Only know one Australian citizen who can fill out form 888!

UncleWally

Hi all, We are new to the site so go easy on me.

We are currently gathering evidence to prove my continuing ongoing relationship for visa 461. We have registered our relationship and have the cert, have written our story, have all the documents to prove the commitments to each other, joint bank, bills etc. the only part we are struggling with is that we only have one person (Australian Citizen) that fits the bill to complete form 888 and has kindly done so. All our other friends are either UK or Kiwi citizens.

So my question is What are our options for declarations to help with our application?

Thanks guys

Will & Denise

If between the two of you, you only know one Australia PR/Citizen (note that you can get Australian PR to complete them, not just citizens) then obtain statements from the UK or NZ citizens that you know. The more statements the better really. The statements won't be considered stat decs but better to provide them than to only supply 1 stat dec.

Not sure where you are at the moment (in or outside Australia) but this is taken from the IMMI website:

"..are unable to get an Australian citizen or Australian permanent residentto complete a statutory declaration in support of your relationship with your partner, you may obtainstatements from people who know you and your sponsor. Such statements are not statutory declarationsunder Australian law. However, in accordance with policy, they should be witnessed or certified accordingto the legal practices of the relevant country. Failing that, they should be witnessed by a personwhose occupation or qualification is comparable to a person included in the prescribed persons list onpages 29–30. This person should sign, date and specify their occupation or qualification at the bottom ofthe statement."

Thank you for your reply Engaus, I am currently in Australia. I had seen the segment on the website that you quoted and the only reason it threw me off was the "if you are outside of Australia". But surely this can't be that uncommon? And you would expect that what you have quoted would be in relation to my scenario?

Thank you for your reply Engaus, I am currently in Australia. I had seen the segment on the website that you quoted and the only reason it threw me off was the "if you are outside of Australia". But surely this can't be that uncommon? And you would expect that what you have quoted would be in relation to my scenario?

You don't really have a choice if you don't know a single other person with PR or who is a citizen haha. So supply your 1 stat dec and then get as many other statements completed and witnessed as possible by other family members and friends. The statements form part of the social evidence of your relationship so to compensate for only having 1 stat dec just provide further social evidence e.g the additional statements, flight tickets, proof of holidays/weekends away together, wedding/engagement/birthday invites, pictures of you with family and friends. This is what we did when we applied for a partner visa.

Edited by engaus

Surely if you are living in Australia you know ore than one person with PR or citizenship? They don't have to be citizens, just permanent residency will do.

You HAVE to have two Aussie PRs/Citizens fill out 888s if you're onshore. It's only optional when applying offshore.

How is it you both live in Australia, are a couple, and only know one person who is aware of your relationship? That seems VERY unusual and unlikely. You don't have any other mutual friends who are Australian? You haven't had your partner visit you at your work and have a coworker who could attest to that? Nothing? Surely there has to be someone else. Tehy don't have to know everything about you - just be able to testify that you're a couple.

You HAVE to have two Aussie PRs/Citizens fill out 888s if you're onshore. It's only optional when applying offshore.

How is it you both live in Australia, are a couple, and only know one person who is aware of your relationship? That seems VERY unusual and unlikely. You don't have any other mutual friends who are Australian? You haven't had your partner visit you at your work and have a coworker who could attest to that? Nothing? Surely there has to be someone else. Tehy don't have to know everything about you - just be able to testify that you're a couple.

And they don't even have to be Australian, even permanent residents will do! Like you, i think its very unusual and unlikey to only know temp residents, even has a backpacker you end up working with Australian residents who could vouch for a relationship after meeting you a few times.