Advice for obtaining regional farm work, 2nd working holiday visa

hollierw1991

Hi there, I am almost halfway through my first WHV and have started researching farm work etc today. I am finding it difficult to find jobs posted which I can rely on - I have heard many horror stories where backpackers have been exploited or have had to hand over accommodation money before finding work. I am a young girl planning to do the farm work on my own, hopefully in the Bundaberg area or anywhere along the Queensland Coast...and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction? Or know of any areas/farms/employers who are safe to work for?

Any advice would be appreciated :) thanks!

I'll have a look now thank you! I just didn't think it would be this difficult to find farm work! I can't afford to lose any money if I make the wrong choice and choose someone dodgy as I'm very low on funds and relying on my tax return in July for extra cash. If you know anyone that has done the farm work route to extend their WHV that would be amazing x

I'll have a look now thank you! I just didn't think it would be this difficult to find farm work! I can't afford to lose any money if I make the wrong choice and choose someone dodgy as I'm very low on funds and relying on my tax return in July for extra cash. If you know anyone that has done the farm work route to extend their WHV that would be amazing x

Is there any particular reason you think doing a tax return will provide you with more cash? Unless you are aware that you have been overpaying your tax, there is no reason why it should top up your funds.

Is there any particular reason you think doing a tax return will provide you with more cash? Unless you are aware that you have been overpaying your tax, there is no reason why it should top up your funds.

yes i did overpay tax for this financial year. I was working as a bartender for 4 months in sydney so I should be able to claim back the tax i paid for that period.

yes i did overpay tax for this financial year. I was working as a bartender for 4 months in sydney so I should be able to claim back the tax i paid for that period.

Well you do have to pay tax when you work... that doesn't mean it is an overpayment! As somebody moving around, you are probably deemed non resident and pay non resident rate of tax? You might have overpaid, I could have no idea, somebody might have miscalculated something, but if you are low on funds, I just would not be taking this for granted unless you are sure.

Edited by Bungo

But if you dont earn over the minimum threshold for that year you should be able to get it back no?

As I say, you might have overpaid I was just checking that you had good reason to think you had in view of your reliance on a refund, because WHV holders often seem to think they don't have to pay tax!

So the earnings threshold is zero for non residents for a start, so your status comes into it. And for residents most employers would factor in the threshold before they deduct tax in the first place. But if you do believe you are resident and have had some time not working, then probably there is some unutilised personal allowance to factor in.