Logan, what is it like?

blue butterfly

So we are narrowing down our search of places to start out in Australia and so far like the look of Logan and wondered if anyone has lived there or any general advise on the place. Anything from housing, schools, jobs etc just whatever. There is me my partner and two children 6, 10 we are looking at coming in May from Stoke, England.

Would not be near the top of my list, however there are some pockets of ok nice area's but some of the other nearby ones don't help. I am at present working on a construction project in the Logan area on both day and night shifts so tend to see the variety of local life from around this area, but with the job outside the courthouse I could be getting a little influenced from the going-ons there!

have you got other area's in mind?

So we are narrowing down our search of places to start out in Australia and so far like the look of Logan and wondered if anyone has lived there or any general advise on the place. Anything from housing, schools, jobs etc just whatever. There is me my partner and two children 6, 10 we are looking at coming in May from Stoke, England.

I've never been there, but about three years ago I had to look for new office premises for one of our Gold Coast branches. They gave me a map of their territory and I found what looked like an ideal shop in the Logan shopping centre. When I suggested this to the branch manager, he said OK but are you going to supply us with free flak jackets and machine guns as well? He said that if we opened there, the staff would be scared to work there.

I'm sure it's not as bad as that but that, in a nutshell, is what the locals think of it.

Logan central is IMO not a very nice place. Imagine Logan is like Gtr Manchester ,it is huge and around the ctr you have Woodridge and Kingston that don't get great feedback, the outer Logan area's are worlds apart and there are some nice suburbs with reasonably priced property and decent schools public and private.

Cal x

Edited by calNgary

Logan central is IMO not a very nice place. Imagine Logan is like Gtr Manchester ,it is huge and around the ctr you have Woodridge and Kingston that don't get great feedback, the outer Logan area's are worlds apart and there are some nice suburbs with reasonably priced property and decent schools public and private.

Cal x

Sorry but I have to stick up for Kingston....we bought a lovely big double brick house and have lived here in Kingston for 3 years now and are VERY happy here. We have the best neighbours anyone could have......introduced themselves as soon as we moved in......give us mangos off their trees...mow our nature strip when they mow their's.....no noise pollution......no hoons on our road....no late night parties etc etc.

Previously rented in "respectable" Westlake....parties nearly every weekend...no sleep.....motorbikes screeching up and down the road till early hours....neighbours never spoke to us.

Logan has it's bad areas like anywhere else and we have never felt unsafe or had any trouble. Feel much safer here than I ever did in UK.

Just saying :smile:

Most of Logan is pretty bad, particularly around Logan Central and Woodridge. Springwood is OK and Springwood SHS is quite a good school - my daughter has taught there for 6 or 7 years and actually enjoys teaching there. Also OK are Shailer Park, Slacks Creek. Kimberley Park. I don't know much about primary schools in the area with the notable exception of Kimberley Park SS which is renowned as one of the best state schools in Southeast Queensland. If you can get into their catchment area, go for it.

Logan is a city, the area is wide spread and there are good areas and bad as with most places. We have been living in cornubia for the las 2 years since we came to Australia with 3 kids, we have all really settled, no problems at all with all kids going to a great school, they have lots of friends and play sport locally. We are 25 mins to the city and 30 to the Gold Coast by car. I also work in a different part of Logan and wouldn't choose to live there. I suppose it really depends on what you are looking for but there are some great places to live in Logan and some I wouldn't choose to live in.....IMO shailer park, daisy hill, cornubia,carbrook and springwood are worth looking at.

Here is a list of Logan city suburbs, there is probably 40, of those i personally would avoid 4 or 5 . To say don't go to Logan would be like saying avoid North of Brisbane as Deception bay doesn't have a great rep or don;t go to the Gold Coast because Surfers is touristy and has crime..

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/about-logan/suburbs

Some of my favorites of the Logan list where you will come across good schools and very little crime would be Tamborine, Undullah, Jimboomba,Mudoolun, Yarabillba, Bahrs Scrub, Cedar Creek, Cedar Grove and Cedar Vale. All very green, spacious area's.

I cant explain how different the suburbs vary, to the OP the best thing to do is drive around and see for yourself, also check Realestate.com using various suburb names, but i wouldn't take the ''its a crap area' as gospel as we too were told that proir to moving here and i can hand on heart say its a load of rubbish and was probably said by someone who had no idea how big Logan is,lol.

Cal x

.. I've heard many times it being referred to locally as 'Bogan Logan ' in reference to crime ..My OH ' s work coleague has been brought up in and lives in Kingston and he says he won't go out on his own after dark .he says he lives there because all his family do and that is all he has ever known but he wouldn't recommend it .I have no personal experience on Logan and had limited knowledge of areas in Australia when we came to settle here therefore did rely heavily on recommendations .in my opinion it is not an area that I would recommend for your family to choose to settle .

Wow OK so quite a response to Logan! Thank you all for your posts, it is just so hard to choose where to start but I do appreciate the advise. Basically my brother and sister in law live in Lismore and my other half works in stack testing and there seem to be more job opportunities closer to Brisbane.

Whilst exploring my brother drove through Logan and thought it seemed nice.

Nothing is set in stone and we would like to travel for a month or so first. I would just like to start narrowing down to an area so we can look at jobs, housing, schools. May isn't that far away now. :unsure:

What a lot of people don't take into consideration is how big Logan now is . 9 years ago i was told ''don't go to Logan it is rough as'', 5 years later all the councils amalgamated and Logan council took over quite a few suburbs that previously belonged to the Gold Coast or Beaudesert ,and they are nice suburbs. Just because they now fall under Logan council makes no difference what so ever, they are still nice friendly areas .

Cal x

I wouldn't pick Logan myself, just didn't like the feel when driving through. Although yes I know its big and I'm sure there are plenty of nice places. The only problem is if you don't know which are the rough or the nice you may well pick the wrong one. Me and my OH and 2 kids moved to Wishart in january (about 10 mins north of Logan). Its about 25 mins to city and 40 mins to gold cost. Its a lovely area, in the mansfield high catchment area, which is a very good school, close to large shopping centre, plenty of parks around. The kids have settled into school really well (they are 6 & 11), feels really safe. Its close to main rounds so very easy to access most parts from here.

I have only recently moved to Australia and living in Shailer Park. My 2 kids attend Kimberley Park State school. It seems a great wee school and does accelerated learning for kids and helps kids also with special needs. I am enjoying living in Shailer park but most admit I would favour down closer to the coast in the future if things didn't work out here. The rentals are never up for long but that is only based on the last 4 months. The city is only 20 mins away and Coast about 30 mins.

I do admit there are areas that I have seen that are not desirable but there are good and bad everywhere. In my opinion Daisy Hill, Shailer Park, Cornubia are all nice and have a good reputation for families. If you want to pay more then close to the city is nice too as well as the Gold Coast. Our reason for coming here was friends and can't complain so far.

hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

As a general rule of thumb, the Logan suburbs that are mainly to the east of the M1 highway are fine - Rochedale, Springwood, Shailer Park, Daisy Hill etc. The problem suburbs are generally the ones on the western side. Once you've moved here and lived in the area for a while, then you may be able to find the better pockets on the 'bad' side but until then, stick to the east.

Stick to the other side of the M1 as others have said Springwood and heading towards the bay. Lot of Pacific Islanders around Logan, Kingston, Woodridge, Marsden. Lots of Poms live a bit further down the M1 at helensvale. Just stay away from Coomera State College. Schools like Coomera Rivers, Coomera Spring primary are fine. You have Pimpama State High which is a brand new high school, or Ormeau Woods state high. Ormeau State Primary is one to probably give a miss, but close by you have the brand new Pimpama State Primary, and Norfolk Village Primary is ok.

Jubilee Primary has a new principle and some parents are not very happy and moving kids out of the school. coomera also has a good selection of good private schools if you want to consider those. Really best thing is to rent short term and just drive around and have a good look, aks for a tour of the schools you will soon know what you are most comfortable with.

Edited by Tina2

Haven't lived there so don't know but some people talk about it in less than inspiring language.

One thing I'd say though, is that "rough" is a pretty relative word. Places I've been to that have been described as a "bit rough" in Australia are nowhere near as "rough" as places described as "rough" in the UK.