Leaving the UK - tax status - stupid question alert!

vickyplum

I hope someone can answer this for me: How does HMRC know that I have left the UK? Do I tell them or will they work it out when I finish with my employer and don't start with a new one?

Really silly question I know, but I can't work it out...

Thanks all:dull:

Hi, you need to tell them and fill out form P85 for a tax refund. Youll need your p45 from your employer for the total salary and tax paid. Then they give you money.

thanks, that's really helpful. I underpaid during 2014/2015 [thanks to my employer] so I may end up giving them money!!

I informed HMRC because I wanted a tax refund after leaving the UK in August 2013! I got my rebate quickly but unfortunately this then alerted the student loan company to the fact I had left the Country and they are ever increasing the repayments I have to make each month!

Erm....I don't understand. Do you get a tax refund on what you have paid on your earning page?? Why would they do that? I mean that would be amazing if they did, but I don't see why they would. Or have a totally misread that? Thanks x

You will have been taxed at a rate that assumed you would be paid at that rate for the whole year. As you would probably only earn't a percentage of what you would have done for the current tax year, you should get some sort of refund. This will of course depend on when into the Tax year you stopped earning in the UK.

Sorry to hijack the thread - what happens if you stay with the same employer? I will be transferring to the Melbourne Office of my company and will transfer to their payroll - should i still get a P45 from the UK payroll?

I would be amazed if it is the same legal entity. So you would certainly be finishing with the employing legal entity and starting with a new one. So yes, you would definitely need a P45.

thanks, that's really helpful. I underpaid during 2014/2015 [thanks to my employer] so I may end up giving them money!!

In 2015/16 you can earn £10,800 before paying tax. Your tax code divides that by 12 months or 52 weeks and you pay tax on the amount over and above. If you leave the country part way through the tax year you are still entitled to the annual allowance so the chances are that you will have overpaid tax. I am finishing work in June so will expect to get all my tax back but may have to wait until the end of the tax year for it. Not sure about this part but HMRC may wait as you can return to UK and start work again.

I am similar, I leave in early September so will likely have paid around £700 i tax, however I may have only just earnt over the £10,600 tax free allowance, meaning I should only be taxed on anything over £10,600. So the vast majority of the tax I paid between April and September should be claimed back. If you were to leave in say February thought (towards the end of the tax year you would have less to claim back.