture elements of speaking but managed to get 73!

My my practice scores:

listening 75

writing 72

speaking 73

reading 69 (one whole paragraph I could not understand!)

I had had to write an essay on politics, not my strong point at all! Any tips appreciated on how to bump

up my scores. Does anyone know if the practice tests are harder/marked harder than the real thing?

So my Pearsons test is booked for next Wednesday. I've been doing quite a bit of practice using YouTube videos and webinars. Today I took the practice test which is scored and specific time allocated appropriately, cost £28 (ridculous!) I scored well enough considering some elements I couldn't even understand. I'm not stupid by any means, in my degree I got A's & B's. I'm a native English speaker but God was this test difficult! I dreaded the describe image & retell lecture elements of speaking but managed to get 73!

My my practice scores:

listening 75

writing 72

speaking 73

reading 69 (one whole paragraph I could not understand!)

I had had to write an essay on politics, not my strong point at all! Any tips appreciated on how to bump

up my scores. Does anyone know if the practice tests are harder/marked harder than the real thing?

a little trick I found that worked was making sure you do your best to start the test before anyone else. The speaking test is first so if you get left behind getting setup you will have a load of people talking and you'll find it interrupting to get settled. It also depends on what score you need. If your looking at superior English then you need to keep hammering the practice tests and I agree the describe image is the trickiest.

I took IELTS 2 times. One time I didn't even hit proficient. Took Pearson 2 times. First time was 1 point off superior. Second time I smashed superior so if I can do it anyone can

Thanks bobbie2016 for your advice it really helped. I done my exam yesterday and was called in second to get started, I quickly checked everything was okay and got started before the others. Overall I found the real exam easier than the practice scored test (let's see how my results are though.) I'm not sure if I got the score I need for the 20 points but I'd say I'm not too far off. The speaking is by far the hardest part, I find it very unfair to try and concentrate and read then speak when people are shouting next to you. What about people with dyslexia? I think this part of the exam should be reviewed and perhaps students are put on different parts at different times. There were 10 of us shouting at the same time. Trying to read and understand the graph imagines whilst people are shouting is so tough. A native British guy next to me said last time his score for speaking was 46 he was so angry as the background noise affected him! Let's see what I get... Scores are 'reportable' on my login do let's see. Good luck to anyone doing it soon, if you need any help let me know :chatterbox:

Edited by Dragonflygecko

I was in your exam room yesterday Dragonflygecko! I didn't even think I was close and I was right. I had previously sat ielts and got S9.0, R 9.0, L 8.5 and W 7.5 (needed all 8's or above.)

For PTE I got W 90, L 90 R77 (missed by one spelling!) and S60. When you look at the break down I got more than 79 on all speaking areas except pronunciation. I have no accent at all. I get accused of being 'posh' all the time by my friends who have more of an obvious accent. I didn't find the speaking easy, or rather I found the describing the image impossible, but I got marks for fluency and vocabulary. But clearly not even close for pronunciation.

I can't afford to take the exam again so the dream is currently on hold :(

The only reason I was re-taking the exam is I can't find someone from my old job to write a reference toprove I have the 3 years post qualification work experience. If I had that I would have my points and not need to do this dam test.

Edited by TravellingKatherine

So sorry to hear about your scores. We are in exactly the same situation. Husband smashes all parts apart from speaking where his scoring between 40-60. We have taken the text several times and his struggling on describe the graph. His arguement is it's not his speaking being marked but his analytical skills. We have booked him in flr

december to take ielts, though if he doesn't score high enough I'm not sure what else to do as we can't keep taking this test over and over again. Though we need the extra points. Becoming stressful now. Good luck for the future.

I was in your exam room yesterday Dragonflygecko! I didn't even think I was close and I was right. I had previously sat ielts and got S9.0, R 9.0, L 8.5 and W 7.5 (needed all 8's or above.)

For PTE I got W 90, L 90 R77 (missed by one spelling!) and S60. When you look at the break down I got more than 79 on all speaking areas except pronunciation. I have no accent at all. I get accused of being 'posh' all the time by my friends who have more of an obvious accent. I didn't find the speaking easy, or rather I found the describing the image impossible, but I got marks for fluency and vocabulary. But clearly not even close for pronunciation.

I can't afford to take the exam again so the dream is currently on hold :(

The only reason I was re-taking the exam is I can't find someone from my old job to write a reference toprove I have the 3 years post qualification work experience. If I had that I would have my points and not need to do this dam test.

Really were you in same room as me? I found the speaking a nightmare with everyone else speaking loud. How annoying for you, S60 wtf? Can you ask for a remark? Or maybe it was something to do with the microphone? I need 79 in all areas and I got W84 S82 R80 L78 (so pissed off! 1 mark off what I need... I thought you had to have 3 years post qualifying experience no matter what? What's your occupation?

Bell- sorry to hear your husbands having a rough time with the scoring and in particular the describe image- let me reassure you it's not about how you analyse it. You just need to point out the obvious trends name of graph and keep talking for the whole 40 seconds to get full marks for fluency.

Tbh it's all a money making exercise! :arghh:

I'm going to calm myself down before rebooking & hope I don't fail on something else next time! Ugh. Shouldn't you just need to resist one part... Joke!

Really were you in same room as me? I found the speaking a nightmare with everyone else speaking loud. How annoying for you, S60 wtf? Can you ask for a remark? Or maybe it was something to do with the microphone? I need 79 in all areas and I got W84 S82 R80 L78 (so pissed off! 1 mark off what I need... I thought you had to have 3 years post qualifying experience no matter what? What's your occupation?

Bell- sorry to hear your husbands having a rough time with the scoring and in particular the describe image- let me reassure you it's not about how you analyse it. You just need to point out the obvious trends name of graph and keep talking for the whole 40 seconds to get full marks for fluency.

Tbh it's all a money making exercise! :arghh:

I'm going to calm myself down before rebooking & hope I don't fail on something else next time! Ugh. Shouldn't you just need to resist one part... Joke!

Microphone was okay, so I am clearly not understanding what they want. They gave me 85 points for my fluency and 82 for vocab despite me fumbling along in describing the graphs. But they only gave me 55 for pronunciation. So I failed big style. Didn't find the noise too bad. But I was first one in and first one to finish so I guess I had a head start perhaps.

If I could get a reference written and assessed by my skills authority (I'm a nurse) I wouldn't need the extra points from the English test. I got enough in my Ielts to pass my skills assessment. However I need five more points to get to my 60. So I either have to find to resit the English or find an old senior colleague to write the reference, providing I have the 3 years post registration experience. Something I have so far failed at and therefore can't claim the points for that section. I would assume if you could get the points without 3 years work experience then you don't need it.

I can't afford to take the test again, so I'm currently stuck.

Edited by TravellingKatherine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Reading through the thread, I thought I will share my experience as well. I am in India and gave the PTE last week. I was pleasantly surprised to score 90 in all sections in my first attempt!

Why surprised? I was sure my mic would have picked up noise from the adjacent test takers - the seats were too close! But seeing the scores, my guess is that may be the software is intelligently designed and only picks up 'relevant' sounds - as all the test-takers were answering different questions (at least while speaking). The main problem was concentration, given the noise.

My tip for describe image: structure the first sentence like this and NEVER fumble: "The line-chart/pie-chart/bar-graph illustrates [chart title] from the period/through the period/for [x-axis]". Then point one or two extremes in the graph: "The sales were highest in 2006 and lowest in 2009", and conclude, if possible with a trend analysis: "Overall, there is a downward trend in sales in the last five years".

I am an MBA and my job is to look at charts and sound smart :cute: