Funds

Guest51810

Hey!

When I go I am looking at around £2k cash, that's not including flight and a visa. I want to get work asap when I arrive, even if it's a few hours in a bar somewhere. It'll keep me going and hopefully meet some locals I can befriend along the way. :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey!

When I go I am looking at around £2k cash, that's not including flight and a visa. I want to get work asap when I arrive, even if it's a few hours in a bar somewhere. It'll keep me going and hopefully meet some locals I can befriend along the way. :)

If I go in September which is looking less likely everyday them that's roughly the amount I'll have - around 2.5k to 3k. Do you have bar experience? I'm sure you'll get something. You could always do some au pairing or work for accommodation in a hostel to save money while you look for work

Why is it not likely? It can be so tough to save, I have struggled for years due to job situations. I don't have bar experience but I would happily just wait on tables/clean hostels (cheap accomodation that way ;)) for a few weeks whilst I try and get some Admin work. I just want to be there. I am hoping to go January time, I am thinking it may be easier to get waitress work in Summer. :)

I'm sure I read somewhere that it's harder to find work in summer because of school/uni people. Could be wrong though

I'm just not guaranteed to have saved enough by then. I should know within the next few months. I also have some family stuff going on which I might not just be able to leave behind about I'll also know that within the next few months so I'll just continue saving as normal

I can get another one, I phoned up London to check before applying but the thought of paying it again makes me want to cry because I'm usually a typical scot with money. Plus I remember the feeling when It was granted. I'll have to see what my next few wages are like. I feel really bad because my mum was planning on going to Italy again in August but she says if I'm going to Australia then she won't book it so she can help me put a bit. Makes me feel guilty

You should just go... If you spend too long worrying about money you end up never doing anything. In my eyes aslong as I have enough to live on for a little while and I have spare cash to get home if I am absolutely desperate I will feel happy. I am sure there are a billion jobs out there. Fruit picking, cleaning, waitressing, bar work etc. I say go for it!! Don't overthink it. :)

I know what you mean. It is a struggle and a worry but you will be on the other side of the world living a different world so being worried is good. It can go one of 2 ways you can live the dream and wonder why you were so worried or it can go horribly wrong, aslong as you have cash to get home if you absolutely need to you can't go wrong! :) It's a risk worth taking I say.

Yes, the longer you leave it the harder it will be. If you don't want to go for the full year could you not take a month off work and just travel? Go with STA or something along those lines? You get to see Aus and keep your job back home? May be better for you financially.

I always imagined it would be the opposite as you wouldn't get tied down in one place. I worry I will get attached to one City and never move on lol

I'd rather go with more money but then I'm worried I'd end up getting too comfortable and not want to go anymore. I like my job a lot so it'll already be hard to leave, waiting another year would probably make that harder

That's exactly what I done... didn't work until u had to.. bug mistake. I dont think i used the hostel kitchen untol 4 months im lol.

Then when I went to NZ for my WHV I don't the opposite. Went with sod all. Worked a lot more. .. enjoyed it more. Although I went on my own to NZ and in a group to Aus which I also think made a big difference.

Good point lol there's always that chance especially if you meet someone like some people have!

With any luck i'll find a nice Aussie guy ;) With what you said about people struggling to find work... If you are willing to do any job, fruit picking, cleaning, waitressing etc you should be fine... Australia is a big place :)

I think either way I'd want to work as soon as possible. It's just when I see posts about finding it really hard to get work that it puts me off. I'll just have to see how the next few months go. If I'm holding off then the latest I'm waiting is May

Ask yourself this question Stacey (don't put the answer on the forum so that you can be completely honest with yourself). Are you primarily looking for reasons to make the trip or reasons not to (or to delay it)? The answer to that question will tell you whether or not your heart is truly in it.

By the way I met my OH when she was 39 and I was 42 (12 years ago). She back-packed around Asia and Australia alone when in her 20s. She is quite a shy, cautious person - I have never understood how she did this given the type of person she is. I get the impression that she loved it all and had experiences that will stay with her for life I am sure.