Funds

Guest51810

Ask yourself this question Stacey (don't put the answer on the forum so that you can be completely honest with yourself). Are you primarily looking for reasons to make the trip or reasons not to (or to delay it)? The answer to that question will tell you whether or not your heart is truly in it.

By the way I met my OH when she was 39 and I was 42 (12 years ago). She back-packed around Asia and Australia alone when in her 20s. She is quite a shy, cautious person - I have never understood how she did this given the type of person she is. I get the impression that she loved it all and had experiences that will stay with her for life I am sure.

No I definitely want to go. I'm not ready to settle down the now and get a house etc. I think about it but I think I'd just regret it and want to see more of the world. Most of my friends have kids, houses etc and haven't been outside Europe. There's nothing wrong with that but it's not for me yet. I've wanted to go to Australia for such a long time so I'd be really sad if I didn't end up going. I don't think I want to move there permanently but I'd like to go do the backpacker experience. It's just the money situation and family health stuff that's making it harder for me. Last year I thought everything would be sorted for September. The job Is a factor too since I've finally found something I like but if I left on good terms then I'm 99% sure they would take me back. I'll put the lottery on this weekend, maybe I'll win lol :laugh:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got a job now and it sounds like you are enjoying it

To me it would be crazy to give that up now

Put Australia off now and get on with life and see how you go for the future

Let your Mum book her holiday

Australia aint going anywhere

I'm not stopping my mum booking her holiday! That's not the only reason she's thinking of not going. You're maybe right about the job but I think if I don't go within the next year I'm not likely to go at all, not backpacking anyway. Maybe a 3 or 4 week holiday

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? When did you get your visa & where are you thinking of going in Aus? I have wanted to go since I was at school, I am now 25 and still haven't gone... I am now more determined than ever to do it. Don't overthink everything and go for it! In hindsight I do wish I went straight from college.

Hey,

I'll be 25 this year. I've wanted to go for years now. First it was emigrating with my ex but we couldn't get a visa and then a while after that we split up. I planned to go after that but it never worked out financially. I was always in and out of temporary jobs. This is the first time in ages I've had a permanent job that I can save up with. I wish I'd went ages ago but I didn't have the money back then either

Aslong as you have £2.5k in cash arounf $5k AUD that's after flights, visa and the first week accommodation you should be fine. Honestly, just do it! It may be now or never... Who knows what the future holds :)

I have decided to go on a WHV now. I realised how silly it was to save and go travelling to then go back out and work. I am hoping I can work in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. 3 months in each. I am also seriously considering spending my final 3 months on a farm to get my 2nd year Visa.

• 2 weeks later...

how much money are you supposed to take with a WHV? would I be let over with £3000. whats the best amount to go over with if you are also going to be working out there part time? like 3 months each job as I also want to travel.

Hi Abbie,

£3000 should be enough as its over the $5000 limit they ask you to bring. I'm not sure how much money you should take as I have not done a WHV yet but I'm flying two weeks today and have about £5000-£6000 but thats with no return ticket, however alot of people go with £2000-£4000 and are fine.

Tom

• 1 month later...

If you do have the minimum funds in time for September why not try and apply for some jobs from home before going? I Know its not always as easy as that but when I went to NZ I had lined up 4 interviews before I had landed. I emailed recruitment agencies mostly, but if its close to the date you could look on various sites and just apply anyway saying you arrive in September and if you did get some positive responses may make you more confident going over with just the minimum amount?

A lot of people seem to go with 3k, you should probably be fine if you're careful. It's up to you wether you want to go with more so you're less likely to run out but you wouldn't be the only one who has went with 3k

Scary talking about funds - if our house doesn't sell we will be going will about £4k for 2 adults and 2 children! (Have flights booked and probably a months accomodation) Now thats scary - if emergency flights home needed then that would have to go on credit card haha :-/

If you want to do it you will find a way :-)

Scary talking about funds - if our house doesn't sell we will be going will about £4k for 2 adults and 2 children! (Have flights booked and probably a months accomodation) Now thats scary - if emergency flights home needed then that would have to go on credit card haha :-/

If you want to do it you will find a way :-)

Jesus.. That makes me feel better. I'll have about £7k just for a small suitcase and my self.