Surprise visits of the DIBP to 189 visa holders with dependent spouses?

goliveira

Has anyone who immigrated to Australia with a 189 visa and a dependent spouse ever received a surprise visit of the DIBP to check whether the marriage (or de facto relationship) was not just a "convenience relationship"?

Does anybody know whether they really do this kind of thing?

There was one person on here once who was in Australia on a temp visa, and applying for PR. Their marriage had broken up and they were living at different addresses. Immigration turned up saying they didn't believe they were living as husband and wife and that both of their visas were likely to be cancelled. Unfortunately they never came back to tell us how it went.

For immigration to come check you would imagine someone must have reported them, but who knows. Maybe rental contracts in another name, or bills?

We have seen a few surprise visits from IMMI for people going from an 820/309 (temporary) to an 801 (permanent) on another forum I frequent that's more focused on partner visas. Otherwise the visits have happened before any visa (temp or permanent) has been granted.

If you are granted an 189 you obtain that visa in your own right as far as I am aware, so even if you are no longer together soon after you arrive the visa cannot be taken away from you - unless IMMI are informed and given (or they find) evidence of you obtaining your visa fraudulently e.g by pretending to be in a relationship with someone just to get a visa

I never understand why people worry about this enough to post asking about it. If you're a real couple, why WOULD you be worried about it? Immi isn't there to inspect the cleanliness of your house or how healthy the food in your fridge is - they're there to see if you're really living together as a couple, and if you're legit, you'd have nothing to worry about if they dropped by. My husband and I would welcome the chance to show them around, show them where we sleep, etc. as it would just be more great evidence to show them we're a real, married, very-much-in-love married couple. I always wonder (perhaps unfairly!) if people who post this question are worried because they're hiding something.

Edited by CollegeGirl

• 2 weeks later...
I never understand why people worry about this enough to post asking about it. If you're a real couple, why WOULD you be worried about it? Immi isn't there to inspect the cleanliness of your house or how healthy the food in your fridge is - they're there to see if you're really living together as a couple, and if you're legit, you'd have nothing to worry about if they dropped by. My husband and I would welcome the chance to show them around, show them where we sleep, etc. as it would just be more great evidence to show them we're a real, married, very-much-in-love married couple. I always wonder (perhaps unfairly!) if people who post this question are worried because they're hiding something.

I was worried because it is likely that my spouse and I will have to fly to Australia separately. If surprise visits were common, I would be worried to have the Immi knocking on my door while my spouse is overseas.

Hi....

it happens that immigration do surprise check but on report cases. (I guess). Otherwise immigration visit to my workplace they just inform employer first. And than come to see whether it's all going according to provided plan or not.

thanks.

I don't know.

You don't want the immigration dept turing up and accusiing you of a false relationship and cancelling your visa.

The people that are hiding something generally know all the tricks already and don't need to ask these sorts of questions.

I was worried because it is likely that my spouse and I will have to fly to Australia separately. If surprise visits were common, I would be worried to have the Immi knocking on my door while my spouse is overseas.

No need for immi to come knocking for this. If you apply for the 189, immi will have the passport details for each of you. At the push of a button or two it will tell them if one of you is onshore and the other offshore. They will have the movement records in and out of Australia of each of you. However, as others have said, the genuineness of the relationship checks are done before visa grant so unless there is reason after grant to suspect that the visas were obtained by fraud or materially incorrect information, one would not expect a visit from immi after grant.

Edited by Killara

Hi....

it happens that immigration do surprise check but on report cases. (I guess). Otherwise immigration visit to my workplace they just inform employer first. And than come to see whether it's all going according to provided plan or not.

thanks.

They turn up to work places unannounced too.