Indian community in Hobart/Tasmania & Racism?

Indianinoz

Hello,

How big is the Indian community in Hobart/Tasmania? Also, does Racism persist in Hobart against Indians? I've read on the Internet about the same but what is the actual situation?

Also, I'd like to talk/chat with someone who stays in Hobart. Is this possible? Skani and others? Please help.

I am not living in Tasmania so will not give an opinion on the issue of racism there. What I can say is that the India born population at the last census stood at 1,467. A considerable increase from the 810 five years earlier. This number would be obsolete now will India being our number one source of immigrants in recent years, and standing at about 400,000 India born nation wide.

Percentage wise higher than UK. Tasmania does take a larger percentage of refugees than most states and Bhutanese have a growing presence in the island state.

Perhaps someone will give you an on hand account from the ground on their observations with regards the other questions asked.

Thanks both! Anyone from Hobart in particular?

Hello Yash, Welcome to Australia.

I've not been to Hobart, so I can't say anything in particular.

But you will have to remember that Australia is not Uganda under Idi Amin or any other lawless country. Its a first world nation with rule of law.

The laws are the same from coast to coast and there are cops and other agencies to deal with any incidents of the type you describe. Anything, if you ever face will not be overt as with any other new person settling down in a totally new place.

Edited by ArthurPendragon

Hello,

How big is the Indian community in Hobart/Tasmania? Also, does Racism persist in Hobart against Indians? I've read on the Internet about the same but what is the actual situation?

At the last census (2011) there were 836 Indian born people in the greater Hobart area. There might be a small increase since then, but not the widespread migration found in some other areas of Australia.

I have never heard of any anti Indian racism in this area.

I don't know what you read on the internet but several years ago there were several incidents in Australia involving Indians which were initially assumed to be racist and which gained widespread notoriety in the Indian press. After thorough investigation it was discovered that not one of the incidents was racially motivated....but I'm not sure if this information was widely publicised in India.

At the last census (2011) there were 836 Indian born people in the greater Hobart area. There might be a small increase since then, but not the widespread migration found in some other areas of Australia.

I have never heard of any anti Indian racism in this area.

I don't know what you read on the internet but several years ago there were several incidents in Australia involving Indians which were initially assumed to be racist and which gained widespread notoriety in the Indian press. After thorough investigation it was discovered that not one of the incidents was racially motivated....but I'm not sure if this information was widely publicised in India.

Yes I can understand how media over hypes situations. We shall now forget racism for once.

@Skani, if you don't mind and have the time can we chat(whether on Facebook/Skype etc.). We're desperately wanting to shift to Hobart for 2 reasons:

1) I love nature and Hobart seems the best amongst the cities

2) My wife doesn't like the sun and Hobart seems the least sunny amongst all Australian cities

We understand what limitations Hobart prescribes. Fewer job opportunities, around 30% less pay, increased transportation costs to the main land of Australia etc. But for us we're gaining things in the form of nature, less sun, less rent etc. But there are a few things which I'd like to chat and discuss. Also, we plan to visit Hobart and hence it would be great to even meet someone like you when we come who I know from Internet.

Can you help @Skani?

Hi Yashsr. I did a very lengthy, 5 part, interview with an Indian migrant friend of mine on my website (link in my signature below - look under blog/interviews). I asked him about racism specifically and he gave a very heartening answer. To cut a long story short; in his opinion - no, racism isn't a problem here. I'd add to that that I've never seen any racism in my time here either.

Good luck