IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

Hi all,

I had PTE test on 28-07-2016 but so far the scores are not published.

It's almost a week and I am worried. :arghh:

The status shows as "taken- scores are not reportable"

Any one in this forum had such experience?

Thanks

the first time I took it I waited bang on 5 business days. The second time I waited 15 business days. But I scored the 20 points so it was worth it in the end. Hand on in there

Hi all,

Just got my scores.

Listening : 80

Reading :- 84

Speaking :- 64

Writing :- 86

Totally lost. I don't know how to improve my speaking as the test was really easy and I think I didn't miss much questions on the speaking part. Enabling scores for pronunciation and oral fluency were 64 and 70 respectively. This is was my second attempt. I got 63 for speaking last time. Is there any way to improve my pronunciation and oral fluency. Any valuable tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by vasanthkurup

Hi all,

Just got my scores.

Totally lost. I don't know how to improve my speaking as the test was really easy and I think I didn't miss much questions on the speaking part. Enabling scores for pronunciation and oral fluency were 64 and 70 respectively. This is was my second attempt. I got 63 for speaking last time. Is there any way to improve my pronunciation and oral fluency. Any valuable tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks

We attended a presentation from the guys who run the Pearson tests, they said they don't mark people down based on their accents unless it's hard to actually understand the person. It seems you are being marked down mostly due your pronunciation, so you maybe should look at some elocution lessons to try to fix that.

For those people requesting free reference materials/books, I totally understand, it's nice when stuff is free, but if your future in Australia is dependant on your English skills, you might want to invest some money in it.

We regularly advise clients, if you have a path, grab it, before someone else does, or something else changes, and you find you don't have a path any more. It's your future that's at stake...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Just got my scores.

Thanks

I am here with you about that. I have taken the PTE test twice, and have got a very similar score. Between the first and second attempts, I have spent three months or four on preparing and fixing my weaknesses, mostly on speaking part. My oral fluency did boost, but the speaking score didn't go up at all. On speaking session, I previously achieved 6.5 in IELTS, and now only deserve 40 in PTE-A. I am completely lost.

I was thinking that probably I could gain 4 7s through IELTS test if I were taking the same preparation time (three or four months) on it.

Any thoughts, please?

Edited by Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I did my PTE test yesterday in London, overall score was 89.

Listening 90

reading 82

speaking 82

writing 90

I have read up that should be superior English for visa application, is that right?

just slightly concerned as on the enabling skills, there was one 76?.

Do they count the enabling scores?

Hi I did my PTE test yesterday in London, overall score was 89.

Listening 90

reading 82

speaking 82

writing 90

I have read up that should be superior English for visa application, is that right?

just slightly concerned as on the enabling skills, there was one 76?.

Do they count the enabling scores?

Congrats, you nailed it :)

Nicely done! Congrats! :)

Thank you.

I must say what a fab thread this is. I read every post and followed all the tips. Practice is key to the PTE so when you get to the test there are no surprises.

I followed the 1:3:1 format for the essay, kept me focused on three key points.

A big thank you to all that have posted advice.

submitted EOI, now must wait x

How does the 1-3-1 format go?

I have had a few guesses, and tried a few searches, and I'm probably not far off, but the exact specifics would be lovely if you could repost for me chick?

Hi PTE revision guide stated: 1:3:1 paragraphs, made up of:

1st paragraph

Intro and formulate argument with three points.

2nd/3rd/4th paragraph

unpick each point individually.

5th paragraph

conclude the argument.

keep it simple, as the clock is ticking.

my essay was around the issue of global warming, who is responsible, government, large companies or individuals?

I formulated a thesis, a point of view that argued that all three had a responsibility at varying levels.

hope that helps.

Hi PTE revision guide stated: 1:3:1 paragraphs, made up of:

1st paragraph

Intro and formulate argument with three points.

2nd/3rd/4th paragraph

unpick each point individually.

5th paragraph

conclude the argument.

keep it simple, as the clock is ticking.

my essay was around the issue of global warming, who is responsible, government, large companies or individuals?

I formulated a thesis, a point of view that argued that all three had a responsibility at varying levels.

hope that helps.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey sorry if this question has been asked before I think I know the answer but want to confirm. My husband did his PTE Academic today. To get 20 points for immigration does he need to score over 79 in each four areas or has the overall result got to be over 79.

Thank you!

For points, the score has to be in each of the 4 components.

Hi guys, I just received my scores.

Communicative Skills:

Listening - 90

Reading - 83

Speaking - 90

Writing - 90

Enabling Skills:

Grammar - 90

Oral Fluency - 90

Pronunciation - 90

Spelling - 90

Vocabulary - 77

Written Discourse - 90

If you need help,

I'm currently in Delhi.

Hi, could you send me PTE preparation stuff

Waiting for your swift response

Thanks

Hello Supercow,

Thankyou ever so much for sharing your experiences with both IELTS and PTE Academic.

After reading your post I decided PTE Academic was the way to go and booked a test for 23/09/2016.

I received my results yesterday and I am so happy!:notworthy:

ZTAMBONsamAAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

So once again thankyou for a brilliant and informative post:ssign19:

Guest The Pom Queen
Hello Supercow,

Thankyou ever so much for sharing your experiences with both IELTS and PTE Academic.

After reading your post I decided PTE Academic was the way to go and booked a test for 23/09/2016.

Sounds like you did well, congratulations IanJ

Hello Supercow,

congratulations! Very pleased for you. OH did his on the 20th but still waiting for his results still nervously waiting.