You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

JockinTas

Query re internet shopping

When you buy stuff over the internet e.g. from Marks & Spencer, are you charged duty on your purchases?

The reason I ask is, many years ago my sister sent lots of baby clothes from M & S for my son when he was born as she was going to work in Zambia and there wouldn't have been much choice in baby clothes there. I received a letter from customs stating I would have to pay duty (50%!!!) on the baby clothes unless I could prove they were a gift. Long story short ............ I showed them the letter from my sister stating she was sending the clothes for her yet to be born nephew. I was gobsmacked to see in a warehouse, heaps of stuff from Mothercare - including prams, cots, highchairs - which were sitting there waiting for the purchaser to pay the 50% duty! I wrote to Mothercare who used to advertise in The Australian Women's Weekly and told them to state that any purchases would have 50% added on to the price. That was over 30 years ago. Have things changed?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

If you mean in Australia. No as long as the goods are below $1000 in value there is no gst to pay

I want it all, and I want it now.

If you buy large good the shop in the UK will sometimes refund the VAT once it's been exported (though I don't know if this is a voluntary thing or not). I imported an oven and rangehood from the UK as they cost $10k here, but only GBP1500 over there, and while I paid GST when they were imported, the VAT was refunded, so overall I saved $6k even after paying the GST (exchange rate was better at the time though).

I've never been charged anything in 40 years. I don't spend a great deal at any one time though.

Nothing if under $1000.

Has two beautiful Aussie little girls :-)

Thanks for the info. The baby clothes my sister sent wouldn't have been anywhere near $1,000. I think back then it had more to do with importing goods which weren't gifts. As I said, it was an eye opener seeing all the unclaimed articles in the warehouse at the airport because many people couldn't afford the 50% duty. Glad times have changed.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

I don't think I've ever been charged and I order quite a bit from the UK and have it shipped here. I usually have problems with things being sent to the wrong country (Canada confused with Darwin!), packages opened (a birthday card may conceal offensive weapons or drugs apparently) or just being generally held up in customs for weeks.

Arrived in Australia on a working holiday visa 10/08/13 (to live with my partner), applied for De Facto Partner Visa 820/801 and granted bridging visa 09/07/14, last documents uploaded 22/12/14, contacted 09/07/15 by immigration and asked to have my medical done, medical completed 20/07/15, uploaded 27/07/15 and temporary partner visa (820) issued 27/07/15 :smile: