Do UK electrical appliances work well in Oz

Ceri09

Hi, I am a hairdresser and I am wondering if my electrical equipment will work normally in oz with an adaptor? Or will I need to change my wires? I have a professional hairdryer and GHD straighteners and just want to make sure they work before I buy new ones. Also will our tv's work? Thanks in advance

Ceri

My hairdryer and GHD's work fine with an adapter, not had any problems. TV's do work, however you need a PVR really. It's like a freeview set-top box, but it records as well. someone told me that TV's need a setting changed once you get here, but I don't remember whether I did anything to mine or not.

Hi, I am a hairdresser and I am wondering if my electrical equipment will work normally in oz with an adaptor? Or will I need to change my wires? I have a professional hairdryer and GHD straighteners and just want to make sure they work before I buy new ones. Also will our tv's work?

It's the same voltage as the UK - you just need adapters for the plugs.

Some people have had luck changing the settings in the TVs to Germany.

You can buy plug tops from the hardware stores for a few dollars each and chop off the uk ones.

Bring over your powerboards, then you will only need 1 adapter, or new plug.

But its illegal to do it yourself in victoria............

Before I left the UK I bought a couple of Aus 10A power leads from https://uk.rs-online.com (part number 321-168) and a couple of 4-way extension blocks and wired them up.

Easy enough if you know what you're doing, and strictly speaking I didn't do it myself in Aus ;-)

But if you're working with heating-based devices like hair dryers or straighteners (whatever, I don't have hair!) I wouldn't recommend plugging several of these into an extension block if they're used at the same time, because you might overload it and cause a fire.

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 23.42.46.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 23.43.45.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 23.43.45.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 23.42.46.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that because the voltage is the same everything would be ok with an adapter. However after my dishwasher melted the plug socket, I was advised that the wattage is different so I should have bought a new dishwasher. Now I'm unsure.

• 2 weeks later...
Before I left the UK I bought a couple of Aus 10A power leads from https://uk.rs-online.com (part number 321-168) and a couple of 4-way extension blocks and wired them up.

Easy enough if you know what you're doing, and strictly speaking I didn't do it myself in Aus ;-)

But if you're working with heating-based devices like hair dryers or straighteners (whatever, I don't have hair!) I wouldn't recommend plugging several of these into an extension block if they're used at the same time, because you might overload it and cause a fire.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29144[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29145[/ATTACH]

Agree with this and the insurance will not pay out if they see an adaptor, it happened to my neighbour. My ex just changed all the plugs on things, it was time consuming but I am glad we did it that way.

Ok great, thanks for replying. That is good to know saves me paying for new ones out there.

Yes, Ceri, your UK electrical appliances will definitely work okay in Oz with an adaptor. Here's a great tip I picked up on PomsInOz a few years ago: You'll only need one UK/Oz adaptor plug, but also bring a UK 4 or 6-point UK powerboard with you!! You're bound to have a number of appliances that'll need a UK plug at the same time (for instance, charging cameras/mobile phones/tablets etc) and if you're bringing small appliances, like an iron/kettle/toaster/hair dryer/straightener, as plenty of people do, you'll find a powerboard an absolute boon until the time your UK appliances die and you want to buy Oz replacements. It was a great tip and I'm happy to pass it on. You won't be sorry, I promise! All the best!

Edited by barbaitch

Not recommended to plug any of those into a multi-way adapter and use them at the same time.

With respect, mungbean, I've been using my uk 4-socket powerboard for four years while on three x 3month visits to Australia, prior to coming here two years ago, during which time I've used it on a daily basis, albeit not all sockets at once for much of that time. I still use my powerboard for my uk electric hair dryer every day, the only uk appliance I have not yet replaced with an Australian appliance. My suggestion for using a uk powerboard for uk appliances while in Oz was intended as a temporary arrangement until people newly arrived from the UK eventually purchased Australian replacements. I still say it's a great tip for people coming to Oz on a visa validation trip, or for new arrivals who may not wish to replace their own uk appliances immediately. It's worked for me very well and I know it's been a great boon for many other newcomers to Oz. Happy days!

With respect, mungbean, I've been using my uk 4-socket powerboard for four years while on three x 3month visits to Australia, prior to coming here two years ago, during which time I've used it on a daily basis, albeit not all sockets at once for much of that time. I still use my powerboard for my uk electric hair dryer every day, the only uk appliance I have not yet replaced with an Australian appliance. My suggestion for using a uk powerboard for uk appliances while in Oz was intended as a temporary arrangement until people newly arrived from the UK eventually purchased Australian replacements. I still say it's a great tip for people coming to Oz on a visa validation trip, or for new arrivals who may not wish to replace their own uk appliances immediately. It's worked for me very well and I know it's been a great boon for many other newcomers to Oz. Happy days!

It's not about how many are plugged in at once, it's about how many are switched on.

Agree with this and the insurance will not pay out if they see an adaptor, it happened to my neighbour. My ex just changed all the plugs on things, it was time consuming but I am glad we did it that way.

Thanks might do that for partners straighteners if were staying a while then change back if we come home. At least for Xbox I can't just buy a new lead :)

I would be wary of using adapters, we had our tumble dryer plugged into one and it caught fire - luckily it blew the electrics, we were in and found it smouldering. Plug was chopped off and changed after that! Thankfully the fuse has gone in the plug so no damage to the appliance.

I was told that because the voltage is the same everything would be ok with an adapter. However after my dishwasher melted the plug socket, I was advised that the wattage is different so I should have bought a new dishwasher. Now I'm unsure.

It's only a problem for big appliances. I'm not an electrician but it was explained to me that although the circuit is 13A like the UK, each individual plug socket is only 10A. In the UK, big appliances like a tumble dryer or dishwasher are rated at 13A so that's why they cause a meltdown.

• 4 years later...

Most people don't have a problem using UK electircal goods in Australia as the voltage is the same (230v). 

Whilst some people have a problem with small heating appliances a lot don't.

This detailed guide from PSS provides a lot more information on working out which appliances will work ok and how to adapt items such as TV's to work in Australia.

https://blog.pssremovals.com/using-uk-electricals-in-australia/

using-uk-electrical-appliance-in-austral