money worries

Garreth Peat

Hi Garrath,

I'm looking for some help finishing off a house renovation and am offering free Accom, meals and wifi in exchange for a half days work(kind of like woofing without the farm). I've copied and pasted a add I put on couchsurfers today. I noticed the dates I'm looking for help would sink up nicely with your arrival(brisbane and Gold Coast is a 1hour local train ride apart). Send me a email to liquid_launch@hotmail.com if you or anyone else is interested.

"I'm looking for help with my home renovation, I've got 3 empty freshly painted and carpeted rooms to offer. I need help with painting, gardening, paving and odd jobs to finish off the house.It's located about 3km from Helensvale Rail station/Westfield shopping. There's sporadic buses to the door but we usually walk or drive to the train station.

Usual deal - half day(4 hours) work in exchange 3 meals and accommodation. Available from 6th May, Couples, Singles and respectful small groups welcome."

• 4 weeks later...
£7000 English

Just under $14,000 - wow that is a lot of money for a years WHV surely!?

$1000 a month spending money with a little left over; is good by any standards. Plus of course add whatever you earn to top it up.

But if you can, have some money at home, that can be wired out to you in an emergency.

From what I have read you can have less than the amount providing you can support yourself by either a job or if you do get checked you can say your parents will help you with funds or friends etc. I am going with $3000 which is £1500 and my bf will be taking the same. I wouldn't worry too much about money as jobs are easy to pick up especially farming or bar work! :)

You will need an aussie bar certificate for bar work.Here's a link for it.....

http://www.taw.com.au/Training/RSARCG.aspx

I'm going to do the RSA and probably the barista one but I don't have experience in either, well actually in the cafe I work in one day a week through my job we make coffees, lattes etc with the machine but I don't think it's the same as the barista type stuff. That always looks more complicated on tv lol