Visiting Canberra for a couple of nights what area is best to stay in?

chrislnd

Hi all,

im coming over in May to activate my visa and we will be visiting Canberra for 2 nights, I know it's short but I wanted to know what's the best area to stay in so we can get a feel for the city and have a few amenities walking distance from our hotel, also any hotel and places to visit would be a great help!.

many thanks

Chris

Hi all,

I'm coming over in May to activate my visa and we will be visiting Canberra for 2 nights, I know it's short but I wanted to know what's the best area to stay in so we can get a feel for the city and have a few amenities walking distance from our hotel, also any hotel and places to visit would be a great help!.

many thanks

Chris

Yep - Northborne Avenue has the full range of business and budget motels from Formula 1 on Anthill St as you first come into Canberra (from Sydney) down to some very upmarket ones on London Circuit. Ibis, Novotel, QT, Quality Hotels etc. are all there together with the YHA, backpackers and self-catering apartments are all there.

Things to see and do; around the centre of town (i.e. either side of the lake) are all the 'national' museums, the parliamentary triangle, the old and new parliament buildings and the main shopping centre but it's all very functional (really easy to get around and use) so you'd probably take a way a poor view of the town if that was all you saw.

Try and get a taxi to the shops/cafe's at Manuka or to the new Kingston Foreshore development, it's still under construction but gives an idea of where the city is heading. If it's a Sunday you could also peruse the bus depot market behind the Foreshore and grab a burger at Brodt's (ask anyone for directions). The heart of Canberra is not in the centre but buried away in the suburbs or the local countryside.