Dogs and Chocolate

Guest The Pom Queen

Gosh I am surprised that baking chocolate is worse than the dark stuff - not that we ever buy 'baking chocolate'! Not that our dog gets anywhere near our stash either!!

I know onions are bad for dogs - and garlic, although a dog walking friend I used to have used to swear that a bit of garlic powder on her dogs food kept it free of fleas, but heard the other day that potatoes also can be bad for them.

PS I guess the same applies to cats? We used to have a cat in the UK who lived to 17 who was addicted to chocolate - she used to visit the neighbour's kids and let them dress her up in dolls clothes and push her around in a pram in exchange for chocolate cake, and I even used to put her pills in a bit of chocolate to get her to eat them whenever she needed worming and stuff. Perhaps she'd have lived to 18 if we hadn't though...

Edited by Diane

Gosh I am surprised that baking chocolate is worse than the dark stuff - not that we ever buy 'baking chocolate'! Not that our dog gets anywhere near our stash either!!

I know onions are bad for dogs - and garlic, although a dog walking friend I used to have used to swear that a bit of garlic powder on her dogs food kept it free of fleas, but heard the other day that potatoes also can be bad for them.

PS I guess the same applies to cats? We used to have a cat in the UK who lived to 17 who was addicted to chocolate - she used to visit the neighbour's kids and let them dress her up in dolls clothes and push her around in a pram in exchange for chocolate cake, and I even used to put her pills in a bit of chocolate to get her to eat them whenever she needed worming and stuff. Perhaps she'd have lived to 18 if we hadn't though...

:laugh:

I didn't know onions and garlic were bad for dogs! Not that it matters as I don't have a dog and it's not something I've ever thought of giving to my daughters dog!

:laugh:

I didn't know onions and garlic were bad for dogs! Not that it matters as I don't have a dog and it's not something I've ever thought of giving to my daughters dog!

Jees no I wouldn't give my dog onions! He'd definitely be an outdoor dog then :laugh:

Saw a segment on a show last week re dogs and choc.Apparently our choc is made from the cocoa bean,which are toxic to dogs.When you buy the special "dog choc treats"they are only flavoured with the pods of the cocoa bean,not the actual bean itself.The pods are not toxic to dogs obviously!:cute:

• 2 months later...