Should we go for state sponsorship?

Guest Lou76

Hi all, I am about to start doing the paperwork for our visa application and I'm getting a bit confused. We're planning on applying for a skilled independent visa using my skills (I'm an accountant and have already had my skills assessed) and have enough points to do so (as hubby's occupation & age also go in our favour). However I've been reading about state sponsorship, and was wondering if we should go for this first before submitting our application? Or will it not really matter given we seem to be OK points-wise? Any advice greatefully received. Cheers!

Guest Missiemo
Hi all, I am about to start doing the paperwork for our visa application and I'm getting a bit confused. We're planning on applying for a skilled independent visa using my skills (I'm an accountant and have already had my skills assessed) and have enough points to do so (as hubby's occupation & age also go in our favour). However I've been reading about state sponsorship, and was wondering if we should go for this first before submitting our application? Or will it not really matter given we seem to be OK points-wise? Any advice greatefully received. Cheers!

Hi Lou

I guess if you have enough points to do it without state sponsorship then go for it, having state sponsorship just means you have to live in that state for two years.

Good Luck with your decision

Mo

Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi Lou

Depends how quick you want to get there! General Skilled Migration currently takes about 12months to process whereas State/Territory Nominated Independent is priority processed and usually take about 6/7 months. Mo is right also, you will have to work and live in that state for two years. You would need to check if your preferred state needs your skills as the list can differ from the MODL. Hope this helps, good luck with whatever you decide :)

P.S. If you go down STNI route, you can do it online initially!

As an Accountant your occupation is on the MODL, which means your visa application should be processed by the Department of Immigration as a priority application.

Unless there are concerns about meeting the points pass mark, or your recent work experience, I'd be looking at the 136 visa (Skilled - Independent) rather than the 137 (Skilled - State/Territory Nominated Independent).

In any event, both 136 and 137 visa subclasses are handled under visa class BN. When you apply for a visa you technically do so under a particular visa class, so if there were a problem with a 136 application after it had been submitted (eg in attaining the points pass mark because of concerns over Specific Work Experience) you could move to a 137 by subsequently obtaining a State Nomination.

Hope this helps.

Guys, thank you very much for your help. It's all been very confusing but I think we're about there now in terms of which application, forms, supporting documentation we need etc etc etc!! Hopefully the application will be going off to Adelaide by the end of this week (for the 136) - I will keep you all posted! It's very exciting and nerv-wracking and yet still months to go...

hi all, we got told this week that we can go ahead for goverment sponsorship for tasmania if we decide to go there, but we r unsure if we want taz or adelaide. my hubb has an interview tomorrow for a firm tac solutions so we will wait and see the outcome from that, but even still, which ever we go, its all so confusing, will hubb still have to get his skills assessed if he goes for state sponsorship? im in a dizzy over it all, i just want to get over there now....oh btw he is a electrical engineer.... :wink:

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Lou

I assume that the sponsorship is for State/Territory Nomination Scheme Visa which gives more points for the points test. You guys may not need these given your occupations.

If your husband is going for state Nomination with Tasmania then he will need a skills assessment.

With the employer, it depends on the type of route they may/will offer. If it is a temporary 457 visa, then it is almost definite that a skills assessment will not be required and background and skills will need to be proven in other ways. If it is a permanent visa (Employer Nomination Scheme ("ENS")) then a skills assessment probably will be required if he applies directly from overseas for an ENS unless:

have been nominated to fill a highly paid senior executive position with a salary of more than $165,000 per annum (excluding superannuation or allowances)

You and your hubb have lots of choices being on the MODL as an accountant and your hubb as an engineer.

Are you in a rush to get here? (I know everyone wants to move asap, but when realistically do you want to move?).

Adelaide ot Tazzie - depends on what you want when you get to Australia. Adelaide/SA is a lot warmer etc but Taz is really beautiful and more temerate. Socially, not sure these days.

Regards

Guest Phil Olsen

Sorry guys got my pants in a twist in who I was replying to there, but the comments still apply.

Electrical Engineers are on MODL so the comments do apply.

Sorry Lou and lainey about mixing up names

Lainey, if you want me to give a free assessment, then please feel free to email me

Thanks

Phil

Archived