Jameister

Tailgating

"Something you'll never hear spoken in Australia. "I slow down and take extra care during times of inclement weather".Wet weather is a green light to spin the old wheels and skid all over the road like a child and they think its compulsory to drive faster in wet weather even with babies on board the mind really does boggle.

In my experience wet weather means that everyone slows to crawl. It's only water, not banana skins !

Whenever the roads are wet, i can guarantee my one hour & 15 min commute is at least half an hour longer.

From Kilmarnock, now in Melbourne :-)

"Something you'll never hear spoken in Australia. "I slow down and take extra care during times of inclement weather".Wet weather is a green light to spin the old wheels and skid all over the road like a child and they think its compulsory to drive faster in wet weather even with babies on board the mind really does boggle.

this would never happen in the UK of course

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2412099/Sheppey-crash-chaos-Kent-200-injured-100-vehicle-pile-up.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8871553/M5-crash-seven-dead-in-worst-ever-smash-in-Somerset.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2953376/One-dead-dozens-injured-massive-motorway-pile-involving-30-vehicles-foggy-conditions.html

Never argue with an idiot........he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The trouble with Australian drivers are they haven't much evolved from the farm track driving as the infrastructure of the country has come on leaps and bounds coupled with the genetic retard gene that is prevalent in any inbred race which evolved from criminal and prostitute DNA.I drive up to 3 hours a day everyday and without fail i see :Tailgating seems compulsive.Don't leave a small gap in front of you as they will try and squeeze their way in.Changing from lane to lane like they are in the F1.Completely ignore amber and red lights and do as they please.Park anywhere they please dangerously without using hazard lights.Speed like they are in the F1.Overtaking on the wrong side of the road.Think nothing of drinking whilst driving.Think nothing of drug taking and driving.Who cares if we get banned we can get an E licence and still behave the same whilst on it.I could go on and on.And we can all spot the Nationality :Short hair in the front and long at the back.Billy goat beard.Unshaven hillbillies.Wearing no shoes to get fuel and smokes.Boot full off empty VB cans.Southern cross tattoos.All of the above women included.

And that's just on a good day right?:laugh:You gotta get in that "relaxed"frame of mind peeps!You forgot to mention the redneck sculling a tinny,and smoking a joint whilst driving!:wink:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

The slowing down tactic might infuriate them but it's actually what they teach you on defensive driving courses. If you are travelling at a slower speed then there is a bit more time to react in the event of a hazard.

I usually just let them past at the earliest opportunity. They do rile me but I'm not putting my car/health/life at risk just to prove to some moron tailgating is rude and dangerous.

Plus, keep left and let them pass if you can - I'd rather have an idiot in from of me.

Plus never drive side by side with other vehicles, as it leaves you no where to go in an emergency.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

4 lanes and most Aussies drive in the 3rd lane

Only time i tailgate is when someone is in the wrong lane driving well under the speed limit which is about 50% lol

2 laned road and a car is going to be turning right in about 20kms

Guess what they drive in the outside lane for 20kms

I've never undertaken as many cars but its the only way

True, but to be fair many roads (Perth freeway especially) wasn't really designed for the keep left rule. To tend to end up going places you didn't want to go to when you keep left.

A lot of the driving habits come down to bad road design. They simply weren't designed for that amount of traffic.

The trouble with Australian drivers are they haven't much evolved from the farm track driving as the infrastructure of the country has come on leaps and bounds coupled with the genetic retard gene that is prevalent in any inbred race which evolved from criminal and prostitute DNA.I drive up to 3 hours a day everyday and without fail i see :Tailgating seems compulsive.Don't leave a small gap in front of you as they will try and squeeze their way in.Changing from lane to lane like they are in the F1.Completely ignore amber and red lights and do as they please.Park anywhere they please dangerously without using hazard lights.Speed like they are in the F1.Overtaking on the wrong side of the road.Think nothing of drinking whilst driving.Think nothing of drug taking and driving.Who cares if we get banned we can get an E licence and still behave the same whilst on it.I could go on and on.And we can all spot the Nationality :Short hair in the front and long at the back.Billy goat beard.Unshaven hillbillies.Wearing no shoes to get fuel and smokes.Boot full off empty VB cans.Southern cross tattoos.All of the above women included.

You have just about described my daily drive to and from work. When I get my dash cam working properly I will post a video to show you. Motorway driving at it's best.

And that's just on a good day right?:laugh:You gotta get in that "relaxed"frame of mind peeps!You forgot to mention the redneck sculling a tinny,and smoking a joint whilst driving!:wink:

I'm surprised at this post Jacaranda. I thought you had more class.

I have removed a few posts because they either, made a personal comment, responded to a (now deleted) personal comment, or quoted one.

Please take personal comments to your PM system (if you must) and keep them off the public forum

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest Guest66881

Women aged around 35 are the worst i have found, bloody shocking some of the manoeuvres they take on, all done while texting or applying make up i might add:rolleyes:

Having two daughters, one that passed her test in the UK and one that passed in Perth, I know which one i would rather be a passenger with:confused:

Tbh, taking the youngest one out for a practice on the night before her test, I thought she was nowhere near ready to take the test. But blow me down she did pass, thankfully with the rules here she still can't drive on her own for another few months, which is giving her dad n I a bit of time to install some good driving with her.

To the original OP.....yes mega agree with you on the tailgating and driving standards in Perth, its awful and when I see accidents as they happen.....WTF...how did that happen.

but as someone who works in an accident repair shop.....jobs for the boys:wink:

As for the rain....wahoo, nobody can drive in that. Beats snow hands down:wacko:

Got mine after five lessons in Perth. I wasn't ready. But hey, I survived. They should insist on doing an advanced skills or a defensive skills course after a few years experience, after p plates maybe. I did a defensive course last year, and it did open my eyes a bit. Even simple things like leaving a gap in front of you when you pull up at an intersection to give yourself room to move should someone look like they are going to rear end you, or the car in front stall.

Having two daughters, one that passed her test in the UK and one that passed in Perth, I know which one i would rather be a passenger with:confused:

Tbh, taking the youngest one out for a practice on the night before her test, I thought she was nowhere near ready to take the test. But blow me down she did pass, thankfully with the rules here she still can't drive on her own for another few months, which is giving her dad n I a bit of time to install some good driving with her.

To the original OP.....yes mega agree with you on the tailgating and driving standards in Perth, its awful and when I see accidents as they happen.....WTF...how did that happen.

but as someone who works in an accident repair shop.....jobs for the boys:wink:

As for the rain....wahoo, nobody can drive in that. Beats snow hands down:wacko:

On the original point.. Yes, tailgating in Perth is a big problem. There isn't a good courteous driving culture in Perth. It can be pretty aggressive at times. It's the lack of awareness and observation that scares me though. Also P Platers being allowed to drive 4 litre V8 cars is an issue as quite often they are the ones tailgating myself and other people. Lack of lane formation, undertaking and a general lack of knowledge on road rules are a problem too

I totally agree with you WeegieDave. P platers able to drive V8's is beyond me, if the insurance companies had any sense they would increase the premium like they do in the UK but then again here they have Rego that gives any driver a basic cover of insurance so I'm sure that would be used if comprehensive wasn't available.

undertaking is a pain too, you have to be in lane early, the times i've been undertaken with my left indicator on.

water off a ducks back now, but initially i thought wtf!

the whole 'middle lane is the cruising lane' mentality, and the cruise control rolling road block where 2 or 3 cars effectively block the road by all doing the same speed.

just relax...... just relax!

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

I totally agree with you WeegieDave. P platers able to drive V8's is beyond me, if the insurance companies had any sense they would increase the premium like they do in the UK but then again here they have Rego that gives any driver a basic cover of insurance so I'm sure that would be used if comprehensive wasn't available.

Rego only covers 3rd party injury. No vehicle or property is covered so if they want any kind of cover for their vehicle, they must have Comprehensive. At the very least, they need 3rd party property if they only want to cover the other guy's Mercedes or BMW if they damage it.

Rego only covers 3rd party injury. No vehicle or property is covered so if they want any kind of cover for their vehicle, they must have Comprehensive. At the very least, they need 3rd party property if they only want to cover the other guy's Mercedes or BMW if they damage it.

I was always told when i started driving my own car that i needed at least third party insurance in case i ever drove into someones BMW.

I never got a good answer if i asked them 'what if i drive into a shite box like my own?'

I wasn't completely aware of the t&c's about the Rego as I have fully comp anyway, but even still my statement regarding insurance companies upping their premium would be an interesting outcome. Not sure it would actually stop the tailgating though!

Better driver awareness, instructors, tests etc is the answer. Sometimes I don't think drivers are actually aware they're doing it, it's like they're on some sort of auto pilot but there are others that are blatantly aware and just have this aggressive, impatient behaviour about them.

I found it worse in the UK ... maybe I have been lucky here ...

Yes, tailgating was rife in Dorset, I get it here sometimes but not as much.

I find that people are far more likely to cut you up here, though. People don't seem to get upset by it the way they do in the UK. It's very dangerous though.

I've just driven from Margaret River to Perth and was tailgated several times, mostly by people in huge 4x4's, one of them a woman who ended up trying to undertake me but couldn't because the car I'd pulled out to overtake, was in her way. In the UK it was usually by BMW and Audi drivers. I'm not intimidated by them and I don't speed up to get past the car I was overtaking any quicker.

I obviously don't know what nationality they were, nor do I care, they're all f**kwits!

I drink, therefore I dance.....

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule.

In some jurisdictions I think it may be advised that 3 seconds separation (dry roads) should be planned.

From Kilmarnock, now in Melbourne :-)

Guest Guest66881
Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule.

In some jurisdictions I think it may be advised that 3 seconds separation (dry roads) should be planned.

Trouble is here mate, you create a two second gap and some galah nips into it making it a now .7 second gap:mad:

Trouble is here mate, you create a two second gap and some galah nips into it making it a now .7 second gap:mad:

I had this on Friday night on my way home from work. In the right lane, moving pretty quick, plenty of room between me and the car in front and behind. Driver in the middle lane has his indicator on, I would have to brake to let him in as he was going considerably slower, I never brake to let anyone in, all that does is cause issue for people behind me, I will take my foot off the accelerator to let them in but not brake. He tried to pull out anyway, not straight after the car in front of me but waited until I was just about on top of him, I hit the horn and he moved fully back into his lane and then proceeded to abuse me when I went past pointing to his indicator, I just shook my head at him. There's only so much courtesy you can show at 70 mph without causing issues.

I hit the horn and he moved fully back into his lane and then proceeded to abuse me when I went past pointing to his indicator, I just shook my head at him

And this is the other thing, it seems the Aussies don't like using their horn so when you use it like you quite rightly did they get abusive as if it's your fault.

I wasn't able to use my horn the other day when a guy decided to drive so close behind me he was practically kissing my rear bumper. I started to slow slightly to try and encourage him to back off but all this did is aggravate the situation to the point he almost run me off the road trying to then overtake and swerve into me whilst narrowly avoiding an oncoming car.

Dashcam at the back is next on my shopping list, can't wait to catch one of these pricks in action.

Not driven in Aus yet (and you're making it sound so appealing), but the difference between driving courtesy between Northern and Southern England is immense. In Kent/Sussex every morning we got cut up, undertaken, people slamming on, nobody giving way, no acknowledgement when we gave way. So much more stressful from my Northern commute which is genuinely enjoyable. So it's definitely not a poms/ozzies thing alone.

Also Dubai is beyond anything I've seen, including Vietnam etc. Overtaking and undertaking people simultaneously at 100-150mph is standard.

IELTS passed 11/08/2014 (R: 9, L: 9, W: 8, S: 8), VETASSESS lodged 16/01/2015, VETASSESS Positive Assessment 17/03/2015, EOI submitted 18/03/2015, Invited 23/04/2015, Visa submitted 30/04/2015, CO allocated 15/06/2015, Medical 25/06/2015, Medical passed 09/07/2015, Visa granted 22/07/2015, Underpants changed 22/07/2015