Is anyone familiar with the Cheltenham/Glouscester/Stroud area? (Cotswolds)

Emma2

We're moving back to the Uk at the end of 2015 and are just trying to decide on areas. We moved out to the Gold Coast four years ago from Devon but would like to move to a different area when we go back. Devon is beautiful but a little bit quiet so we are thinking about moving a bit nearer to Bath and London. We narrowed it down to the Cheltenham/Gloucester area we think but are flexible. We would just like to be within an hour isn of Bristol and two hours (by train) from London.

Would really appreciate any feedback from those who know the areas and any recommends.

Thanks,

Emma

When I was at Uni I lived in Gloucester. I would not live there to be honest, it was abit rough round the edges (although this was about 10 years ago and I was a poor student, so my opinion might be outdated!) The docks area was nice. The shopping was pretty ordinary. Nightlife average as targeted towards students.

Cheltenham on the other hand is much better. Defenately the best out of the two. Just has a much nicer feel about it. Better shopping, a bit classier in terms of night life and eating out. (Would be more expensive than Gloucester though!)

Stroud is also lovely, it is samller that Cheltenham and not as much going on, but has more of a community feel.

Thanks for your input. I think maybe I'll aim more towards the Cheltenham area rather than Gloucester as this is what I've been hearing in general that Cheltenham is gorgeous, Gloucester docks are lovely but the rest of the city is not so hot! There's a really good school in Cheltenham that I'd like to try and get my son into so that would be perfect. I think really it's better to have a smaller house in a nicer area than a big house in a place that you don't really want to be.

Its great thinking about our new adventure, never thought I'd be so excited about moving back to the UK!

Thanks again Harpodom and H283 :)