Hello all,

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle! I have a couple of questions that I'm finding tricky to find answers to that are applicable to my specifics.

So I've been working my behind off for the past, at least, 2 years: working and studying full time, aiming to be a secondary teacher, with the goal of the Australian dream.

I'm currently studying History through the Open University, averaging 2:1, and hope to complete this next summer (2016). I am planning on applying for admission into a PGDE Secondary History course for that year, so if all goes well I will complete that in Summer 2017.

I will have:

BA (Hons) History degree (3 years)

PGDE Secondary History (1 year)

Do I need work experience to apply for 189 visa?

Could I, in theory, apply as soon as I have those precious, hard fought for, blood sweat and tear soaked pieces of paper, and still have the chance of being granted a 189 visa as a Secondary Teacher?

Thank you for any and every piece of advice, even if it's direction-pointing!

I hope you all are having a lovely evening!

Please understand that I do know that there is the very good chance that Secondary teacher will be taken off the list at any moment, however if that is so, then at least I'm qualified to teach here in the UK, and I'll just have to be creative for a chance of living and working in Australia in the future :cute:

How many days of supervised teaching does the PGDE have? It will need to be more than 45 to count "today". The one year PG Diploma is shortly no longer going to be sufficient to teaching in Australia. you will need a two year Masters of Teaching instead. The move has already started. The question is whether it will have been completed by the end of 2016 or not and if so whether that means one year diplomas will not be eligible to migrate.mthe move with nursing happened overnight leaving many many UK trained nurses no longer to qualify for 189 ...it could happen with teaching

Where are you looking at moving to? I can't comment on whether you can get a visa or not with no work experience but I would strongly suggest you obtain some before you come over. I know of three recent graduates who have moved to London and secured teaching work because they couldn't obtain anything here. I know another two people who are working in retail and getting any emergeny teaching work they can to build up some experience. All were after work as secondary teachers, of the two I know still in Australia one had a masters in history and couldn't obtain work, and the other has just started her masters this year in the hope it will help her secure work (can't remember off the top of my head what she's doing - I known it's not history though).

They were all in Victoria. So to ensure you arnt going up against the thousands of graduates fighting to get work id gain some experience before making the move.

How many days of supervised teaching does the PGDE have? It will need to be more than 45 to count "today". The one year PG Diploma is shortly no longer going to be sufficient to teaching in Australia. you will need a two year Masters of Teaching instead. The move has already started. The question is whether it will have been completed by the end of 2016 or not and if so whether that means one year diplomas will not be eligible to migrate.mthe move with nursing happened overnight leaving many many UK trained nurses no longer to qualify for 189 ...it could happen with teaching

Hi there,

I am in the process of applying via the 189 route and have a PGDE - I have over 12 years experience too. The PGDE does meet more than 45 days of supervised teaching as I have just had this back from Strathclyde University so that I can send it off to be assessed. I read about the 2 year Masters of Teaching interesting.... must read more about this.

Just checked and the PGDE is about 90 days of supervised teaching - 450 hours (approx.) according to the letter from the University where I completed my PGDE not sure what the introduction of the Masters in Education will mean for people arriving without it though.... :frown: away to do more reading!