Jameister

Tailgating

Guest Guest66881
it is such a shame that all the australian drivers can't go to england to learn to drive and learn "proper" road rules. If this did happen, i'm sure you'd find something else to complain about!

factual observations are not people moaning, the road rules here are the same as the uk (law wise) just that some choose to drive around like no one else is on the road, same applies in the uk but thats not this threads debate is it?

The poor bus drivers probably think you are sooooo annoying. They pull out because they have the right of way.

Are you sure about that?. Surely a bus doesn't have the right to pull out when a vehicle is alongside him, I would imagine a bus driver still has to drive safely like any road user.

Mike

No..they have no indicator on.your meant to indicate when your wanting to move off.oh and they already have their own lane,im normally driving in the next lane

If they are in a bus lane and you are in another lane why does it annoy you if the pull off?

If they are in a bus lane and you are in another lane why does it annoy you if the pull off?

Because they pull out into my lane,without any warning

Are you sure about that?. Surely a bus doesn't have the right to pull out when a vehicle is alongside him, I would imagine a bus driver still has to drive safely like any road user.

Mike

All drivers are required to pull into traffic with safety (buses included) but in the ACT and NSW you are required to give way to a bus. It is always a judgement call but if you are stopped in traffic any car not level with the bus would be silly to assume the bus won't take right of way. If you are approaching a stationary bus you are required to be prepared to give way. I'm not sure about the other states as I don't drive there that often.

Because they pull out into my lane,without any warning

Can't say I've ever seen this happen but if it is happening to you on a regular basis you should report the bus.

The poor bus drivers probably think you are sooooo annoying. They pull out because they have the right of way.

Sort of right, but they still have to pull out into a clear space and give you notice of there intention as well as giving you time and space to safely let them pull out, in other words they cannot pull out if you are along side or immediately behind them when they first indicate, the problem would always proving that, but a side swipe would, to me, prove that the bus did not pull out safely.

Also in Qld this rule applies to roads which have a speed limit of less than 80KPH

Enjoying life in Queensland

Iv seen it many times,not just with myself but with other drivers on the road too...as soon as i see a bus now i just move right away from it!

Can't say I've ever seen this happen but if it is happening to you on a regular basis you should report the bus.

I found it worse in the UK ... maybe I have been lucky here ...

We had a bit of a scarey drive from Heathrow when we landed back in October too, to be fair!

4 lanes and most Aussies drive in the 3rd lane

Only time i tailgate is when someone is in the wrong lane driving well under the speed limit which is about 50% lol

2 laned road and a car is going to be turning right in about 20kms

Guess what they drive in the outside lane for 20kms

I've never undertaken as many cars but its the only way

....I Actually Live In Australia....And I'm Enjoying Life On The Gold Coast....It Is Possible You Know....

Guys, we going off on a tangent regarding the buses. This thread is about tailgating. Great response and opinions. I don't think the answer though is to tailgate someone because they're going too slow or in the right hand lane. In the UK if someone was hogging the outside lane I have would just flash but people don't do that here they just sit there hoping the person will eventually see and pull over.

4 lanes and most Aussies drive in the 3rd lane

Only time i tailgate is when someone is in the wrong lane driving well under the speed limit which is about 50% lol

2 laned road and a car is going to be turning right in about 20kms

Guess what they drive in the outside lane for 20kms

I've never undertaken as many cars but its the only way

With you there mate! no tailgating on the inside lane, actually it makes for quite a pleasant drive sometimes up and down between Brisbane and the Gold coast. But it is understandable why some choose not to use the inside lane when it can end or become an exit left lane, it then becomes a deceleration lane causing merging at slower than the limit speeds.

Enjoying life in Queensland

factual observations are not people moaning, the road rules here are the same as the uk (law wise) just that some choose to drive around like no one else is on the road, same applies in the uk but thats not this threads debate is it?

I haven't issue with people making observations but the subject of driving comes up so often and it does seem that Australian drivers and the road rules which do differ from those in England are painted as stupid. I have lived and driven here for almost 49 years and have not found the driving to be anything like as bad as it is being made out to be. Ofcourse there are bad drivers, you can find them anywhere in the world. Maybe it's just me but I can't see how this subject merits the amount of space it takes up on a forum.

• Like 1

Tailgating.......it's something we do to annoy poms (and it's working)......get over it.

Never argue with an idiot........he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Wow amazing powers Sir Les from aussies,being able to tell the nationality of a driver!Incredible! You get bad drivers everywhere.Yep have experienced tailgating in the hills of Adelaide where I used to live/work on several occasions.Just drive the speed limit and ignore the wallies!You can buy stress balls designed for driving.It has sound effects like an AK-47 being fired!(obviously not loud enough for other drivers to hear but boy does it feel good!:laugh:Also has a chimpanzee screeching?haha)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

You want to try driving in Switzerland for tailgating, 130kph and literally polishing your rear bumper. Normal way of driving there. Glad I have now left after 7 years. As long as you are not going stupidly over the speed limit, all you will get is a fine in the post, pay the fine, no points, not recorded against you, and money for the council.

The trouble with Australian drivers are they haven't much evolved from the farm track driving as the infrastructure of the country has come on leaps and bounds coupled with the genetic retard gene that is prevalent in any inbred race which evolved from criminal and prostitute DNA.I drive up to 3 hours a day everyday and without fail i see :Tailgating seems compulsive.Don't leave a small gap in front of you as they will try and squeeze their way in.Changing from lane to lane like they are in the F1.Completely ignore amber and red lights and do as they please.Park anywhere they please dangerously without using hazard lights.Speed like they are in the F1.Overtaking on the wrong side of the road.Think nothing of drinking whilst driving.Think nothing of drug taking and driving.Who cares if we get banned we can get an E licence and still behave the same whilst on it.I could go on and on.And we can all spot the Nationality :Short hair in the front and long at the back.Billy goat beard.Unshaven hillbillies.Wearing no shoes to get fuel and smokes.Boot full off empty VB cans.Southern cross tattoos.All of the above women included.

The trouble with Australian drivers are they haven't much evolved from the farm track driving as the infrastructure of the country has come on leaps and bounds coupled with the genetic retard gene that is prevalent in any inbred race which evolved from criminal and prostitute DNA.I drive up to 3 hours a day everyday and without fail i see :Tailgating seems compulsive.Don't leave a small gap in front of you as they will try and squeeze their way in.Changing from lane to lane like they are in the F1.Completely ignore amber and red lights and do as they please.Park anywhere they please dangerously without using hazard lights.Speed like they are in the F1.Overtaking on the wrong side of the road.Think nothing of drinking whilst driving.Think nothing of drug taking and driving.Who cares if we get banned we can get an E licence and still behave the same whilst on it.I could go on and on.And we can all spot the Nationality :Short hair in the front and long at the back.Billy goat beard.Unshaven hillbillies.Wearing no shoes to get fuel and smokes.Boot full off empty VB cans.Southern cross tattoos.All of the above women included.

Dodgy statement dodgy.:wink:but I kind of know where you are coming from.and some part I agree.

:biglaugh: Classic :wacko: and he was just talking about pommy migrants :wink:

Edited by Sir Les Patterson

Never argue with an idiot........he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Tailgating.......it's something we do to annoy poms (and it's working)......get over it.

:laugh: The last person that did it to me finally overtook and had Chelsea Football Club stickers all over their rear window, so I'd like to bet it was'nt an Aussie, could be wrong though.

:laugh: The last person that did it to me finally overtook and had Chelsea Football Club stickers all over their rear window, so I'd like to bet it was'nt an Aussie, could be wrong though.

Know what you mean.....drivers here in FNQ are notoriously bad but the last chronic tailgater I encountered on the Captain Cook Highway (and accompanying "road rage") was after he pulled out to overtake had a Cross of St George sticker on his back window :laugh:

Must admit I was shocked to say the least about the standard of driving over here when I first came over , soon realised that its not worth the damage to my blood pressure ,just let the idiots past and when you get to a set of lights you pull up along side them and give a smile !

I haven't issue with people making observations but the subject of driving comes up so often and it does seem that Australian drivers and the road rules which do differ from those in England are painted as stupid. I have lived and driven here for almost 49 years and have not found the driving to be anything like as bad as it is being made out to be. Ofcourse there are bad drivers, you can find them anywhere in the world. Maybe it's just me but I can't see how this subject merits the amount of space it takes up on a forum.

IMO, post of the thread. Well said Ellie.

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Someone on PIO once asked, "what are the road rules in Australia compared to the UK". The answer was, in Australia, 1) You MUST always drive at least 20km above the speed limit. 2) You MUST drive no more than two metres away from the car in front and 3) You MUST change lanes every thirty seconds, apart from that everything else is the same.

Something you'll never hear spoken in Australia. "I slow down and take extra care during times of inclement weather".