AnxiousMum

Teaching Assistant Qualifications In Oz

Hi,

Does anyone know what recognised qualifications you need to work as a Teaching Assistant in Melbourne. I am currently looking into doing a home study course in Teaching Assistant and just wanted to check whether they have same qualifications over there. Or would they not recognise a diploma? Any help greatly appreciated before I spend money on this course.:mask:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Quote from Ferris Bueller.

I'll have a chat with the TAs at work over the next day or so. I'll try and get back to you with some info!

Felicity:wubclub:

Felicity + Michael - We're 'Pozzies' - Happy and Lovin' it!

Melbourne since September 07

Hi Felicity

Do you work in a school? Im a school secretary, wonder if you could let me know do I need any qualifications for a similar job in oz. Mine is al on the job experience.

Would appreciate your help.

27.01.08 Made decision to move to oz, 10.04.08 Appointed Agent, 27.11.08 ACS application sent, 28.02.09 Passed ACS, 11.03.09 Visa applied for - 175/CSL-IT, 27.08.09 Case Officer, 25.09.09 - VISA APPROVED, YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yes - I'm a primary school teacher working in Frankston!

I'll have a chat with our secretary too! Don't think she had any formal qualifications when she took on the job, she'd been in retail management before she joined the school.

Felicity:cute:

Hi Felicity

Thanks for getting back so quick, I would be grateful if you could ask her about qualifications.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Have a nice day.

27.01.08 Made decision to move to oz, 10.04.08 Appointed Agent, 27.11.08 ACS application sent, 28.02.09 Passed ACS, 11.03.09 Visa applied for - 175/CSL-IT, 27.08.09 Case Officer, 25.09.09 - VISA APPROVED, YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Check out the Dimensions of Work link on this page. It looks as if there are no mandatory qualifications (and there arent in our jurisdiction) but that is not to say that a certIII or similar would not enhance your cv if you were to apply for a position.

Thanks for all your help, I think I will go for the course

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Quote from Ferris Bueller.

Thanks for all your help, I think I will go for the course

I would go for it! There are two different types of support staff in classrooms. One is an integration aide - a bit like a learning support assistant. These guys do have to have qualifications as they are the people that support the staff with the special ed kids. Teaching Assistants are what the label says, they assist teachers with small group work, reading groups and other jobs that teachers 'shouldn't be doing' such as photocopying. If I find any more info, I will let you know.

Guest adamsfamily
I would go for it! There are two different types of support staff in classrooms. One is an integration aide - a bit like a learning support assistant. These guys do have to have qualifications as they are the people that support the staff with the special ed kids. Teaching Assistants are what the label says, they assist teachers with small group work, reading groups and other jobs that teachers 'shouldn't be doing' such as photocopying. If I find any more info, I will let you know.

hiya, wonder if you might be able to answer something for me too please? I just completed a Teaching Asst Course which is equivalent to an NVQ 2. Is that a recognised qualification in Oz or not? I am hoping to get around 6 months job experience behind me also before I get to Oz, therefore wondering if I might then be in a position (with reference and qualification) to apply for a job as soon as poss.? Or would i haver to go back to college and do anothe course first do you think? thankyou, Nikki.

Hi Felicity

Sorry to bother you but did you get a chance to speak to your school secretary and whether or not I would need qualifications to fill a post similar in oz.

When I leave my current job to move over to oz, I will get a reference off my headteacher, which hopefully will go a long way to helping me to gain a similar position.

Thanks for your help.

Guest Natasha123

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm currently working in a primary school as a teaching assistant level 2 (lSA) I am qualified as a Level 3, I completed the Cache Diploma in Childcare and Education and have been working full time for the last year in a reception class with foundation phase, is this a recognized qualification in Australia as am I considering either working in Australia maybe even emigrating if anyone could help it would be much appriciated.

Many thanks Natasha.