certification of doc's

KazzE

Hi,

I read somewhere that somebody had their documents certified by a friend or relative by putting stickers on the copies with the relevant wording and then the person signed the sticker.

Do you think this would be acceptable to TRA and/or the visa people?

Has anyone actually done this and had documents go through the process

I am just about ready to send every thing off for TRA and thought this was a really good idea as I have a relative who is a magistrate and has agreed to sign loads of pages for me

But I am now having doubts as to whether the stickers would be acceptable.

the stickers say

I, Jane Blogs, xxxx magistrate, 123 Pudding Lane, London, certifiy that this is a true copy of the orginal

there is space left for her to sign, which she is going to do next weekend for me

Panic is starting to set in I really need to send this off, really worried that something stupid will be missing or cause the application to be rejected

Karen

A magistrate can sign,personally, I wouldn't do the stickers, if they become detatched then they'd send you back the piece of paper and say it wasn't certified. Better to sign each piece of paper.

Our solicitor had a stamp which said, I certify etc.,,, she then signed and dated it.

Ali

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi

best practice - sign on the orginals and don't use stickers.

I would suggest that teh certification is on the front (not the back as one of the solicitors did for one of my clients) of the copies.

Regards

Guest maladicta

Hmmm... I liked the sticker idea too... never thought they might come off etc!!! (This forum's absolutely invaluable!)

So, if they need signing on the original docs, will it be okay for me to just write on each (unless I get a stamp made?) - my husband's boss is a magistrate and we're hoping he's going to sign them...

I'm going to the stationers' at lunchtime to see how much a stamp would be. Otherwise, is it acceptable for me to write on the blurb and then the magistrate just to sign?

And what are the exact words I would use... I saw kazze's post which was really helpful! But what do I put in the xxxx bit - is this the place that they're a magistrate for, eg Leeds? :?

Thanks guys if you can help :)

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi there

Just so I'm clear, the certification is on the copies as true copies of the originals and not on the originals themselves.

regards.

Hi

My solicitors stamp said:

I certify this to be a true copy

She then signed and dated it and put solicitor

it then had the address and telephone number

(in case they need to check I guess).

I don't think it would matter if you wrote the I certify bit as long as your magistrage friend signs, dates and puts his designation.

Ali

Guest The.Colebecks

I typed all the relevant info onto small stickers, put them on every original page then photocopied everything. Our J.P. friend then signed where necessary.

The agent has sent our TRA off so there has not been any query on this.

Karen xx

Guest spray21

A lot of solicitors will have their own stamps - we just took our originals in and they copied them, stamped & signed the copies, and we paid.

If your mate is doing it for you then it might be polite to do your own copying, depending on how many you need done - why not ask them?

Hi

yes the xxx is where they are a magistrate so it might say Leeds magistrate

I thought you had to send certified copies not originals and I don't think I want to put the stickers on the originals and then photocopy what if they DON'T come off the originals!

thanks to everyone, given me some things to think about

thats what I like about this forum

I am going to arrange for the documents to go by courier I think at hopefully a bit more reliable than good old P O

thanx again

Karen

Guest The.Colebecks

I thought you had to send certified copies not originals and I don't think I want to put the stickers on the originals and then photocopy what if they DON'T come off the originals!

You can photocopy everything, then put on the stickers, then get it all signed (take all originals with you to the solicitor/JP etc)

Karen xx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maladicta

Hello again guys!!!

OH has finally got around to asking his boss to certify everything for us. He's agreed to do it but he's never done it before.

I want to get a stamp made up as there's going to be SO much to certify.

What is the EXACT wording I need? I'm thinking:

I certify that this is a true copy of the original.

Signed ..................

Name Mr S Bloggs

Position: Leeds Magistrate

Address: does this need to be his home address or can it be the court address?

Telephone: do I need to put this? And again is it his personal number?

This would mean that the only bit he needs to sign is the signature line. Do you think this would be acceptable, or does he need to physically write his name, position, address, phone no??

Sorry if this sounds garbled... really starting to worry that I'll get the stamp made up wrong and we'll get everything sent back!!

Many thanks of you can help :)

Guest maladicta

Hello again guys!!!

OH has finally got around to asking his boss to certify everything for us. He's agreed to do it but he's never done it before.

I want to get a stamp made up as there's going to be SO much to certify.

What is the EXACT wording I need? I'm thinking:

I certify that this is a true copy of the original.

Signed ..................

Name Mr S Bloggs

Position: Leeds Magistrate

Address: does this need to be his home address or can it be the court address?

Telephone: do I need to put this? And again is it his personal number?

This would mean that the only bit he needs to sign is the signature line. Do you think this would be acceptable, or does he need to physically write his name, position, address, phone no??

Sorry if this sounds garbled... really starting to worry that I'll get the stamp made up wrong and we'll get everything sent back!!

Many thanks of you can help :)

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi there

A stamp is fine with the magistrate signing and dating the copies.

I suggest the following wording

This is a certified true copy of the original as sighted by me

Signature

Name in full

Date

Address (home or Court will be fine)

Tel number (home or Court is fine as long as it is a place he can be contacted)

He does not have to physically write his name etc and they can be by way of a stamp

Regards

Guest maladicta

Gaaargh

Sorry Phil, just tried to post a reply and it didn't seem to want to work :roll:

Anyway! Thanks for your reply. In the end we've decided to use a small local firm of solicitors who've said they'll certify everything for £30 - it was going to cost around this for the stamp anyway so I think we're going to use them.

Hope OH's boss won't be upset... don't think he will be.

Thanks for your help Phil :)

• 3 months later...
Guest carla&trev

Hi Phil

Maybe you can advise me. I live in France and obviously need to get quite alot of certified copies. I have a solicitor nearby and the secretary speaks english which makes things easier in terms of communicating what I want but the solicitor is french and only speaks french. I was wondering, therefore, whether the certifying has to be in english? Or can the legal secretary do it?

I look forward to your response.

Carla

Archived