direct flight with baby,advice pls!!!!!!!

Guest jodie_dirk

Guest jodie_dirk

Hi all, we are going to Melbourne in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone who has tavelled a direct flight with a baby had coped. We have a 9 yr old and a 9 month old and feel that a direct flight would be better as there will not be the chaos of a change over. Would anyone recommend this rather than achange over with a few hours in between or a stop over to sleep at a hotel and restart the next day.

Any experiences will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance, Jodie X:skeptical:

You will get different views from different people. I flew with both my boys when they were about 6-7 months and fitted into a bassinette and they were good as gold. Personally I subscribe to the theory that it is only 24 hours of your life and to get it over and done with in one hit. I love the night flights - work all day then get on the plane and sleep until refuelling stop then have something to eat and sleep some more. When my kids were tiny and we were flying, we did a fair bit of walking around with them while they were awake but once we had arrived they were into the daily rhythm without too much hassle. I have done the stop over thing too in the past but it didnt really add anything other than another 12 - 24 hours of "travel" as opposed to actually getting there.

Guest ameliaandpeter

Jodie,

Have done both options. Found night flight the best. First time me flew direct to Perth (had to run for connecting flight in Sing) my second son was 8mths. He slept through most of flight in his car seat. I was reccomended Medised but didn't need it. I did take plently of snacks which OH always seemes to enjoy.

Good Luck

Amelia x

My son was ten months when we came to Brisbane,my other kids 2 and 4; we stopped off twice to re-fuel in Dubai and Singapore for an hour or so each time, but didn't stop over. Thought that was better than to keep messing about with the luggage and the kids, as Quoll said, get it all over with. It worked out fine, had a night flight and they all three slept a lot. We got a bassinette too, so your baby could go in one if they had any available.

Jo

Hi all, we are going to Melbourne in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone who has tavelled a direct flight with a baby had coped. We have a 9 yr old and a 9 month old and feel that a direct flight would be better as there will not be the chaos of a change over. Would anyone recommend this rather than achange over with a few hours in between or a stop over to sleep at a hotel and restart the next day.

Any experiences will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance, Jodie X:skeptical:

Hi Jodie

We have done both options.

The 1st time we came to Oz we came with our eldest son who at the time was 13 months old. We did have a basinet for him which was great however stopped off in Singapore for 5 nights on the way and again at HK for 2 nights on the way back. Each time we had a night flight and he slept.

Then when we came again our eldest was just over 2 and our 2nd son was 10 months. Again we travelled on a night flight and again we had a basinet for him, however this time we came direct. They were both brilliant on the flight.

We then came again later that year to validate our visas and our eldest was just 3, our 2nd son was 20months and I was pregnant. Again we had a night flight however this time we decided to pay for a seat for our youngest as he was too big for a basinet. We travelled direct again and they were both brilliant on the flight.

Then when we finally came out here last year our eldest was nearly 6, our middle son was 3 1/2 and our youngest was 14months. Again we travelled at night and direct and didnt have a basinet for our youngest. (He sat on our lap). Our eldest was so pleased with himself as he stayed awake for the entire flight watching the films and doing colouring etc. Our middle son slept from the minute we took off in London to the minute we landed in Dubai and again slept from the minute we took off again to the minute we landed here!!!! Our youngest again was fine and slept most of the flight.

To be honest like Quoll says you will get different responses to this but in my experience a night flight is always better when you have small children as we found that they are more likely to sleep as they are tired anyway.

With regards to travelling direct to be honest the last 3 times that we have done it direct was purely for the reason that you get it all out of the way in one go!! The stress of having to go through passport control, collect your luggage to then check in again the following day only adds to the stress of flying with little ones!! IMHO. To be honest it doesnt matter if you travel direct or do a stop over, at some stage you will more than likely be walking the isles of the plane. I know that whenever we have travelled the cabin crew have been more than helpful should you need anything!!

Hope this helps in someway. Good luck with the flight I am sure that it will be fine!!

Deb xx

Guest jodie_dirk

Hi all, thanks for all your stories and advice. has settled my mind and will be going for a night flight direct. Hopefully my youngest sleeps, shes usually a perfect sleeper so fingers crossed, and hope they have a basket for her.

Many thanks again

TC Jodie X

Archived